Victor Butler leaves Eagles without contract - PFT (2 Viewers)

The real issue is that no team has offered him a contract. If a team were interested in him and his price was halfway reasonable, the team would offer a contract before he leaves their building. So either all four teams are just kicking the tires or his asking price is not reasonable. I'm betting it's the latter.

You have no idea how many contracts he was offered, nor whether he even gave an asking price. All we know is that he didn't sign a contract. There are many reasons why that may be the case, not just the two you are concluding.

This screams red flag to me. This guy is acting like it's his last contract or something. Take your market value (which is obviously less than he thinks), play hard for the next 3-4 years, and make serious money on your next one. He has to prove himself before teams are willing to seriously invest, but to me, he screams a guy who is just looking to get paid.

Maybe he just wanted to enjoy his 15 minutes of fame.....

And then announce his retirement! LOL!

Clearly this dude wants eleventy billion dollars and a mansion made of candy, haha.

Everyone is assuming that it's the players that are holding up signings. Anyone notice how just about every team isn't signing free agents now? There's a report out there that the owners have possibly gotten together and essentially are price-fixing FA this season. It makes more sense than the guy visiting 4 teams and not coming away with a contract. Why hasn't Nnamdi signed with anyone or Freeney or Harrison? It's not because they all want a billion dollar contract.

Everyone is assuming that it's the players that are holding up signings. Anyone notice how just about every team isn't signing free agents now? There's a report out there that the owners have possibly gotten together and essentially are price-fixing FA this season. It makes more sense than the guy visiting 4 teams and not coming away with a contract. Why hasn't Nnamdi signed with anyone or Freeney or Harrison? It's not because they all want a billion dollar contract.

Ed Reed got paid about $5mills/year.......for a 3 year $15mills contract. That's pretty close to the going rate for a safety.

His best move would be signing a short 2 year deal, prove himself more with a contender, then go back on the market in 2 years when he's still in his prime.

I think if this is the case, the Saints should jump all over this.

Assuming they can get Butler for 2 years, it would be ideal if they drafted an OLB like Jones or Mingo and give them time to grow. Especially Mingo. Butler knows the system and Mingo could gain a lot of knowledge backing him up or playing spot duty. That way the rookies don't need to be thrown into the fire right away.

You have no idea how many contracts he was offered, nor whether he even gave an asking price. All we know is that he didn't sign a contract. There are many reasons why that may be the case, not just the two you are concluding.

You're right. I looked back on the different reports the came out of each of his four visits and realized that I was misreading the events. Big difference between not coming away with a contract and not having any contract offered.

But in back checking, I did come across a little blurb from profootballtalk that makes sense regarding Butler's situation:

"It’s increasingly looking like he can be accused of asking for more money than teams are willing to pay him, though... He’s gone to see the Steelers, Browns and Saints and his departure always comes with a note that a deal’s still possible, but Butler’s still a free agent. That suggests that he’s not willing to sign for what the teams have offered or at least he’s not willing to sign until he’s quite sure that no one’s offering him a better deal.

We don’t know of any other scheduled visits, which should mean that Butler’s going to be settling for one of these offers sooner rather than later."

Victor Butler leaves Eagles without a contract | ProFootballTalk

Or there is something that is coming up in his physical. Notice he's taken one for each team. Might not be anything to it, or there may. He could just be trying to start a bidding war.

That's what I was thinking....if your clearly getting similar offers and not accepting something....got's to be the physical that's holding things up

Could be looking for right situation. Wants to start and doesn't want a 2 year contract. If he could find a 1 year contract and start, he'd be set for a big payday.

This situation is freaking weird. Something else has to be going on. he has visited what four teams and nothing. :scratch::idunno:

This dude is swinging for the fences isn't he? He may wanna rething his philosophy a bit. Perhaps a left-center gapper?

Gotta love his confidence though. Swing away Merrill!!!

Why do people assume this is the case?

Do you really think he has no idea what his market level is? Even if you assumed he was that dumb, do you really think his agent is?

Or maybe the rational explanation is that since free agency has slowed to a near stop and salary cap space isn't going anywhere, there's no rush to sign and he's instead smartly visiting/meeting each team looking for the best fit?

Nah, we'll just keeping running with the stupid greedy athlete theory :9:

Personally, I think he is a moron. He has 4 teams wanting his services in four different cities. If I was a 25 year old soon to be millionaire and had 4 different cities wanting me to move there and live for the next 4 years I wouldn't want to visit them. I'd use my magic 8 ball to decide that way fans on message boards don't get restless. This idiot is actually flying to each one, engaging in discussion with his suitors about how he will be used, how much he will be paid, how much he will play and while he is town checking out each city has to offer. By doing the latter he is really upsetting whodat6988, dogpound4life79, igglemania42 and many others.

If i were about to get my first true contract i'd want to think and rethink it a few times. Get to know the coaches, the organization, cities and so on. What's the hurry anyway? I don't see so many bashing asomugha, and to him what is the problem? Give him a break

Why do people assume this is the case?

Do you really think he has no idea what his market level is? Even if you assumed he was that dumb, do you really think his agent is?

Or maybe the rational explanation is that since free agency has slowed to a near stop and salary cap space isn't going anywhere, there's no rush to sign and he's instead smartly visiting/meeting each team looking for the best fit?

Nah, we'll just keeping running with the stupid greedy athlete theory :9:

So thinking that he may be asking too much is labelling him stupid and greedy?

Stretch much?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom