Victor Butler on Sirius XM MTC (1 Viewer)

victor was trying to be polite about it. Same thing with the brees / romo comparison, but at first he couldn't even be politically correct. He just laughed then Tim Ryan and pat kirwin laughed and rephrased the question.

I agree, I wouldn't wanna be on the media end of trash talking another coach. Think he did the wise thing. But when comparing brees and romo... I doubt he could contain himself any longer

First of all thanks for the recap. Secondly, I can't really understand how some pundits pick us to be bad or average next season. They all know that this offense is capable of anything especially that Payton is back now.

Everybody knows the kind of a leader Sean is and that he is back with a chip on his shoulder. The defense was bad last year but we were still able to win several games with that bad defense. So now with a new defensive coordinator and a few FA and draft additions you could tend to believe that this defense could at least improve from last year.

The offense should be improving as well so the team as a whole will improve for sure. The only question is how much improvement we will see from both sides of the ball and that would determine how far we can go next season.

First of all thanks for the recap. Secondly, I can't really understand how some pundits pick us to be bad or average next season. They all know that this offense is capable of anything especially that Payton is back now.

Everybody knows the kind of a leader Sean is and that he is back with a chip on his shoulder. The defense was bad last year but we were still able to win several games with that bad defense. So now with a new defensive coordinator and a few FA and draft additions you could tend to believe that this defense could at least improve from last year.

The offense should be improving as well so the team as a whole will improve for sure. The only question is how much improvement we will see from both sides of the ball and that would determine how far we can go next season.
It's for gambling purposes they do this. If they can get more ppl to bet against a team, then vegas stands to rake in a bit and pays the pundits for influencing the morons to bet against us. Same thing happened with Baltimore in Mile high last yr. That was a give me game and the general public bought into it like it was a sure winner. It's a simliar approach as the stock market. You have these "analysts" comin and telling you what will probably happen with a certain stock to influence ppl to jump on board when they know the stock will actually go down. Its not rocket science.

As for the latter question, I think it'll be a great season. Im not going to say we're off to the big dance again. I have my doubts about it for some reason, but anything's possible.

I can't really understand how some pundits pick us to be bad or average next season.

Although I don't agree with them, I can see why the talking heads have their doubts. They're probably wondering about the left tackle position as Coach said himself that it keeps him up at night. Now, we've done things to address it, but no one, including us, will know anything regarding the LT (or the right tackle -- Strief is serviceable, but not a lock) until closer to the season opener.

And the defense is a wildcard. We brought in Rob Ryan to shore up the D. But with many of the same personnel that fielded last year's defense, there's probably some trepidation on the pundits' parts as to how good it could be. Just like a lot of folks around here, I'm optimistic about the changes. But again, we really won't know until later this year.

I don't put much stock in many of the tv personalities anyway. I'd rather be seen as an underdog or a dark horse than win the offseason and **** the bed when it comes to actual play.

I like us being the underdog , our team went through circumstances that no team ever has last year and still managed 7 wins with the worst defense in the history of the NFL. How could this year be nothing but an improvement over last year

Although I don't agree with them, I can see why the talking heads have their doubts. They're probably wondering about the left tackle position as Coach said himself that it keeps him up at night. Now, we've done things to address it, but no one, including us, will know anything regarding the LT (or the right tackle -- Strief is serviceable, but not a lock) until closer to the season opener.

And the defense is a wildcard. We brought in Rob Ryan to shore up the D. But with many of the same personnel that fielded last year's defense, there's probably some trepidation on the pundits' parts as to how good it could be. Just like a lot of folks around here, I'm optimistic about the changes. But again, we really won't know until later this year.

I don't take much stock in many of the tv personalities anyway. I'd rather be seen as an underdog or a dark horse than win the offseason and **** the bed when it comes to actual play.

I agree. OT (not only LT) is a huge question-mark. Sure...Drew doesn't need GREAT OTs, but they at least have to be servicable. I still have flashbacks of Aldon Smith destroying our two OTs last season.

And I will believe that our defense is good when I see it with my very two eyes. Everyone thought that Spags would improve the defense...and it didn't happen. I am more optimistic now than previously with Spags because I believe that the 3-4 is a better fit for our personnel...but OLB (until they prove themselves) is a huge question mark...and I have no faith in Jenkins at FS.

I dont know what to expect at all from this defense this year...

Additional notes from listening to that interview, he was trying to be polite about Garrett, and said Sean Payton was on a mission this year.
Said Drew Brees is like a "President" amongst the players, "kissing babies," forming a personal bond with everyone on the team, lifting weights competitively with the d-lineman, running sprints with the d-backs, etc.
This guy was so fired up.
Said he can't let his brothers or mother down, and everyone in the organization was family, so he wasn't going to loosen up on the intensity all year, cuz he can't let family down.
The dude was so fired up, I was getting pumped just listening to him while driving the I-12.
I remember thinking, "if this guy's enthusiasm is contagious with the rest of the D, we'll be unstoppable."
I hope someone posts a rip of the interview as it was awesome.
I'm a big Butler fan after hearing it.

The host tried to end it, jokingly, by saying Butler "can't" crack the starting lineup.
He replied, "I don't know what that (can't) means. Don't even know how to spell it."

Here ya go.. got it on the replay:

<embed src="http://www.4shared.com/embed/3626840904/410f0110" width="420" height="50" allowfullscreen="false" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

I am. It seems like the talking heads have pretty much written us off, and that seems like a foolish stance to me. The Mad Genius has had a year to rest and scheme, and the whole team has chips on their shoulders. If Ryan can field a decent defense and we luck out with injuries, this team will be back in the playoffs.

I don't know about the "Chips on their shoulders" thing. I mean, they should have had chips on their shoulders last year and came out playing like lambs. I never truly saw any aggressiveness from the team at all last year, so I kind of take things like that with a grain of salt. Sorta I'll believe it when I see it. I've always had good feelings about Saints teams since day 1, but have learned over the years to temper my enthusiasm to some degree. I can't believe how talented this team finally is. We've had this great team going on 8 years now and sadly, I've still seen them squander the talent we've had, not play up to their capabilities. Still, it's been a great run. This year, switching to the 34 is exciting because our best defensive teams were 34's. Some say it will take a while to acclimate to the new scheme, but I don't think so. The reason is that in the beginning of the season, teams won't know what to expect from our defense and that will help us. We've had players on this defense that came from a 34 defense and that will help us. Then we've brought in some players that played in a 34 defense and also played for our DC. I sadly haven't seen the SP/Loomis tandem put together an A draft, but a bunch of B drafts will get you there too, it just takes a little longer. Still, I'm extremely pleased with the draft and possibly even more so with our UDFA haul this year. It's crazy how we got at least 3 players that should have been drafted in rounds 2-4 in UDFA! I can see between 4-6 of these new additions playing significant roles and even become starters. With all this excitement, we have to realize that other teams in our division have made some serious strides as well. Look at Tampa for instance. They could come out of nowhere this year if our team doesn't pay attention to detail and give it everything they have. This is definitely going to be an interesting season to say the least.:9:

I don't know about the "Chips on their shoulders" thing. I mean, they should have had chips on their shoulders last year and came out playing like lambs. I never truly saw any aggressiveness from the team at all last year...

I think that was a result of two things:

1) A misguided attempt to not look over aggressive. The defense just had one of the biggest scandals in professional football, tied like a brick around their collective neck with Goodell pushing them off the pier. We've all seen how non-Saints fans reacted to it, regardless of the (obvious lack of) evidence. They were guilty in the public's eye. That had to have affected them in some way.

2) The coordinator, the guy that the squad looked to for guidance. You mentioned a lamb -- that's about how I would describe Spagnuolo. He had zero fire or pugnacity. But with Rob Ryan here, I think we'll have those qualities in spades. Not only will the defense scheme look different, I think we'll see an entirely new defense this year.

Then again -- its still early into preseason. Come October, you might find me screaming at the TV about yet another poor angle or series of missed tackles. But I don't think so. :ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom