Victor Butler taking physical in Cleveland (mod edit) (1 Viewer)

If he were anything other than a back up, the cowboys would have let Spencer go and signed him as the starter. the guy does have more teams than most interested in him

I guess he will continue to tour to see if he can find someone foolish enough to overpay.

This^.

He is looking for the largest contract that he can get. You can't blame him for that but you have to wonder if he wants to be a starter or just a well paid back up.

He visited the Browns who have Kruger, Sheard, and Groves. Now he's visiting Philly who have Conner Barwin, Trent Cole, Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry and Phillip Hunt. Unless Philly is unsure about Cole & Graham I can not see a big role for Butler.

A pass rusher is what we need. Wilson is NOT a SOLB. And even if he was...you can't be a defense with only two OLBs on your ENTIRE roster. The Saints need AT LEAST two more OLBs to just fill the roster (and that's assuming that Wilson can play SOLB...which he can't).

correct

we essentially don't have a legit SLB at this point

Wilson would make for a terrific WILB however

A pass rusher is what we need. Wilson is NOT a SOLB. And even if he was...you can't be a defense with only two OLBs on your ENTIRE roster. The Saints need AT LEAST two more OLBs to just fill the roster (and that's assuming that Wilson can play SOLB...which he can't).

Why do you think Wilson can't play SOLB? And what makes you think that Butler can when he is a pass rusher? We have pass rushers, what we need is a guy who can set the edge and cover TEs at the SOLB spot. I don't think Butler is that guy. Wilson might be, but it remains to be seen.

We have nobody on the outside anywhere near his level. They may be physically the same size but the similarity ends there until proven otherwise.

Victor Butler played 300 snaps and had 25 tackles and 3 sacks
Junior Galette played 301 snaps and had 20 tackles and 5 sacks
Junior is also 10 lbs heavier and faster to boot.

Sounds like this girl I know.

Butler is a $2mil player looking for a $5mil contract. 3 teams none willing to over pay.

And don't the Eagles run a 4-3?

Victor Butler played 300 snaps and had 25 tackles and 3 sacks
Junior Galette played 301 snaps and had 20 tackles and 5 sacks
Junior is also 10 lbs heavier and faster to boot.

Sounds like this girl I know.

Butler is a $2mil player looking for a $5mil contract. 3 teams none willing to over pay.

And don't the Eagles run a 4-3?
I think they're switching to a 3-4 but i may be wrong

Why do you think Wilson can't play SOLB? And what makes you think that Butler can when he is a pass rusher? We have pass rushers, what we need is a guy who can set the edge and cover TEs at the SOLB spot. I don't think Butler is that guy. Wilson might be, but it remains to be seen.

Don't forget about Hawthorne he can set the edge and cover too. Wilson has the physical skills for SOLB the only thing that concerns me is how quickly he will be able to read react.

I remember folks sayin since RR didnt have him in for a visit, either he didnt like Butler, or felt he just wasnt that good. After leaving Pitt w/o a contract, it was reported that Butler was interested in the Saints, probably because of his ties with RR. A few days later, Butler was here for a visit.

So right now, its safe to say: Rob Ryan KNOWS Victor Butler and what he can do, Rob Ryan brought him in for a visit, and Butler is interested in playing for him and the Saints.

I feel we should sign him because: He knows RRs system, and he played BOTH olb spots in Dallas. With only Junior and Tez at OLB, he would give us much needed experience AND depth at OLB in RRs 3-4. He's also still young, only 25.

If you are unsure about Butler, then Tez should be a much bigger question mark. Like Ive said before, this will be Tez's 3rd DC and OLB in the 3-4 will be his 3rd position....in his first 3 years as a pro! Many of us have penciled him in at OLB, in large part cause Tez is one of the best athletes we have on the team and has the phyical tools to play OLB. But nobody has ANY idea if or how well he can play it.

So much so, even IF we sign VB, IMO, we still need to draft another OLB in the draft. Heck, in his mock, with our first 2 picks, Charlie Campbell from WalterFootball, has us taking TWO OLBs: Mingo AND Jamie Collins!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom