Victor Butler (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Victor Butler, OLB Dallas Cowboys | Players | NFL.com

Listened to a Sirius interview with him on the ride home. Really liked what I heard from him, intelligent, passionate guy who really seemed like he would fit well with us from a character standpoint. I'm sure Ryan will have good insight on him, young guy who would likely be much cheaper than Spencer. Not that familiar with him as a player though, is he a rush backer or inside guy?

rush backer and im hoping we go for him instead of Anthony Spencer. Cheaper and Younger...knows Ryan's system and could be the 3rd rusher @ worst or could start if Tez/Junya don't pan out as OLB's.

Would also give us some leeway to not draft an OLB with our 1st pick.

I know guys are screaming OLB but the purpose of switching to a 3-4 is so that you can find tweeners later in the draft. Id prefer we sure up the line first. Richardson/Floyd if either is available and then get a passrusher in the 3rd/4th.

Whts the use of having one of these speed guys if the QB can just step up in the pocket. Inside pressure is more important and we haven't had anyone that can bring inside pressure in a while. That was supposed to be Ellis job but he never gave us consistency there. Id like to address that first...then look for guys that can work the outisde. The draft is filled with enough of them that u don't have to take a Dion Jordan or Ezekiel Ansah with our 15th.

rush backer and im hoping we go for him instead of Anthony Spencer. Cheaper and Younger...knows Ryan's system and could be the 3rd rusher @ worst or could start if Tez/Junya don't pan out as OLB's.

Would also give us some leeway to not draft an OLB with our 1st pick.

I know guys are screaming OLB but the purpose of switching to a 3-4 is so that you can find tweeners later in the draft. Id prefer we sure up the line first. Richardson/Floyd if either is available and then get a passrusher in the 3rd/4th.

Whts the use of having one of these speed guys if the QB can just step up in the pocket. Inside pressure is more important and we haven't had anyone that can bring inside pressure in a while. That was supposed to be Ellis job but he never gave us consistency there. Id like to address that first...then look for guys that can work the outisde. The draft is filled with enough of them that u don't have to take a Dion Jordan or Ezekiel Ansah with our 15th.

I was having similar thoughts that bringing someone like this in might give us more leeway to go BPA. I was thinking offensive tackle in the 1st round and using Bunkley at the nose, seemed like he excelled there with the Broncos. Would be nice to have a bonafide stud at rush backer but even a 1st round pick isn't a guarantee as we've seen. Seems like you have a better chance getting a stud off tackle in the 1st.

I was having similar thoughts that bringing someone like this in might give us more leeway to go BPA. I was thinking offensive tackle in the 1st round and using Bunkley at the nose, seemed like he excelled there with the Broncos. Would be nice to have a bonafide stud at rush backer but even a 1st round pick isn't a guarantee as we've seen. Seems like you have a better chance getting a stud off tackle in the 1st.

This is my opinion but its a strong opinion....Charles Brown was a former 2nd round pick. That was considered a steal where we got him. Each year he has gotten progressively better...he just can't stay healthy.

With that being said none of the injuries have been really serious and our team is IR happy. I think Bushrod will be allowed to walk and we will sign a 2nd tier LT to come in and compete with Brown.

Remember we don't value the tackle position THAT much and the remedy for our offensive line not giving up so much pressure isn't to get better to players...necessarily. We could just run the ball a little more. Its also not the same case that we had with Nicks last year. We didn't have any depth behind him...Charles has been used as a swing tackle behind bushrod for years now and he knows the system. So its the next man up mentality@ this point. That would be Brown.

As far as your suggestion of going LT early id be ok with that...if theres a time to get a Franchise LT and not have to worry about it crippling your salary cap like in years past it would be now.

In Dallas the critique against him is that he's weak at the point of attack and not very good at stopping the run. However, he is a nice situational pass rusher and someone with knowledge of the system.

In Dallas the critique against him is that he's weak at the point of attack and not very good at stopping the run. However, he is a nice situational pass rusher and someone with knowledge of the system.

So he could compete directly with Galette for the rush LB on the weakside. We don't have to project if he can stand up or not like we are having to do with Galette.

Chris Faulk or Oubuchi (sp?) from Virginia would be good 3-4 round picks for LT if none of the top 3 OT's are still there in the 1st.

I thought we were still around 15 million $ over the cap though? How could we sign anybody if we have negative money available?

When do we have to get under the salary cap by? Is it March 1st?

I thought we were still around 15 million $ over the cap though? How could we sign anybody if we have negative money available?

When do we have to get under the salary cap by? Is it March 1st?

You have no faith in Loomis magic?

Bring him in NOW. We need as many players that are familiar with this system as possible. Anything to ease the transition. Look at Spags, if he would have stayed around 1-2 more years the defense may have consistently progressed, notice I said may have. The transition is not going to happen over night, but we can't wait 2 years to completely rebuild this defense. Unfortunately we do not have that luxury (Brees' age). So anyone we can bring in that knows RR's system and can contribute I see no problem with it.

I like the guy from Indy as well I believe he formerly was with the Jets, but I only see both players as situational depth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom