Victor Cruz and Stevie Brown RFA Giants (1 Viewer)

If I remember correctly, you can't even offer a contract to the player unless you have the exact pick needed to reimburse the current team.. there's no bargaining allowed. And I believe it has to be your original pick also.. you can't offer a #1 or 2 you got in a trade from another team.

I've always heard that you can negotiate a lower trade on a RFA aside from his original tender.

But the giants can match any offer on cruz

Need some input on this. When teams make the tender, do they not retain the right to accept a lower offer if it suits them to do so.
For example, if the Saints received an offer on Ivory of a 3rd RD Draft Pick, even thought Ivory was given a 2nd RD Tender ?

I've always heard that you can negotiate a lower trade on a RFA aside from his original tender.

Ok.. here's the language in the CBA:

The four offers teams can tender restricted free agents are, per Article 9, section 2 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement:

1. Right of First Refusal Only. One-year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 salary of at least $1.323 million. No compensation is applied to the original team if another team signs this player to an offer sheet. This is usually applied with players that entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent;
  2. Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at Player’s Original Draft Round: One-year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $1.323 million for right of first refusal and original draft round compensation. If the restricted free agent entered the league in the sixth round of the NFL draft, the original team receives a six in the next NFL draft from the new team.
  3. Right of First Refusal, One Second Round Draft Selection: One-year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $2.023 million for right of first refusal and second draft round compensation. No matter how the restricted free agent entered the NFL, the original team receives a second-round pick from the new team if said new team signs the player to an offer sheet that the original team isn't willing to match.
  4. Right of First Refusal, One First Round Draft Selection: One-year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $2.879 million for right of first refusal and first draft round compensation. No matter how the restricted free agent entered the NFL, the original team receives a first-round pick from the new team if said new team signs the player to an offer sheet that the original team isn't willing to match.
Here is the section on the Offer Sheet:

(c) No First Refusal Exercise Notice. If the Prior Club does not give the Restricted Free Agent the First Refusal Exercise Notice within the applicable period, the player and the New Club shall be deemed to have entered into a binding agreement, which they shall promptly formalize in a Player Contract, containing (i) all the Principal Terms; (ii) those terms of the NFL Player Contract not modified by the Principal Terms; and (iii) such additional terms, not less favorable to the Restricted Free Agent than those contained in the Offer Sheet, as may be agreed upon between the Restricted Free Agent and the New Club (subject to Section 5 below), and the Restricted Free Agent’s Prior Club shall receive from the New Club the Draft Choice Compensation, if any, specified in Section 2 above of this Article. Any Club that does not have available, in the upcoming Draft, the selection choice or choices (its own or better choices in the applicable rounds) needed to provide Draft Choice Compensation in the event of a timely First Refusal Exercise Notice may not sign an Offer Sheet in such circumstances.

So the way I read it, there are only four specified levels and the club must have it's own (or better) choices in the applicable rounds to even submit an offer sheet. :scratch:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/2/1...estricted-free-agents-and-compensation-levels

Ok.. here's the language in the CBA:

The four offers teams can tender restricted free agents are, per Article 9, section 2 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement:

1. Right of First Refusal Only. One-year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 salary of at least $1.323 million. No compensation is applied to the original team if another team signs this player to an offer sheet. This is usually applied with players that entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent;
  2. Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at Player’s Original Draft Round: One-year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $1.323 million for right of first refusal and original draft round compensation. If the restricted free agent entered the league in the sixth round of the NFL draft, the original team receives a six in the next NFL draft from the new team.
  3. Right of First Refusal, One Second Round Draft Selection: One-year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $2.023 million for right of first refusal and second draft round compensation. No matter how the restricted free agent entered the NFL, the original team receives a second-round pick from the new team if said new team signs the player to an offer sheet that the original team isn't willing to match.
  4. Right of First Refusal, One First Round Draft Selection: One-year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $2.879 million for right of first refusal and first draft round compensation. No matter how the restricted free agent entered the NFL, the original team receives a first-round pick from the new team if said new team signs the player to an offer sheet that the original team isn't willing to match.
Here is the section on the Offer Sheet:

(c) No First Refusal Exercise Notice. If the Prior Club does not give the Restricted Free Agent the First Refusal Exercise Notice within the applicable period, the player and the New Club shall be deemed to have entered into a binding agreement, which they shall promptly formalize in a Player Contract, containing (i) all the Principal Terms; (ii) those terms of the NFL Player Contract not modified by the Principal Terms; and (iii) such additional terms, not less favorable to the Restricted Free Agent than those contained in the Offer Sheet, as may be agreed upon between the Restricted Free Agent and the New Club (subject to Section 5 below), and the Restricted Free Agent’s Prior Club shall receive from the New Club the Draft Choice Compensation, if any, specified in Section 2 above of this Article. Any Club that does not have available, in the upcoming Draft, the selection choice or choices (its own or better choices in the applicable rounds) needed to provide Draft Choice Compensation in the event of a timely First Refusal Exercise Notice may not sign an Offer Sheet in such circumstances.

So the way I read it, there are only four specified levels and the club must have it's own (or better) choices in the applicable rounds to even submit an offer sheet. :scratch:

Explaining Restricted Free Agents And Compensation Levels - Cincy Jungle

I know that but I think the team that holds his rights can trade him at their will, just like any other player for whatever they choose, regardless of tender.

So a team can't put on offer sheet on a player without the necessary compensation (so you are correct on that) but the other team that has the player under contract as a RFA can trade him under his RFA status for whatever they choose, leaving the other team either paying his tender or giving him a better contract.

Worse defense in league, imo can't trade first rounder for a wr this year. You also built through the draft.

I know that but I think the team that holds his rights can trade him at their will, just like any other player for whatever they choose, regardless of tender.

So a team can't put on offer sheet on a player without the necessary compensation (so you are correct on that) but the other team that has the player under contract as a RFA can trade him under his RFA status for whatever they choose, leaving the other team either paying his tender or giving him a better contract.

A RFA by definition has no contract.. his original team simply has the rights to match an offer sheet. He cannot be traded.

You may be thinking of the Wes Welker trade from the Dolphins to the Pats in 2007. Wes was a RFA and the Pats were all ready to submit an offer sheet to the Dolphins. Instead, they decided to work out a trade to avoid the possibility of the Dolphins accepting to match the offer sheet. The key here is that the Dolphins could not trade Wes unless he had a contract.. once the trade details were worked out, he signed a one year contract with the Dolphins (maybe he just signed his tender). He could then be traded.

SI.com - Writers - Peter King: Pats trade for WR Welker - Monday March 5, 2007 5:00PM

Worse defense in league, imo can't trade first rounder for a wr this year. You also built through the draft.

Yeah and Naw:

Offenses that can stay on the field, keep the defense fresh.
The ability to stretch the field cannot be underestimated.
The credible deep threat forces Safeties to stay deep and cover, so the running game and short / intermediate passing game have better chance of success.

Interestingly, success on Offense can translate into better results on Defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom