Victor Cruz Released.... (1 Viewer)

eastlos82

Veteran
Reaction score
So do we take a look at this guy or do we pass on him knowing that we are set at this position? Thoughts?

He still needs a prove it type of year since his injury. Some team will take a chance on him for a moderate contract, our goals should be focused elsewhere.

I guess you would look at him like a used car with the bumper falling off. He already has a superbowl and will probably look for the money coming off of the two injuries. I'd pass.

we have plenty of holes to fill and not a ton of resources to do it. i wouldn't even consider calling his agent much less bringing him in.

So do we take a look at this guy or do we pass on him knowing that we are set at this position? Thoughts?

The Saints have two #1 Wide Receivers with Thomas and Cooks, an excellent Slot player in Snead, and extremely cheap #4 options in Coleman and Lampman. Now Curtis Johnson is back, so the stock of Coleman and Lampman are only going to go up, as well as the "Big Three".

Cruz isn't some sort of transcendent talent like a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, he's not a guy who you find room for regardless of your current receiving corps. On top of that, he's not as big as Michael Thomas, not as fast as Brandin Cooks, and not as shifty/infuriating as Willie Snead. He'd be competing to be the #4, but instead of the Saints spending $600k on a #4, they'd be spending a couple million.

The Saints have two #1 Wide Receivers with Thomas and Cooks, an excellent Slot player in Snead, and extremely cheap #4 options in Coleman and Lampman. Now Curtis Johnson is back, so the stock of Coleman and Lampman are only going to go up, as well as the "Big Three".

Cruz isn't some sort of transcendent talent like a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, he's not a guy who you find room for regardless of your current receiving corps. On top of that, he's not as big as Michael Thomas, not as fast as Brandin Cooks, and not as shifty/infuriating as Willie Snead. He'd be competing to be the #4, but instead of the Saints spending $600k on a #4, they'd be spending a couple million.

Not to mention, I'm sure there are much more appealing options for Cruz out there. If I were him, I wouldn't want to compete with Thomas, Cooks, or Snead. I'd find another team where I get a better shot at playing time.

Not to mention, I'm sure there are much more appealing options for Cruz out there. If I were him, I wouldn't want to compete with Thomas, Cooks, or Snead. I'd find another team where I get a better shot at playing time.

He'll be an Eagle most likely. They don't have squat at WR now, their #1 receiver is a slot guy that might not be as good as Willie Snead.

I will pass. We got our 3 main guys. Maybe Coleman can improved. He is proven to fit in this team. Already have a few young guys from last year waiting to get an opportunity for bigger roles.

Are you thinking of Hakeem Nicks?

No Hakeem Nicks was a FA when we got him. There were whispers the Giants were going to release him and there were a few news clippings we were interested in him...about the time we were looking at Vet Wr's/Boldin etc etc. I was wondering why i was getting neg repped? Shrugs..

There was even a thread posted here last year that talked about it

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/if-released-saints-interested-victor-cruz-353029/#.WKIIT1MrKUk

Tweet was included
https://twitter.com/JohnJHendrix/status/706896179267641344

Apparently I'm on google and these threads too much

let's see, he will be 31 this season,
he was just released by the Giants,
he caught 39 passes last year
he caught 0 in 2015
he caught 23 in 2014
he hasn't played a complete season since 2012
we have three excellent receivers and huge needs on D
I guess I'm sorting of thinking no here

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom