Saints (vid) Mike Nolan gives props to Thor (Anzalone) (1 Viewer)

I hope we play a lil more Cover 2 this year too! IMO, we didn’t have the players, esp LB to run it in the past, But after watching our LBs play last year, finally, we do. All we need to do now is find another S to pair with Marcus on the back end, and we could be a pretty good Cover 2 D.

I agree. 2016 we ran it a lot. Early 2017, especially the first two weeks, Vacarro proved he couldn’t be trusted in deep halves. We had to switch away from it and that’s where we found our success.

I think we took two safeties this draft to gamble at filling the deep-half need. To add to what you said it really feels like Williams is the only safety we can trust in a deep zone; which may be shocking despite him famously missing a tackle.

I agree. 2016 we ran it a lot. Early 2017, especially the first two weeks, Vacarro proved he couldn’t be trusted in deep halves. We had to switch away from it and that’s where we found our success.

I think we took two safeties this draft to gamble at filling the deep-half need. To add to what you said it really feels like Williams is the only safety we can trust in a deep zone; which may be shocking despite him famously missing a tackle.

Yeah, right away, Chauncey is proving he can PLAY....almost anywhere! But I think for now, they like him closer to the line as a SS/ Nickel/ slot/ LB/ whatever! ?

According to the Saints, they had Saquan Hampton rated as a top 70 player on their board. Unlike CGJ, Hampton is more of a “pure” FS. Given the lack of depth there, he has a great opportunity to make the 53.

Despite that forgettable last play in Minny, Marcus had a very good rookie season. His play fell off last year, but so did the play of the all the other DBs, esp the CBs, which precipitated the move to trade for Eli Apple. Things were so bad, Apple was signed on Tuesday n started in the very next game vs Minnesota!

If not CGJ or Hampton, why not give one of the CBs a shot at S during TC and see how he does? I nominate PJ Williams. After moving to Nickel back, he played pretty well last year. But with Chauncey n PRob back, we’re kinda deep there. PJ may not be the fastest, but he pretty much checks off on all the other attributes for a Cover 2 safety. He has the size, and is a good tackler. But he’s also quicker than he is fast, and has good ball skills. I think playing deep and able to see what’s in front of him, then react accordingly, is a good fit for his overall skillset. Jus a thought.

We’ll see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom