(video) Drew says Meachem's strip-fumble one of top-5 plays he's ever seen (1 Viewer)

When it happened I was stunned. I still watch in near-disbelief whenever I see the replay. Without any context, it's got to be one of the great individual plays. You can watch a lot of football and never see anything like it.

I saw the Meachem interception-strip-touch down live. One of my most enduring Saints plays of all time.

And very air rushed out of that cold stadium on the missed field goal in the fourth, that was when I thought/knew the Saints are gonna win this game.
Were you tailgating with the rest of the SR crew? Wamland, St Greatness, SEAKING, just to name a few. We all were there freezing our butts off :hihi:

When Sean Suisham doinked the goalposts of that FG you felt the air go out of not just the stadium, but the Redskins players as well, That whiff gave the ball back to the Saints and let to the game-tying drive. After Suisham missed (but before the game-tying TD), one of the Redskins fans around us said "Enjoy the Super Bowl, it's your year" :)

Were you tailgating with the rest of the SR crew? Wamland, St Greatness, SEAKING, just to name a few. We all were there freezing our butts off :hihi:

When Sean Suisham doinked the goalposts of that FG you felt the air go out of not just the stadium, but the Redskins players as well, That whiff gave the ball back to the Saints and let to the game-tying drive. After Suisham missed (but before the game-tying TD), one of the Redskins fans around us said "Enjoy the Super Bowl, it's your year" :)

Cool story; thanks! :9:

:gosaints:

that game was amazing. werent we down 10 with like 5 mins left in the game?

the damn redskins always give brees/payton trouble. its crazy.

He turned out being a really strange cat.

:idunno:

Bill+Harris+Dallas+Cowboys+v+New+Orleans+Saints+1K9BZkfhfl7l.jpg

I was at that game.

I still remember when Shaun Suisham missed that basic FG for the Skins that would have won the game.

I never thought the Saints would be given such a lucky charm

that game was amazing. werent we down 10 with like 5 mins left in the game?

the damn redskins always give brees/payton trouble. its crazy.

I think that was a big part of the importance of that game. The Saints had really struggled against the Skins in recent years. It just seemed like a game the Saints would lose...but that play essentially changed our fate. After that game I sincerely felt that the Saints were never out of a game against any odds. The Saints level of confidence that season was unlike any other in team history, and it's probably the reason it stands as our only championship. Even the great 2011 team didn't have the same "feel" as that 2009 team...even though they were probably more talented.

I remember living in an apartment at the time and not being able to afford Sunday ticket and watching the game via NFL.com's play by play with no video.

I remember seeing Int, then a pause, then a bunch of squiggles ending with 7 points, and spending 15 minutes on the phone with my wife (girl friend at the time) trying to figure out what happened.

My best memory from that season (outside of the post season) was walking to a bar close to where I lived and watching the saints vs pats game. My friend was bar tending that night and no one else was there. They had just opened and beer was on special for .75 cents a piece. The hangover the next day was insane.

ahhh memories.

No disrespect to Drew........because he is more than entitled to his own opinion.........but I can't go top-5 on that. Top 10, maybe....but even then I'd have to stop and really think about it.

There are at least 2, if not 3, plays made by Aaron Rodgers alone that would probably qualify as more unbelievable/better than the Meachem play.

Not to mention that OBJ catch on SNF a few seasons ago. Or how about the River City Relay from 2003 ? And that's without even stopping to consider any plays from SBs over the years..

No disrespect to Drew........because he is more than entitled to his own opinion.........but I can't go top-5 on that. Top 10, maybe....but even then I'd have to stop and really think about it.

There are at least 2, if not 3, plays made by Aaron Rodgers alone that would probably qualify as more unbelievable/better than the Meachem play.

Not to mention that OBJ catch on SNF a few seasons ago. Or how about the River City Relay from 2003 ? And that's without even stopping to consider any plays from SBs over the years..

You're right, if you're just looking at the play and nothing else.

Let's add a few intangibles:

1. The Saints had already experienced an uphill comeback (on the road) vs. Miami. Had the Saints dropped that game to a less talented Redskins' team, the rest of the league that year would have dropped its narrative about the Saints being a powerhouse. The team was down... and down big. Washington had been taking it to the Saints in that first half.

2. Meachem had the presence of mind to make a bee-line to the ball carrier, and went right for the ball. If you examine the video, he made his way through three other Redskins (who were already in downfield blocking mode) to get to Kareem Moore. Tell me if that's an easy task!!!!

3. Not only was Meachem looking to get the ball back, but he stripped it and sped downfield for a strip-pick-six. It was truly a GAME-CHANGER of a play.

If you take a close look at the River City Relay, if Aaron Brooks doesn't make a crackback block on a defender who was closing in, Jerome Pathon might not have gotten into the end zone. (check it out at the 0:22 second mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtW6sAcKABs
If you look at the individual parts of the River City Relay, it isn't so spectacular. But put it all together, and it's "money!"

Again, if you just look at Meachem's getting the ball and running it back... that alone wouldn't have made it a great play. But when you add it all up (1-3, above) you have a play that's truly remarkable! :cool:

Just my :tpenny:

You're right, if you're just looking at the play and nothing else.

Let's add a few intangibles:

1. The Saints had already experienced an uphill comeback (on the road) vs. Miami. Had the Saints dropped that game to a less talented Redskins' team, the rest of the league that year would have dropped its narrative about the Saints being a powerhouse. The team was down... and down big. Washington had been taking it to the Saints in that first half.

2. Meachem had the presence of mind to make a bee-line to the ball carrier, and went right for the ball. If you examine the video, he made his way through three other Redskins (who were already in downfield blocking mode) to get to Kareem Moore. Tell me if that's an easy task!!!!

3. Not only was Meachem looking to get the ball back, but he stripped it and sped downfield for a strip-pick-six. It was truly a GAME-CHANGER of a play.

If you take a close look at the River City Relay, if Aaron Brooks doesn't make a crackback block on a defender who was closing in, Jerome Pathon might not have gotten into the end zone. (check it out at the 0:22 second mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtW6sAcKABs
If you look at the individual parts of the River City Relay, it isn't so spectacular. But put it all together, and it's "money!"

Again, if you just look at Meachem's getting the ball and running it back... that alone wouldn't have made it a great play. But when you add it all up (1-3, above) you have a play that's truly remarkable! :cool:

Just my :tpenny:

I loved the play too..........and I remember how big it was when it happened...

I just can't go top-5 all time on it. Your breakdown of events was solid though. :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom