Video games may be a problem, but not in the way most think. (1 Viewer)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
We have all seen the "violent video games" as a reason for many of today's shooters. And like many I think it is short sighted to blame the violent content in games on our violent culture.

But there is an aspect games, and especially online multiplayer games like World of Warcraft can be to blame in some way.

It comes in the form of neglect. Some of the first large and extremely popular games to enter the market were Ultima Online and Everquest. these were both prior to the largest to date, being World of Warcraft. To be successful in these games you had to commit many hours a day with other players to achieve the higher content of the games. These games require a lot of focus and attention, so things like being an observant parent can go by the wayside. These massive multiplayer games debuted in the mid-late 90s and shooters in age ranges we see today(21-25) were 3-7 years old during this time. Child neglect can do much harm to that of a developing mind.

Just search the text string 'parents neglect child for video game'. You will see just how many stories there are on this over the years. Yes these are extreme and news worthy examples, but there are millions of children over the last 2 decades who have suffered from neglect because of these types of video games.

So if you play these games and have young children, how about thinking about them before developing your character in the game.

Last edited:
'parents neglect child for ________'

you could insert about 4 million things in there and they would all be true....

So if you play these games and have young children, how about thinking about them before developing your character in the game.

I play WoW and my kids are totally fine. The 10 year old is raising the 6 year old. At least I think she's 10. Anyway, the 10ish one is raising the boy who's around 6, give or take a year or two. The 6ish year old is raising the baby/toddler. I don't know when the dividing line is between those two stages, but I figure she must be somewhere around there. I mean, like, she can walk and stuff but her elocution is still pretty obviously developmental. And the 2 year old baby toddler being feeds the cat. And I'm pretty sure I've seen the cat in the last month or two.

They're all capable.

The rogue, meanwhile, can't level itself.

Duh.

#logic

If a person has the disposition to "neglect a child" due to a video game then if you remove the video game, the neglect would come from another avenue. Some people just have addictive personalities to whatever their vice might be. Put "needing help" to the side, it is ultimately not the video game's fault, it is the parent's fault. How they chose to respond to the situation is on them.

Please do not take my statement as trying to be cold to people with addition problems, I just feel the personal responsibility is the root to every sort of recovery.

If a person has the disposition to "neglect a child" due to a video game then if you remove the video game, the neglect would come from another avenue. Some people just have addictive personalities to whatever their vice might be.

WoW has nothing on Starcraft in South Korea. One out of ten South Koreans bought the game. It was an obsessive spectator sport. At its peak, in the US, one out of 50 people in the US were playing WoW.

South Korea was 5 times more obsessed with SC than the US was with WoW.

And South Korea has obviously had 5 times the violent culture the US has had in the last few years. So clearly, there's something to this.

I play WoW and my kids are totally fine. The 10 year old is raising the 6 year old. At least I think she's 10. Anyway, the 10ish one is raising the boy who's around 6, give or take a year or two. The 6ish year old is raising the baby/toddler. I don't know when the dividing line is between those two stages, but I figure she must be somewhere around there. I mean, like, she can walk and stuff but her elocution is still pretty obviously developmental. And the 2 year old baby toddler being feeds the cat. And I'm pretty sure I've seen the cat in the last month or two.

They're all capable.

The rogue, meanwhile, can't level itself.

Duh.

#logic

Just let Netflix raise them all.

Just let Netflix raise them all.

:hihi:

I don't know what the 10 year old does. But I did buy her a Chromecast so she can just use her voice to turn on Netflix and YouTube and whatever else. I also removed all of the child protection services, because I got tired of being harassed to "approve" this or "give permission" for that. But from downstairs basement - aka my WoW Garrison - I can hear them periodically say, "Ok Google, show me..." and I just tune out the rest.

In all seriousness, talking about devices....

One thing that I don't understand is the phone. Maybe it's because I was a late adopter to the "smart" phone - I was the last person I personally knew who had a flip phone, by a pretty fair margin. And then I didn't pay for data. So this 'device' is something I can put down really easily.

But I have spent time with people who have real difficulty putting it down. I don't know enough about addiction, clinically, but this can be pretty damn intense.

Maybe they are watching Netflix?

Broadcast TV is the worst offender of all imho. Why do they get a pass year after year?

I have heard pastors also comment on video game addiction being a force in the number of divorces much more than in decades past.
I don't know that you can say if someone has video game addiction and you took the games away, they would just get addicted to something else. Probably some would and some wouldn't.

I have heard pastors also comment on video game addiction being a force in the number of divorces much more than in decades past.

i am sure that has nothing to do with crazy women that demand full attention at all times

I don't know that you can say if someone has video game addiction and you took the games away, they would just get addicted to something else. Probably some would and some wouldn't.

I don't think that's accurate at all. I only played for like 8 hours a day. Same as a job. I mean, I also had a job. But people have 2 jobs so it was just like 2 jobs. I don't think gaming has anything to do with it people getting divorced.

But I'll ask my wife when she comes to pick up the kids from the long weekend.

If World of Warcraft were a problem, I'm pretty sure the horrible reception to Battle for Azeroth cured most of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom