Video of Jenkins at corner 2009 (1 Viewer)

He was pretty good that year. What happened?!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Idk. Its kinda weird. In 2011 he played as a single center fielder safety cause Harper was always blitzing or staying near the LOS. This year, he only needed to watch half of the back field.

Im gonna take a best educated guess and say that the corners playing zone and failing horribly put Jenkins in bad position that didnt suit his strength.

The corners job is to undercut the passing route. Jenkins job is to stop the big play. Perhaps he was coached to play for the tackle instead of the ball while in the air...... whos really to say

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Idk. Its kinda weird. In 2011 he played as a single center fielder safety cause Harper was always blitzing or staying near the LOS. This year, he only needed to watch half of the back field.

Im gonna take a best educated guess and say that the corners playing zone and failing horribly put Jenkins in bad position that didnt suit his strength.

The corners job is to undercut the passing route. Jenkins job is to stop the big play. Perhaps he was coached to play for the tackle instead of the ball while in the air...... whos really to say

It was a combination of bad communication all around from corners to safeties. I didn't like Jenkins playing 20 yards deep as a single high safety in previous years because I thought he should be placed in a position to make more plays. Spags let Harper play "cover safety" and less in the box blitz/run defender so Jenkins could be more active but like I said there was massive communication failures between he and Harper, and between the 2 of them and any corner you'd like to consider.

I think you may be on to something. There was obvious and chronic lack of understanding in the secondary last year. His turd bucket season might have been a result of a) sometimes him not knowing what he's supposed to be doing, and b) those around him not knowing what they're supposed to be doing. A lot of times when we saw him running in late, it was because he was trying to clean up someone else's failure. If we got a better FS, I'd still be fine with switching him to SS.

He was pretty good that year. What happened?!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
No, he wasn't. What happened was people referred to sites like PFF - which is almost nothing more than a random number generator - and therefore thought he did well.

All I see in this video is missed tackles and blown coverage.

:idunno:

Jenkins is "okay" at best. Bottom line is, we need him for depth. What I see playing out is, he will compete with IAQ for the starting position and lose. Will he compete for a corner position? Idk, but I don't see him beating Corey White. I really think that a few years from now, people are going to be saying that White was the steal of last years draft. He is built for success, and will probably climb over p-rob in the depth chart this preseason.

All I see in this video is missed tackles and blown coverage.

:idunno:

Jenkins is "okay" at best. Bottom line is, we need him for depth. What I see playing out is, he will compete with IAQ for the starting position and lose. Will he compete for a corner position? Idk, but I don't see him beating Corey White. I really think that a few years from now, people are going to be saying that White was the steal of last years draft. He is built for success, and will probably climb over p-rob in the depth chart this preseason.

Really it's all or nothing, I don't see Jenkins being a non starter or a depth guy at all. Either he is starting at a specific DB position or he is going to end up being cut. More than likely he will remain the starting free safety.

Look, I love Jenkins. Bottom line: we drafted a tweener who's too slow to play CB in the NFL and who is not a natural Safety and has not transitioned well to the position.

Moving a kid from CB to Safety so quickly after going pro is risky. You're asking a kid to play a completely different position at the pro level. It's one thing if you are talking about Aenas Williams or someone who has played many years at the pro level, but it is something else when you're talking about a kid 1 year removed from college.

Some position changes work that soon out of college. I'm just saying that it is a risk to take a CB in the first round (who you know is probably too slow to play CB in the NFL) and assume he can translate to safety. All draft picks are a risk, I would just personally rather use high draft picks on players who project to the NFL at their natural positions.

Tweeners are risk/reward. Some work, some don't. I hope Jenkins can work out somewhere for us but it might be best to let him go.

I like him, just not as a player, we need REAL safeties like the 5 free agents

2013 NFL Free Agent Defensive Backs
By: Roshan Bhagat

Top Cornerbacks:

Brent Grimes (ATL) - After a couple of All- Pro caliber seasons under his belt, Grimes was unable to reach a long- term extension last offseason. Playing on the franchise tag, Grimes suffered a season- ending injury, which sheds some light on the thought process behind many holdouts. Though the Falcons finished allowing the fewest touchdown passes on the year (14) and 5th best in defensive quarterback rating (77.1), they'll want their top cornerback back if he can return healthy. The added risk will surely diminish the value of his payday whether it's from Atlanta or another team.

Aqib Talib (NE) - Though a career headache off the field, Talib has worked wonders for the Patriots pass defense since his arrival. Though still far from elite, his ability to play the perimeter has allowed the team to move Devin McCourty to safety, shoring up two needs and reducing the number of big plays they've allowed over the top. The Patriots need a player like Talib to contain their weakness, especially since they've struggled drafting corners, but history shows that they still won't ink Talib to a long- term deal just yet. Fortunately for them, almost every other team will take the same approach with Talib, who will most likely be suspended if he has another off- field infraction.

Sean Smith (MIA) - After trading another up- and- coming corner and former first round pick in Vontae Davis, the Dolphins showed confidence and placed a lot of stock in their long corner, Sean Smith. After another strong, but less than elite season, the Dolphins will be in a predicament with what to do with Smith if the current gap in contract talks doesn't shrink. It's hard to imagine that Smith will be paid as an elite corner, but something in the $6- $7 million range seems reasonable. Depending on how the Dolphins prioritize their impending free agents, Smith should be one that could get away as teams will fall in love with his size in the landscape of today's passing game.

Derek Cox (JAC) - While missing 17 starts over the past 3 season, it's going to be tough for the Jaguars to justify giving Derek Cox a huge contract. However, for a team that went 2-14, they may want to overpay, if it means keeping their top corner at the age of 26.

Cary Williams (BAL) - Williams reportedly turned down a 3 year, $15 million deal prior to the season, instead deciding to play on his restricted tender. Only time will tell whether he made a good decision, but after Lardarius Webb went down to injury, Williams assumed position as their top corner and has played well aside from a few plays over the top early on. Far from an elite corner, Williams won't see the 6 for $53 million offer Webb received last offseason, but the Ravens should be willing to commit a fair sum to keep Williams, ensuring strength in coverage.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (PHI) - After trading Asante Samuel and not hitting big on Nnamdi Asomugha, the Eagles will have decisions to make this offseason. Rodgers-Cromartie's a terrific athlete and has great size at the boundary corner position, but he hasn't played to the level of a good starting corner. The Eagles will likely resolve their vacancy at head coach before making any big roster moves, but they may be wise to let DRC test the market before re- signing him long- term. The depth at the corner position may be a concern if they let him go, but in the end, his demands may just not be worth the money.

Safeties:

Ed Reed (BAL) - Ed Reed isn't ready to go the Ray Lewis route and join him in retirement just yet, but that doesn't guarantee he won't reach that decision this offseason after contemplating it. The Ravens will have to join the rest of the league in waiting for him to assess his situation and determine whether he wants to put his body through another NFL season. If he does return, he'll reach a deal with the Ravens. If he doesn't it would be a huge blow for the defense to lose a pair of emotional leaders and future Hall of Famers in the same offseason.

Dashon Goldson (SF) - After several years of playing at a high level, Goldson has established himself as one of the league's top safeties. Goldson, who was reportedly seeking a deal in the range of $8 million a year a year ago, will face the same predicament as last year with a very tame tag number for safeties where 120% of his last year's salary would only equate to $7.5 million. With the production he's provided the Niners with much needed turnovers and big play prevention, he's likely to be kept through an extension or tag. With the volatility at the position, Goldson will be one of the bigger prizes in free agency if the Niners surprisingly decide not to use to the tag on him.

William Moore (ATL) - Through his rookie contract, Moore has become one of the premier safeties in the league. While the Falcons may be battling the cap going into this offseason, they should have enough to re- sign Moore, allowing the secondary to remain strong. With size, speed, and instincts, William Moore is an all- around safety that could establish himself as a perennial Pro Bowler for the duration of his next contract. With the safety position dry of elite players in the league, Moore could see a huge payday on the open market if the Falcons allow him to get that far.

Jairus Byrd (BUF) - After reestablishing himself as a strong ballhawk and improving upon his all- around game, the Bills opened up contract talks with Byrd midway through the season. Though talks don't appear to have gone very far yet, it will be an easy decision to use the franchise tag on him at $6.4 million if that's what it comes to. For all intents and purposes of this free agent list, he's as good a scratch off this list as any.

Louis Delmas (DET) - Delmas missed half the season to injury for the Lions and the secondary suffered from it. Though he's never broken free into the top tier of safeties, his absence has left the Lions reeling and pining for his return to the field where his reliability and hard- hitting ability has helped minimize the bleeding in the secondary. As the Lions look to find areas where they can improve, the secondary will be at the top of their list and within that goal, retaining their own starting safety will be important. After this season, his market value should have dropped enough to where his return to the Lions is a good bet.

i like byrd the best, also maybe a corner like brent grimes would be affordable

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom