Video of PI call on 4th. Horrible call! (1 Viewer)

PurpleBlack&Gold

FOOTBALL PLEASE!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is probably one of the worst calls I have seen. Seriously! How can anyone even remotely consider this catchable? Sure, you can say we shouldn't have been in that situation but that does not excuse the fact that this was not pass interference.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/goD1RfbuS-I" allowfullscreen="" height="315" width="560" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Sorry for the shaky video, I need a new capture card and my phone was much handier.

Edited to add the rule from the NFL. My bolding and italics for emphasis on this play. And I will post the rule in another post to bump the thread.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference
Pass Interference

1. There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line. The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer&#8217;s hand. Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone.
  2. The penalty for defensive pass interference is an automatic first down at the spot of the foul. If interference is in the end zone, it is first down for the offense on the defense&#8217;s 1-yard line. If previous spot was inside the defense&#8217;s 1-yard line, penalty is half the distance to the goal line.
  3. The penalty for offensive pass interference is 10 yards from the previous spot.
  4. It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player&#8217;s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched. Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver&#8217;s opportunity to make the catch. Maybe on this one.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver&#8217;s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver&#8217;s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender&#8217;s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players. THIS, 100X

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver&#8217;s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

Note 3: Pass interference for both teams ends when the pass is touched.

Note 4: There can be no pass interference at or behind the line of scrimmage, but defensive actions such as tackling a receiver can still result in a 5-yard penalty for defensive holding, if accepted.

Note 5: Whenever a team presents an apparent punting formation, defensive pass interference is not to be called for action on the end man on the line of scrimmage, or an eligible receiver behind the line of scrimmage who is aligned or in motion more than one yard outside the end man on the line. Defensive holding, such as tackling a receiver, still can be called and result in a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down from the previous spot, if accepted. Offensive pass interference rules still apply.

Exactly what I thought. How can you call pass interference on someone that is out of bounds on an uncatchable ball.

Robertson's not a DB, but if he's turned looking for the ball the odds would've been in his favor. Look like there was some interaction just before they both were out of bounds and maybe that played into this too. The ref is right there.

Look for what? The ball was not catchable and way over the receivers head. Nothing for either of them to look at as the ball wasn't even close to the receiver until he was falling down out of bounds. Perfect defensive coverage

Robertson's not a DB, but if he's turned looking for the ball the odds would've been in his favor. Look like there was some interaction just before they both were out of bounds and maybe that played into this too. The ref is right there.

I'm going to vehemently disagree with this.

Really Sad.. I hope the NFL do something regarding these calls... Teams should be able to challenge such calls.

I looked at the film very closely. There was contact before the ball got there (about 5 yards before the out of bounds marker), but it was clearly an uncatchable ball. A egregious bad call.

Terrible, terrible call. I argued with friends all Sunday afternoon that said "well if our defense wasn't so bad...we never should've been in that position." And my point was "well, we were. I want them to be better, too. But we weren't the only team that wanted to win, and our terrible defense got the Raiders into a 4th and 5 position to win the game, and if the play was officiated the right way, we're 1-0 with that defense."

Thanks OP for posting this. Pretty clear that the ref in the background (who threw the flag) of the video was too far into the sideline (almost 5 yards) and had a bad angle to see an contact. The ref in the foreground (right on the sideline who did NOT throw a flag) had the best view and should have disputed the call with the other ref.

Thanks OP for posting this. Pretty clear that the ref in the background (who threw the flag) of the video was too far into the sideline (almost 5 yards) and had a bad angle to see an contact. The ref in the foreground (right on the sideline who did NOT throw a flag) had the best view and should have disputed the call with the other ref.
That's part of my issue....refs huddle all the time to discuss calls ...and on 4th and 5 and possible game changing decision, you better make sure everyone saw same thing.

I'm disappointed they did not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The RB jumped out of bounds to make it look like he was pushed. He was not open and Carr knew to throw his way as a hail mary kind of play. Robertson had two hands up at the moment when the RB went out of bounds.

Bad call, and I knew it when it was called, but it doesn't change the fact that the defense failed to make one game changing play the whole game--no picks, no fumbles created or recovered, no sacks, no mojo.

Everyone knew it was a bad call. Even the Raiders fans said they got lucky with that one.

If this were the other way around I would say, "Terrible call, but I'll take it every day". Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom