video police abuse or not. (1 Viewer)

This is about all I can find Link

All of the news reports on it say pretty much the same thing not too much detail.

If the two woman officers seen in the video can't control a handcuffed 125lb lady laying face down on the floor then they don't need to be officers.

All the officers broke the rules and I'm sure they broke the rules knowingly. I'm sure there are two sides to the story but I honestly can't think of one story that would give the male officers the right to strip down a female while she is handcuffed in a cell with other female officers present. If the police station isn't prepared to handle a female charged disorderly conduct then what are they prepared to handle? I am usually defending the officer in many of these cases but there is nothing the police can do to make a case making me believe this was needed.

The next time you are at a party and some drunk girl starts acting a fool then get a couple buddies to help you strip her of her clothes after you handcuff her and pin her to the ground for her own protection and see how right the police officers and legal system thinks of your actions. :aduncan:

Well seeing is believing. It was obvious two female officers couldn't control her well enough to strip her so they got help. If you expect every female officers (or even two) to be Superwoman you're in for a rude awakening.

Well seeing is believing. It was obvious two female officers couldn't control her well enough to strip her so they got help. If you expect every female officers (or even two) to be Superwoman you're in for a rude awakening.

but the question is was she fighting because male officers were violating her?

but the question is was she fighting because male officers were violating her?

Did the female officers call in help because they couldn't manage it themselves? Maybe that was what happened, it makes more sense to me. The video was shot to cover the officers' buns. I'd like to see the whole thing and not just the inflammatory parts.

Did the female officers call in help because they couldn't manage it themselves? Maybe that was what happened, it makes more sense to me. The video was shot to cover the officers' buns. I'd like to see the whole thing and not just the inflammatory parts.

i had seen the attack over the weekend, i just watched the video linked above

seems like the police didnt like her response to their questions and knocked her down and began searching her, she didnt scream until the started removing her clothes - then left her nude on the floor for 6 hours without us of a phone or medical attention and violated police dept policy regarding men strip searching women.

IMO all the male officers should be charged with sexual assault, and all the officers should be fired - the woman was cuffed and could have been watched - the strip search was an assault of a sexual nature, the fact they left her nude on the floor is proof of that - they should all go to jail.

Yeah, it seems that they had a grudge against her. But she didn't help the matter any.

the sooner people realize that police are above the law, the better.....

i had seen the attack over the weekend, i just watched the video linked above

seems like the police didnt like her response to their questions and knocked her down and began searching her, she didnt scream until the started removing her clothes - then left her nude on the floor for 6 hours without us of a phone or medical attention and violated police dept policy regarding men strip searching women.

IMO all the male officers should be charged with sexual assault, and all the officers should be fired - the woman was cuffed and could have been watched - the strip search was an assault of a sexual nature, the fact they left her nude on the floor is proof of that - they should all go to jail.

Ive worked at a jail. Have you? This video looks bad for the officers but there are people here condemning everything the officers did without having any idea what happens in a jail, what is normal procedure for dealing with things, and what is not. Some of the things in this video went way too far, but some are just standard procedure and yet I see people who think EVERYTHING in this video was out of bounds so Im gonna try to clear it up some.

Everybody that comes into a jail gets strip searched whether they want it or not and whether they are in for murder or wreckless driving. Everybody. That way nobody is sneaking drugs, weapons or any other contraband into the jail and believe me we found stuff people stashed at the last second before the police got them SEVERAL times that would have made it into the jail if not for the strip search.

If a person refuses to be stripped they are stripped by the officers. In my state the officers must be of the same sex so to see male on female in this video is disturbing to me but I dont know the rules in their facility so maybe it is allowed. If it is allowed it still doesnt seem right to me to have one sex strip the other, but forced strips by officers of the same sex are necessary to protect both the officers and the other inmates in the jail.

If the person at any time gets out of hand they can be restrained and left in a holding cell to cool down because they have to be booked before they go to general population and its impossible to book someone who wont cooperate. In my jail we use a restraint chair, so leaving them on the floor seems unusual but then again that may just be how they do it there. The restraint chair is also used for anyone who threatens to kill or otherwise harm themselves BTW. There are also rules regarding restraint chair use for certain amounts of time. I cant remember if it was two or four hours straight at my old jail and then you had to let them out, though they could be put back if still uncooperative.

The taser is also an option for an uncooperative inmate but that is more for people that are violently resisting you and trying to fight officers rather than for ones who just refuse to do what you tell them and get the restraint chair. BTW, you cant combined restraint chair with taser aka use the taser on someone who is restrained. I know this has nothing to do with the video but Im just telling you how it is to work in a jail and what the rules are.

As for her not getting her phone call for 6 hours, this happens ALL THE TIME when someone is being uncooperative. The phone call is part of the booking process. In fact it happens at the very end of the booking process, after you have finger printed them, gotten them dressed out in a jump suit (this is where the strip search comes in), properly stored the clothes and property they came in with, and asked the inmate about a billion questions about their drug history, medical history, contact info, etc. The phone call must be given mind you, but it doesnt have to be given while somebody is acting an ***. In fact this is usually how we get most uncooperative inmates to calm down, with no use of force, restraints or tasers at all. We just tell them the longer they refuse to cooperate and be booked the longer it will be before they get their phone call and they usually calm down.

I know, its shocking that we actually try, and succeed almost every time, to settle things in the jail with words before we even consider force and that we are not just a bunch of goons looking to hurt somebody for fun, but thats the way it is. Thats not directed at the poster I quoted, but at anybody making general statements about all correctional officers or police in this thread rather than the ones in the video. Like we are above the law, etc. We have more rules to follow than you can imagine, all while trying to keep our self safe so we can go home when we leave the jail and not the hospital, the public safe by keeping the inmates on our side of the wall and not yours, and the inmates safe from other inmates. There are many rules that if broken can land the officer in an orange jump suit, much less the unemployment line. If we break a rule, not just the jail but we ourselves can be sued by the inmate. The public never hears about the correctional officers who go to work everyday and do their job the right way, just the ones who do something like in this video. Then it makes us all look bad. Its a fine line between doing your job professionally, keeping your jail safe and secure or doing things the wrong way and most officers walk on the right side of this line.

Ive worked at a jail. Have you? This video looks bad for the officers but there are people here condemning everything the officers did without having any idea what happens in a jail, what is normal procedure for dealing with things, and what is not. Some of the things in this video went way too far, but some are just standard procedure and yet I see people who think EVERYTHING in this video was out of bounds so Im gonna try to clear it up some.

Everybody that comes into a jail gets strip searched whether they want it or not and whether they are in for murder or wreckless driving. Everybody. That way nobody is sneaking drugs, weapons or any other contraband into the jail and believe me we found stuff people stashed at the last second before the police got them SEVERAL times that would have made it into the jail if not for the strip search.

If a person refuses to be stripped they are stripped by the officers. In my state the officers must be of the same sex so to see male on female in this video is disturbing to me but I dont know the rules in their facility so maybe it is allowed. If it is allowed it still doesnt seem right to me to have one sex strip the other, but forced strips by officers of the same sex are necessary to protect both the officers and the other inmates in the jail.

If the person at any time gets out of hand they can be restrained and left in a holding cell to cool down because they have to be booked before they go to general population and its impossible to book someone who wont cooperate. In my jail we use a restraint chair, so leaving them on the floor seems unusual but then again that may just be how they do it there. The restraint chair is also used for anyone who threatens to kill or otherwise harm themselves BTW. There are also rules regarding restraint chair use for certain amounts of time. I cant remember if it was two or four hours straight at my old jail and then you had to let them out, though they could be put back if still uncooperative.

The taser is also an option for an uncooperative inmate but that is more for people that are violently resisting you and trying to fight officers rather than for ones who just refuse to do what you tell them and get the restraint chair. BTW, you cant combined restraint chair with taser aka use the taser on someone who is restrained. I know this has nothing to do with the video but Im just telling you how it is to work in a jail and what the rules are.

As for her not getting her phone call for 6 hours, this happens ALL THE TIME when someone is being uncooperative. The phone call is part of the booking process. In fact it happens at the very end of the booking process, after you have finger printed them, gotten them dressed out in a jump suit (this is where the strip search comes in), properly stored the clothes and property they came in with, and asked the inmate about a billion questions about their drug history, medical history, contact info, etc. The phone call must be given mind you, but it doesnt have to be given while somebody is acting an ***. In fact this is usually how we get most uncooperative inmates to calm down, with no use of force, restraints or tasers at all. We just tell them the longer they refuse to cooperate and be booked the longer it will be before they get their phone call and they usually calm down.

I know, its shocking that we actually try, and succeed almost every time, to settle things in the jail with words before we even consider force and that we are not just a bunch of goons looking to hurt somebody for fun, but thats the way it is. Thats not directed at the poster I quoted, but at anybody making general statements about all correctional officers or police in this thread rather than the ones in the video. Like we are above the law, etc. We have more rules to follow than you can imagine, all while trying to keep our self safe so we can go home when we leave the jail and not the hospital, the public safe by keeping the inmates on our side of the wall and not yours, and the inmates safe from other inmates. There are many rules that if broken can land the officer in an orange jump suit, much less the unemployment line. If we break a rule, not just the jail but we ourselves can be sued by the inmate. The public never hears about the correctional officers who go to work everyday and do their job the right way, just the ones who do something like in this video. Then it makes us all look bad. Its a fine line between doing your job professionally, keeping your jail safe and secure or doing things the wrong way and most officers walk on the right side of this line.

Well said.

never worked at a jail, been arrested for public intox, drinking in public (a couple of times) DUI once, this happened in Louisiana and several cities around the DFW area - was never strip searched, never denied a phone call - in fact other than being pated down i wasnt searched at all. never even had my shoe laces and belt taken from me. - i know several people who have been arrested both here and in Texas - never heard one say they were strip searched

males involved in a strip search is against their policy per the report, if the didnt have the personal to do so they should have left her clothed in the cell handcuffed till they could make arrangements to do so - but i guess some dont feel polices are there to be followed, .

no reason to leave her in her cell nude - cannot be justified

at when you look at the case, she wasnt found roaming the streets, she called the police for help, they arrived and cuffed her, so i guess in their mind she was given a weapon while cuffed and she hid it in a body cavity, while cuffed in the car?

by your own accounts your jail wouldnt handle it this way - why is that the case - because males police strip searching women in not proper, and can end up in cases like this where both the male and female offers should be charged with sexual assault - the jailers had options, maybe they are just pervs, dont why they took this course of actions, leave the woman handcuffed in the cell if she is that unruly with someone watching her, if i recall the reporter stated she didnt get out of hand till the jailers began taking her close off - she could have easily thought she was being raped as police arent above such behavior - that has been proven.

as far as i know we arent talking about a career criminal, she is the wife of a school teacher - how anyone could justify these actions is beyond me

never worked at a jail, been arrested for public intox, drinking in public (a couple of times) DUI once, this happened in Louisiana and several cities around the DFW area - was never strip searched, never denied a phone call - in fact other than being pated down i wasnt searched at all. never even had my shoe laces and belt taken from me. - i know several people who have been arrested both here and in Texas - never heard one say they were strip searched

males involved in a strip search is against their policy per the report, if the didnt have the personal to do so they should have left her clothed in the cell handcuffed till they could make arrangements to do so - but i guess some dont feel polices are there to be followed, .

no reason to leave her in her cell nude - cannot be justified

at when you look at the case, she wasnt found roaming the streets, she called the police for help, they arrived and cuffed her, so i guess in their mind she was given a weapon while cuffed and she hid it in a body cavity, while cuffed in the car?

by your own accounts your jail wouldnt handle it this way - why is that the case - because males police strip searching women in not proper, and can end up in cases like this where both the male and female offers should be charged with sexual assault - the jailers had options, maybe they are just pervs, dont why they took this course of actions, leave the woman handcuffed in the cell if she is that unruly with someone watching her, if i recall the reporter stated she didnt get out of hand till the jailers began taking her close off - she could have easily thought she was being raped as police arent above such behavior - that has been proven.

as far as i know we arent talking about a career criminal, she is the wife of a school teacher - how anyone could justify these actions is beyond me

I work in Mississippi. I dont know if the rules are different from state to state or just facility to facility though as far as being stripped goes. I also agree they did a lot of things that dont sit right with me, so I wasnt trying to justify the things they did wrong. Just saying that being stripped (by the same sex though), being restrained, and not getting a phone call while you are being uncooperative are common jail procedures.

I work in Mississippi. I dont know if the rules are different from state to state or just facility to facility though as far as being stripped goes. I also agree they did a lot of things that dont sit right with me, so I wasnt trying to justify the things they did wrong. Just saying that being stripped (by the same sex though), being restrained, and not getting a phone call while you are being uncooperative are common jail procedures.

strip searching maybe a new standard, its been a long time since i would have been exposed to that - and i dont worry too much about the phone call - her people knew where she was.

men strip searching women - no call for it, they should loose their jobs at a min.

leaving her nude in the cell - no call for it, they should loose their jobs at a min.both men and women officers

the fact hey left her in the cell nude for hours tells me they were not considering proper policy, they were on a power trip and are unfit to wear a badge, even if it is one of a jailer

- in fact arent the some military folks going to jail for similar offenses and they were men on men

I forgot to add that being restrained while nude is not something that should be done. As soon as the strip search is over we put them in an orange jump suit and slippers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom