VIDEO: Zach Strief brutally honest about Saints O-line (short interview) (1 Viewer)

lol yea because every team in the league doesn't go through rebuilding stages. Just leave the forum

No, he is fine right here. This is not, and will not be a place where everyone speaks with the same tongue. Who wants that? This is nothing to cheer, that the third year into our rebuild, the O-Line is worse than ever, each with a laundry list of improvement, according to Zach.

Honestly, I knew they were struggling, and many came into the league at a deficit, coming from spread offenses, but my goodness, they have played under Payton long enough to where we should see some improvements.

This is a league where both sides, players union and owners have developed parity. Teams that go down into the pit, have means and things that allow them to bounce right back. Even in our division, you would go from worst to first, bc of the draft and moving coaches, players. When you stop doing that, you will become stale. I'm seeing a motivation problem. Hopefully things aren't as bad as he making it out to be, each having a laudry list of improvements. If so...

If that was a motivation issue he would say everything is okay and they are good as they are. Instead he is not happy by the way they are playing and will work to get better because they must get better. I really liked the interview.

Question remains, what the hell have they been doing, coming off two seasons of underperforming...as a unit? What did they do in the off-season and up at The Greenbrier? Who holds them accountable, who's measuring their performance and output to ensure that we go to battle with the best trained?

If this was a military unit, wow, the command would be stripped of power, immediately. I'm amazed that he is on camera saying every one on the line have a laundry list of things that needs improving...that is a straight leadership issue. Nothing less.

A couple of things that stand out from the game against the steelers:

Armstead started having some kind of issue at the beginning of the game that became a trickle down effect. Lileto is picking right up where he left off last year as being one of the worst o-lineman in the league. The right side wasn't nearly as bad as people want to make it out to be.

If Hills doesn't come in and Armstead plays up to par we wouldn't have been talking about the o-line today. I really think that we are a starting caliber guard away from that line being serviceable.

Another thing is we threw the rookie CB's into the lions den and made them cover the best (in my opinion) WR in the game. They definitely got their bumps and bruises.

We also managed to create a turnover and score a TD and not turn the ball over with our starting unit. These are all huge positives.

I understand you guys being upset after not seeing this team ball out in the dome, but it's not the end of the world.

Look at the cardinals, they were out there looking like a junior varsity team this week and you don't hear people talking about them being 6-10 or trading their best player.

We definitely have issues with the o-line. I think the defense will be fine when we are allowed to blitz and gameplan more and put Breaux on the teams top WR.

I'd like to see armstead, kelemete, unger, turner, peat combo .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

To me the bigger question is:

What are they being asked to do that is different this year than last year?

How different is this offense than last years?

Is it designed to use our talent effectively?

This will ne a bad season and the endbof Brees in NO. 5 games win stretching for 6 wins. But still love my Saints. Look like its getting worse. No pass rush. No quality Oline, and secondary still giving up big plays in the air.

Product on field Saints have brought in since 09 just not cutting it. 7years later my Saints have decreased instead of increasing their assets. They really need Scouts and time for Loomis to go.

The O-Line, execution, needing improvements since 2013...there is no excuse for us to still have that conversation in the 2016-2017 season.

That's why they got rid of the guards who weren't performing as well, and traded for a top rated center. Its also why they spent a high draft pick on Peat, and extended Armstead. Also a big reason why they fired the offensive line coach, moved Rousher into the position, and consulted with Alex Gibbs for scheme and technique tips.

Unfortunately, all that we as fans can do at this point is wait and see if it comes together.

I will say that I'm on record that Landon Turner, or Avery Young, or both would be starting on this line at some point of the season. Young is my wildcard, as he would be a massive upgrade at guard over both non-Peat options, and could allow Unger to cheat towards the right side as needed to help solidify the scheme. Turner could too, but I think he may need a bit more work on technique.

Just my uneducated opinions though.

That's why they got rid of the guards who weren't performing as well, and traded for a top rated center. Its also why they spent a high draft pick on Peat, and extended Armstead. Also a big reason why the fired the offensive line coach, moved Rousher into the position, and consulted with Alex Gibbs for scheme and technique tips.

Unfortunately, all that we as fans can do at this point is wait and see if it comes together.

I will say that I'm on record that Landon Turner, or Avery Young, or both would be starting on this line at some point of the season. Young is my wildcard, as he would be a massive upgrade at guard over both non-Peat options, and could allow Unger to cheat towards the right side as needed to help solidify the scheme. Turner could too, but I think he may need a bit more work on technique.

Just my uneducated opinions though.

Agreed. However, I think Peat will be fine at RG and I think you mean Avery Young who is a mystery much like Garrett Griffin but I could somehow see them both making the team.

I just wished he would've pulled a Tebow and promised us that they will get better because NO ONE WILL WORK AS HARD AS HE WILL TO GET THIS TEAM TO WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE. That would've been awesome..

It's not the end of the world...nor is trading Brees or finding a coach that has a better defensive acumen. It's all fair game, and I don't think you need to worry about the DBs. Seriously, those guys were step for step with about the fastest receiving corps in the league last week. I was actually impressed that they were covering. In both cases, with Brown and Wheaton, the DBs were there...in their faces. That's more than half of the battle alone. Now, we need to work on locating the ball, reading the WR, body placement etc. But DA is a DB guy, will get that fixed. Especially the mix-up on Brown...have to watch it again, but I thought Breaux had out and deep there.

The O-Line, execution, needing improvements since 2013...there is no excuse for us to still have that conversation in the 2016-2017 season.

The end of the world comment was a general statement and not really directed at you. I think they have tried to address the o-line the best they could under the circumstances. They had to completely rebuild the defense and get some skill players in here on offense.

There really wasn't a lot of options this offseason for lineman and the draft had terrible value. We wanted and were targeting garnet in the draft and he got taken about a round too early by Chip "I have no idea what I"m doing" Kelly.

We definitely need a starting guard and I'm open to trading someone to get a starting left guard, I just don't know who would be trad-able that we would be ok with parting with.

but let's all at least let this season start playing out before we start the whole "get rid of the GM, Coach, QB, etc." talk.

Strief is a good man. I have nothing against him, I still respect him. It's just a case of father time.

He did not say the talent level wasn't there. He emphasized the need for execution. He talked about that last week too. He mentioned having to get on the same page.

I think the coaching staff should settle on who the best five are and then let them play another half Thursday without substitution. Give the line time to gel. You can see the potential is there on some plays, but on others there is a breakdown in assignment or technique.

The coaching staff is more to blame in my mind for not deciding on a 1st string unit earlier in camp and going with it. You would think in those first two weeks the talent could be graded and ordered 1st string to 2nd string fairly simply. I don't know why they have had to go 3 weeks into the preseason schedule to figure it out.

Again, when a unit fails to executive, over and again, it's always a leadership issue...you have to replace that commander. Now, we see in Business, leadership is just as important, and no matter what plans you devise...you need the right leadership Let Wharton explain:

Three Reasons Why Good Strategies Fail: Execution, Execution…

Yet despite the obvious importance of good planning and execution, relatively few management thinkers have focused on what kinds of processes and leadership are best for turning a strategy into results...

While execution can go wrong for a variety of reasons, one of the most basic may be allowing the focus of the strategy to shift over time. The attempt by Hewlett-Packard, after it acquired Compaq, to compete with Dell in PCs through scale is a classic example of goal-shifting — competing on price one week, service the next, while trying to sell through often conflicting, high-cost channels. The result: CEO Carly Fiorina lost her job and HP still must resolve some key strategic issues...

Hrebiniak says that companies often go wrong by creating a cultural distinction between the executives who design a strategy and people lower down in the corporate hierarchy who carry it out. Asking ongoing questions about the status of a plan is a good way to ensure that it will continue to be a priority.

Meetings between the executive team and unit managers should be regular and ongoing, advises Perigo. It’s that kind of “direct, demonstrated leadership,” he says, that convinces an organization that commitment to a plan is real and that there will be consequences if the plan is not followed through. “It’s a signal of commitment from the top that there’s an expectation of commitment from below.”...

Three Reasons Why Good Strategies Fail: Execution, Execution... - Knowledge@Wharton

We are going to go through this season, with the highest hopes we can have, but we have clear and detectable leadership flaws, with nobody being held accountable. This should have been the season that SP was coaching for his ability to return. When you pull up coaches on the hot seat, he should be the #1 mention. It's puzzling what we are doing in this front office. It's not running with full accountability from the top of our Organization. Our leader does not face consequences...only the players, unless a raise and more years is a consequence.

I just wished he would've pulled a Tebow and promised us that they will get better because NO ONE WILL WORK AS HARD AS HE WILL TO GET THIS TEAM TO WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE. That would've been awesome..

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not......however......

That was following a mid-season l1 point loss to Mississippi.

Tim makes the infamous speech.

Cut to 2 months later, Tim leads UF over Oklahoma in the national championship.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom