N/S Vikings Caught in the QB Trap (1 Viewer)

As for possibly losing Kyle Rudolph, they've probably been looking to replace him asap anyways. He's kind of over the hill now.
What? He's 29 years old. If that's over the hill, Ben Watson is dead. And according to the article, they've been doing everything but trying to get rid of Kyle Rudolph ASAP.

Not sure I'd call it the worst in history...but okay.

They had money to play with amd chose to upgrade their QB instead of their OL, bc good QBs are harder to find. It was at least an understandable aquisition. Their offense was pretty potent last season as well. It was their defense that took a big step back, with largely the same players. Had their best DE not missed pretty much the whole season due to serious mental issues, they probably would have finished the season looking a lot better. Keep in mind, they had to play against a lot of Super Bowl contenders last year, as the NFC race remained largely the same in 2018-2019 as the 2017-2018 season. Somebody was going to lose out between the Vikings, Eagles, Saints, and Rams.

I don't think Cousin's contract is too back loaded. So, while it looks terrible right now in large part to their disappointing season, it probably won't look so bad in the final couple years - like every new QB contract. As for possibly losing Kyle Rudolph, they've probably been looking to replace him asap anyways. He's kind of over the hill now.
i thought i read hes 29?

What? He's 29 years old. If that's over the hill, Ben Watson is dead. And according to the article, they've been doing everything but trying to get rid of Kyle Rudolph ASAP.
You guys are right. I should have been more concise on my word choice. I didn't mean to say he's way over the hill and falling off a cliff, but rather just kind of beginning to get to that point. At 29, but turning 30 in early November, he's likely at the very least nearing the endof his prime and will begin to steadily decline in the coming years, particularly as a weapon in the pass game. In the immediate short term, I don't doubt that they are trying very hard to keep him, especially since they perceive themselves to be in a Super Bowl contending window. Even going forward a couple years, he'll still be a decent player to have in the lineup as a blocker, so I'm not suggesting that they are trying to jettison him from the team. I'm suggesting that with him turning 30 this season and in the last year of his contract, they've likely been planning on the strong chance of him not being in a Viking uniform next season anyways, beginning to decline, and finding a new talent to fill that starting role ASAP. As for Ben Watson, yes, I believe he is an outlier, even by TE standards (which I am sure most here will point out as having linger careers) - but even his prime was likely extended beyond normal means because of Brees. He's not exactly the poster boy I would choose to compare the average NFL TE to.

Minnesota's issue is with the O-Line protecting Cousins.

And the fact that he's not an $84-million guaranteed level player either.

In today's QB market, he's worth it. 10th highest rated passer last season. Completed over 70% of his passes.

Minnesota's issue is with the O-Line protecting Cousins.

Exactly, for all the viterol directed at Cousins, you would think he had a terrible year...he didn't play great but he also wasn't the problem with the offense....and to say it is the worst QB signing in history, after 1 year of a 3 year deal? OP mayby getting a little ahead of yourself aren't you? Would check back after another year or so....

Yeah, I get nervous about laughing at other teams' QB issues. We've been so fortunate but a few years will go by very quickly. How we navigate this transition both as a matter of QB talent and of QB contract-management will be a huge factor in whether we're going to continue to be successful in the coming years. It's just around the corner.
That's why it's so important that we win it all this year. With all the contracts due soon, the front office is going to have to make some tough decisions. I like the Patriot's approach: draft well and re-load.
The good thing is that I don't think that Bridgewater will break the bank if we sign him as our future QB. I don't think they'll pay him crazy money like Kirk Cousins or Matt Ryan.
If they don't decide to go with Bridgewater, then drafting a rookie is the way to go. At least then we would have an affordable Qb for at least 5 years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom