Vikings Should Study the Saints/Falcons Game On How To Help OL With Scheme (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
For the past 5ish seasons or so the Saints have had major question marks at some position on offense. Despite these question marks we have been the NFL's #1 offense since 2013 and are off to another great offensive season this year. Like him or not as a head coach, Sean Payton's offensive resume speaks for itself. He is a very gifted offensive mind and most coaches and football minds will say the same. One of his best week to week adjustments is pass protection scheme.

In 2016 the OL was the perceived weak link. Starting weak 1 in a matchup with a "young, fierce" raiders pass rush our line dominated in pass protection helping to alleviate that concern. Multiple injuries later to Peat and Armstead two of our best lineman and our #1 and #2 tackles Brees still enjoys ample time in the pocket. This came to a head in the ATL with Armstead out and Peat spraining his MCL mid game. Down to our 3rd tackle the Saints continued to give Brees time in the pocket. One could argue that the Falcons pass rush is a cheap barometer, but that argument was a preseason projection and they have actually been quite successful this season. When you can protect no matter who is on the field you now scheme is a huge factor.

In the Atlanta game especially but occasionally throughout the year with tougher matchups the Saints have give significant help on the outside. In these situations WRs, TEs, and RBs have lined up tight to the line. On the snap they give a running chip to the edge rushers before getting out into their routes. NFL receivers can get quite the jump on the snap and that little quick hit is usually enough to negate the defenders initial leverage long enough for the OT to get his hands on him and finish the block. This has been hugely successful for the Saints in helping on speed rushers off the edge in particular. This does disrupt some timing for the routes but giving a QB time in the pocket is far more important as it at least cuts down on the sacks, fumbles, and interceptions characteristic of heavy QB pressure. Brees contributes to low sack totals but for this post I'm just talking about pressure so before Brees works his pocket magic.

Fast-forward to Monday Night Football tonight. Clemmings known for his strength can't ever get his hands on McPhee and Long gets beat around the edge by Floyd consistently. Giving a chip on McPhee so Clemmings could get his hands on him and bully him with his strength or knocking the undersized floyd around at the LOS would have done wonders to help those OTs. Were there other variations of pressure? Yeah, but I'd dare say most came against the OTs of the Vikings. Scheme wouldn't have completely saved the day but I kept staring at the TV wondering why there was zero scheme help for the OL. Everyone knows the tackle situation was dreadful and yet there were close to no chips on the edge rushers and Chicago consistently got to Bradford with a 4 man rush before the plays could develop.

This is a Viking's line that people on this board were hoping we could snag a piece from due to their depth of talent. Yes they have injuries, but the Saints have made it work with Bell/Lelito/Unger/Evans/Strief. If the Vikings are gonna win the SB and make good on the Bradford trade they are gonna need to scheme some help for the OL, and the could do worse than to start by studying SP and the Saints.

The Bears were getting a good amount of interior push tonight too. The Vikings were just getting whooped up and down their line. Can't really scheme for that besides max protection. Not to mention everyone on our line has a reputation for being really good in pass protection. It's just a strength of ours and something Payton values. Definitely should have been consistently chipping on the edges though.

The Bears were getting a good amount of interior push tonight too. The Vikings were just getting whooped up and down their line. Can't really scheme for that besides max protection. Not to mention everyone on our line has a reputation for being really good in pass protection. It's just a strength of ours and something Payton values. Definitely should have been consistently chipping on the edges though.

Yeah you are absolutely right. I think that's one reason Payton values pass blocking guards. The push up the middle is hard to give help on and it really hinders the QBs ability to throw accurately. Diggs was wide open downfield i the first half but you could see the Bradford had no room to step into the throw and it sailed on him. Its not a fix-all but it certainly would have helped disrupt the pass rush a little.

A lot of that is the quarterback calling the protections.

Bradford ≠ Brees

Not even close.

At the beginning of the season when we were all in a panic about our OL, weren't the Vikings brought up as being a team loaded with good OL and a possible trade partner? I kept wondering what the heck happened to their line during the game. Maybe my memory isn't so good, but I could have sworn it was the Vikings that supposedly had more good OL men than they could keep. Another reason I'm pretty sure it was the Vikings, as I thought they'd be the last team to trade anyone to help us out. No love lost between the Saints and Vikings, since they still claim we took their Lombardi.

Maybe their line was overrated? Like, really overrated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom