Vilma Compensation Update {merged x 2} (1 Viewer)

xLr8n

Banned
Reaction score
Vilma comp update

Just got off the phone with Mike Tannenbaum on a conference call. He said that the Jets aren't getting a conditional pick in 2009 from the Saints for Vilma. He said the deal is for a solid pick THIS YEAR in 2008 and, based on Vilma's production, possibly another pick in 2009. And it sounds like that second one could be a third-rounder.

Well, that changes things a bit.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/2008/02/vilma_comp_update.html

For some reason I don't have the option of putting the article in a quote. The link is at the bottom. That wasn't me saying that stuff.

It still seems like a good trade, although, now Loomis is not guilty of robbery.

I dunno.....he just got off the phone with the guy and still doesn't know what picks the Jets got.

Actually, this might be good news... It means that the Jets knew that Vilma still has a good deal of worth.

A healthy, 100% J. Vilma is worth a 4th and a 2nd next year w/out even a tiny bit of a doubt!

Vilma = BEAST!!!!!!

If we give them a pick next year then we get their 4th next year, so it is really only one pick

If we give them a pick next year then we get their 4th next year, so it is really only one pick

Yep. If this guy is correct. I've never heard of him (of course, that doesn't mean much :hihi: ) and he is reporting something contrary to every other source that I've seen. Maybe he has it right and everyone else has it wrong. I dunno.

But it is a blog, not a normal news source.

Here is part of his second article that backs up what Kegger says:

Now, if Vilma reaches certain playing time levels AND he winds up signing an extension with the Saints (remember, Vilma didn't renegotiate so he's a free agent after the 08 season), then the Jets will get either a second or a third rounder in 2009 but they would have to sort of pay back the original value of the deal by giving the Saints a fourth-round pick.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/2008/02/vilmas_true_worth.html

We'll know soon enough if T-Rock is right or wrong.

That seems pretty complex. Not sure I have ever seen a deal like this before.

my blog says we got him for loomis's cat and some of the stuff that Ball left in his garage.

That seems pretty complex. Not sure I have ever seen a deal like this before.

Actually seems somewhat fair. If Vilma fails, we lose a 4th. If he suceeds, all we lose is a third. If he really succeeds, all we lose is a second. Basically, were going to pay the Jets based on whether Vilma performs as a 4th, 3rd, or 2nd round pick level.

Pretty smart trade, I wonder if it was Loomis or the jets GM that thought of this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom