Vilma to wear #51 (1 Viewer)

wamland

Sacrilicious
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Vilma is slated to wear the No. 51 jersey, which once belonged to Saints linebacking legend Sam Mills.
“I’m a huge Sam Mills fan,” Vilma said. “I never got to see him play, but I’ve seen film of him. He was an excellent player.”

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080318/SPORTS/80317025/1006

Sam_Mills.jpg

It'll be good to see that #51 flying around our defense again.As good as Vilma is though he's got some big shoes to fill,Mills was my favorite player in the Dome Patrol

the only LB number to me thats sacred is 57...

Vilma strikes me as a player that respects the players of the past and will try to do everything possible both on and off the field to honor the memory of #51

I'm glad that Vilma is showing some respect for Sam, but it's about time # 57, 51, and 8 were retired.

I'm glad that Vilma is showing some respect for Sam, but it's about time # 57, 51, and 8 were retired.

I've never been a big advocate of retiring numbers....I understand that people associate numbers with the individual...but it's truly the person that is the issue...the person will always be remembered...regardless of who else wears that number...JMO

It's so weird that this team doesn't retire numbers. I know we don't have the history of greatness like some other teams but to me it makes sense to honor some great players. As far as I'm concerned, they should retire 7, 8, 51, 56 & 57. I'm sure there's some others I'm missing from long ago, but I'd love to see the Saints celebrate some of the great players we've had.

That reminds me... I remember a few people thinking my dad looked like Sam Mills back in the day lol

I've never been a big advocate of retiring numbers....I understand that people associate numbers with the individual...but it's truly the person that is the issue...the person will always be remembered...regardless of who else wears that number...JMO

:plus-un2:

Hopefully, Vilma will only add to the greatness associated with the number. It's been a while since we've had a really dominant LB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom