Vilma told to seek trade!!! (1 Viewer)

The Jaguars and Saints are believed to be among the potential suitors. The Saints have made no secret of their desire to acquire a middle linebacker, as they've already made an offer to former Dolphin Zach Thomas. Former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson was recently hired by the Jaguars as an assistant, which explains their interest.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...2-22_jonathan_vilma_can_fly_away.html?ref=rss

I wonder if we will go after him or stick with Zach.

I liked Vilma coming out of college and think he is a good player, but micro-fracture surgery on his knee? The type of injury and the concern for re-injury makes me hesitant of going after him by offering too much.

Offer the Jets a sack of boiled crawfish, a case of Dixie, and maybe a 6th rounder and see if they go for it, LOL.

Last edited:
A sixth rounder would be my best offer considering the knee injury he suffered.

I would say a 6th is fair especially if w do not know if he will be ready this season.

I'd give as high as a 4th for him. The return on a 4th rounder is usually minimal anyway. Its a risk, but with a huge potential payoff. The knee scares me to death. I don't want another Cie Grant incident.

I just did some research on his injury and micro-fracture surgery. Basically, it was never revealed EXACTLY what type of knee injury Vilma has due to Jets team policy. Micro fracture surgery is used to treat degernative knee conditions as well as cartlidge damage. What we do know is the game he got hurt in, he finished the game, and was placed on IR 4 days later. This is the same surgery many athletes have and have great careers after, it's the same surgery Greg Odon is having, and you don't hear concerns about his career. So I assume it's not a horrible injury and he'll recover meaning his value is through the roof, this guy was a top MLB in the league...he's worth at least our 3rd rounder. However if our doctors determine he may not recover then I would agree on a 5th - 6th. You are gambling on 5th-6th round players anyway.

Give them a conditional 5th that could turn into a 4th based on playing time and a 3rd based on performance..

What about poor ZT? You've made an offer for him already and are we sure the Saints have considered this option?

Interesting to say the least.

Give them a conditional 5th that could turn into a 4th based on playing time and a 3rd based on performance..

I would make the conditions of his deal with a Pro Bowl season a 2nd rounder. I mean any Pro Bowler is worth a 2nd.

Well I think we would wait until ZT makes up his mind but couldn't we put Vilma at WLB??
That way we have a MLB for the future and a someone to replace Shanle this season.

By not taking any considerations about injuries about both Thomas and Vilma, the saints can use both.

Many experts thought Vilma was better suited to play the weakside on the pros (not me). If healthy, the saints can use Thomas at the MIKE and Vilma at the WILL.

Moreso, considering latest injuries the saints need a "plan B" since they can only hope, but not count that both players will last 16 games.

We are so weak at the position that we need to look for depth, not only starters but for backups too.

I'm sure not matter what happens during FA, this organization will draft an LB or two.

When was his knee surgery:dunno:

Some of the stuff I have looked up said it takes around eight months to fully heal, but that the patients feel good enough to do things before that time...... However by doing so will risk the success of the operation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom