Vilma's future (1 Viewer)

SaintBrad

Very Banned
Reaction score
We know he struggles in 3-4 and has spoken to not being comfortable with the formation. Between that, and our cap situation, its clear the writing is on the wall.

Do we release him or attempt to trade him? Does he have any value?

I have a feeling his problems with the 3-4 were just as much off the field as on the field.

He still posted 100+ tackle seasons in the 3-4.

To be honest though, I say just release him. If he wants to come back at near the minimum (no one is going to give him more), then take him back as a rotational player.

We know he struggles in 3-4 and has spoken to not being comfortable with the formation. Between that, and our cap situation, its clear the writing is on the wall.

Do we release him or attempt to trade him? Does he have any value?

He's done in a Saints uniform....

I hope he can stay if he fits in the new scheme. I know we all like him, but not sure how this change will affect him. Regardless, I wish him all the best.

did Vilma not play in some 3-4 formations when Greg Williams was the D Coach ?

I think he is done as a Saint. He has no trade value IMO.

I see if we can get him back at a discount by all means lets get him back. People on here talk like we have it made with this new switch (which I am excited for), but have short memories on how much our LB's were hurt last year. Since we are going to be fielding 4 backers on the field we are going to need depth at the backer spot now more than ever.

He has 0 trade value and I think he is done in New Orleans.

I also think he's done as a Saint but I think saying he has no trade value whatsoever is an overstatement. Look at a team like the Bears who will in all likelihood lose Urlacher. Vilma could step in there for a couple of years as a decent MLB with a ton of football smarts and leadership skills. It wouldn't be that much of a step down from the often injured Urlacher and would give them some time to find and develop his eventual replacement because right now, they have no one to fill those shoes. That's just one team thy would give him a solid look and I am sure there are more.

I have a feeling his problems with the 3-4 were just as much off the field as on the field.

He still posted 100+ tackle seasons in the 3-4.

To be honest though, I say just release him. If he wants to come back at near the minimum (no one is going to give him more), then take him back as a rotational player.

In that scenario there is no reason to release him. Just redo his contract. GTD money is going to be guaranteed no matter what, everything else can change.

I think Vilma is back. For some reason everyone seems to think he is old and washed up. He's 30 and it took a year and 1/2 to get his knee right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom