Vilma's Journal (1 Viewer)

joeyseven

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
HK, Natchitoches LA, Bloomington IL, HK, Nashville
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9/17/2009 [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good Start! [/FONT][/FONT]
This season has started off on a good note. We took care of business against the Lions. We won the game but it was a little sloppy. Defensively, we came together enough to get the win. I have great developed a mutually respectful relationship with coach Gregg Williams. I definitely feel like I understand what he expects and know how to implement his strategies. We have a very good team on both sides of the ball. I definitely believe we have a great chance to contend for a championship. In practice, both first and second teams have performed very well. We are getting contributions from everyone which is what it takes to be successful as a team...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9/22/2009 2-0: Great Victory over the Eagles, but Room for Improvement [/FONT]
Our victory over the Philadelphia Eagles this Sunday was an exciting win for us because we were able to come out and beat a legitimate opponent with a great group of young play-makers. Even without Donovan McNabb, the Eagles still have a very talented group of offensive players, like Brian Westbrook and Jeremy Maclin. It was great for us to go into a hostile environment and come out with a strong performance. Even though we are only 2-0, I believe we are playing very well as a defensive unit. We did a good job keeping their explosive players under control and limiting them on offense. We were very excited heading into the matchup because it was a great opportunity early in the season to show the league what our defense is made of. Westbrook is always a threat to explode for a big play. Maclin, even though he is a rookie, has a ton of talent and big-play capability. I am really happy with our overall defensive performance against a talented offense....

More from his website.
http://jonvilma.com/frame-journal.asp

[FONT=Geneva, arial, Helvetica]Here is what Vilma's website says about the Buffalo game.[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, arial, Helvetica]9/28/2009 3-0: 3-0 and Counting...[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, arial, Helvetica]It feels real good to be 3-0 to start the season. We had a very strong defensive outing against a powerful Bills’ offense. We managed to hold the Bills to a single touchdown on a fake special teams play. The best part about this victory was that it was a close game, which made it more fun and interesting for the players and the fans. This was our first close game of the year, so it feels great to come out with a victory on the road. We came out in the fourth quarter and put up 17 points to solidify our win, but before that, it was a close battle. It feels good to challenge ourselves and challenge our opponent because that will help us grow as a team as we get closer to the playoffs. I am very pleased with our defensive effort and happy to see 3 wins in the books. We are excited that we are winning the games that we know we should win, but there is always room for improvement. We need to keep grinding it out on defense and learn how we function as a unit to limit our opponents’ offensive opportunities.[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, arial, Helvetica]We knew that Terrell Owens and Lee Evans were very fast route runners and could get down the field in a hurry. We wanted to make sure that we had safeties over the top to avoid the opportunities for big passing plays. When T.O. gets started early, it can be a long day for opposing defenses because his confidence and talent create mismatches on defense. We are excited that we held him to zero catches for the game and minimized the possibilities of the Buffalo passing game. Our defensive strategy going into the game was to cover the Buffalo receivers tightly, but maintain them within our defensive scheme to avoid any big plays. We are very happy with the outcome and looking forward to a strong team next weekend in the New York Jets.[/FONT]

It is very reassuring that our offense has so many weapons to put points on the board. Drew Brees did not have a huge game statistically, so it is good to see Pierre Thomas and our many offensive weapons carry the load. Mike Bell and Reggie Bush have also done a great job of blocking and running the ball to balance our offense. Drew Brees had a freak start to the season throwing 9 TDs in the first two games, so we obviously cannot expect that offensive output every game. It is important to have a balanced offensive attack, like we have seen over the course of our first 3 games.

We are looking forward to our battle next weekend against my former team, the New York Jets. We know that they are starting the season strong at 3-0 as well, so we need to watch film and see how they are playing. We will be prepared to stop Mark Sanchez and the Jets’ offense and try to come out with another victory.

Last edited:
I love Vilma. You can tell he has passion for the game. I hope he goes off on his former team.

Thanks for that update DallasRene. My favorite quote:
"We are looking forward to our battle next weekend against my former team, the New York Jets. We know that they are starting the season strong at 3-0 as well, so we need to watch film and see how they are playing. We will be prepared to stop Mark Sanchez and the Jets’ offense and try to come out with another victory."

What will it be like for Vilma to play against his former team? :scratch:

So glad he's a Saint! GEAUX VILMA and the D with an Attitude! GEAUX SAINTS! :9:

Vilma is the man! He's not getting as much action this year because the rest of the D is doing so much better, but he's still awesome! I need to find a new picture from one of this year's games for my avatar.

Vilma is the man! He's not getting as much action this year because the rest of the D is doing so much better, but he's still awesome! I need to find a new picture from one of this year's games for my avatar.

If you could get one of that hit in the first quarter against the Bills, that would be a good one.

know any good sources for recent game photos? I'd love to sift through a big pile and find a good one. I found this one on google.

I was very worried about this as well. Glad to see that we can take away the opponents strengths and enforce our will:

We knew that Terrell Owens and Lee Evans were very fast route runners and could get down the field in a hurry. We wanted to make sure that we had safeties over the top to avoid the opportunities for big passing plays. When T.O. gets started early, it can be a long day for opposing defenses because his confidence and talent create mismatches on defense. We are excited that we held him to zero catches for the game and minimized the possibilities of the Buffalo passing game. Our defensive strategy going into the game was to cover the Buffalo receivers tightly, but maintain them within our defensive scheme to avoid any big plays.

Vilma is our heart of the Defense, hope he stays healthy and is w/ us for a long time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom