vinny curry interest? (1 Viewer)

You are spot on. Like if Saints would of had better pressure on Cousins in the wild card game last year, Rudolph wouldn't have scored and won the game :barman:

If that's your main argument for not being interested in adding more disruptors on the line, well, I'm probably not going to convince you otherwise. In that specific example, the ball was lobbed up rather quickly and the defender was interfered with and had no chance to make a play. Point is, the only problem with that play was that we were cheated yet again. It was also a heavy blitz. Not going to get that kind of pressure all the time, which I'm sure you are aware. But back to pass rush in general, you can never have enough disruption in the back field.

Last edited:
Going over the roster there isn't much room; however, DE is an area that sure could use a depth upgrade. T-Rex (short arms and little burst) is not the answer. Granderson might be the guy if he puts on some more size/strength. Noah Spence is too small. We need one more true DE (6-3 or so and 280+) with some juice in the pass rush to backup Davenport. I think we can only afford four DEs on the roster with four DTs and one hybrid (Mario Edwards). Good problem to have (talented roster).

Going over the roster there isn't much room; however, DE is an area that sure could use a depth upgrade. T-Rex (short arms and little burst) is not the answer. Granderson might be the guy if he puts on some more size/strength. Noah Spence is too small. We need one more true DE (6-3 or so and 280+) with some juice in the pass rush to backup Davenport. I think we can only afford four DEs on the roster with four DTs and one hybrid (Mario Edwards). Good problem to have (talented roster).

I don't know who you have been watching but Trey has gotten better every year, and is a very suitable backup.

I mean I agree with your point, I just feel your assessment on T-Rex was a little harsh.

What he lacks in length, he makes up for in Heart and Hustle.

His main problem has been staying healthy

Trey Hendrickson's arms are only 3/4" shorter than Curry's. Hendrickson (6-3, 266) also has great burst. He ran a 4.65 40 with a 1.59 10 yard split. His burst has never been an issue. It was always his ability to hold up at the POA vs the run. He has definitely improved and I expect to see him with a handful of sacks this year.

Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson, and Granderson is a nice group of DEs. If we add a Vinny Curry or Everson Griffen, we will be absolutely loaded at the position. Not to mention Zack Baun who should see action as a pass rusher.

Idk, that's 2 different positions/roles.

Chikillo is more or less a ST signing

He will also provide depth as a pass-rusher. His exact quotes from yesterday’s conference call:

“Do you have any ideas specifically how they'll use you on defense?
"I'm not entirely sure, but I know I'm putting my hand back down in the dirt. In Pittsburgh, we were in a two point stance. We were in a three-four and still on some passing situations I was able to put my hand down, so it's not like I haven't done in the past five years."
Is that something that kind of intrigues you? Is that something you were kind of looking for in your next step?
"For sure, I've always liked rushing with my hand down, better than out of a two-point (stance). It's going to be a lot of fun."
How much of a learning curve do you think it will be just to sort of reacclimate yourself to play in that position in that sort of way?
"I think it will be (an adjustment). Like I said in Pittsburgh, I was rushing out of a three-point stance, really whenever we ran our nickel package. I got to do it a whole bunch and when (in 2016 in) New Orleans in the preseason, I was rushing out of a three-point stance in the Superdome and when we played in the regular season (in 2018) I was rushing off a three-point stance. I'm sure the coaches saw that I was able to do that."

I don't know who you have been watching but Trey has gotten better every year, and is a very suitable backup.

I mean I agree with your point, I just feel your assessment on T-Rex was a little harsh.

What he lacks in length, he makes up for in Heart and Hustle.

His main problem has been staying healthy
Maybe it came across as harsh but I like him. Just my opinion that he will not become a starter. He has grown stronger and improved each year but he gets pressure via hustle and not giving up. He can't overwhelm someone with his size like Davenport and he lacks the quick-twitch speed to blow past a tackle. He is a career backup. My point is that if Davenport can't go or is on a pitch count, I don't feel T-Rex is the answer to get us far. I think the end of last year showed that. We need a veteran DE with something left in the tank. We need what we had in Alex Okafor.

Trey Hendrickson's arms are only 3/4" shorter than Curry's. Hendrickson (6-3, 266) also has great burst. He ran a 4.65 40 with a 1.59 10 yard split. His burst has never been an issue. It was always his ability to hold up at the POA vs the run. He has definitely improved and I expect to see him with a handful of sacks this year.

Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson, and Granderson is a nice group of DEs. If we add a Vinny Curry or Everson Griffen, we will be absolutely loaded at the position. Not to mention Zack Baun who should see action as a pass rusher.

It's my opinion that he does not have great burst. Speed in the 40 yard does not equal an elite first step and burst to the QB. I think that's why he needs hustle and not giving up on a play to make his sacks (coverage sacks). I think he is also a little light for a DE in the run game. He's a fine backup but my comments are more directed to "can he start if Davenport can't go". I think the answer is no. Therefore to mitigate the risk of him not being available I think we need another veteran DE. Like you said, "then we will be absolutely loaded at the position". That's what we need this year. All in to secure the Lombardi. I don't want "good enough", I want to go all the way. Granderson and Hendrickson are not enough if Davenport is unavailable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom