Virginia WRs: Wr Joe Reed vs AJ Brown & Hasise Dubois (Saints-related) (1 Viewer)

that's a good comparison too - in stature & because he catches everything - but I think he plays smoother, more like #12 (it's hard for me to compare anyone to Mike because he just CAN'T BE GUARDED).
If there were three wrs that I would dare compare to MT in this draft as an amateur fan/scout they would be

Denzel Mims
Isaiah Hodgins
Hasise Dubois

They are all identical in stature to CGM, catch everything thrown their way, and run routes with impeccable, devastating. precision.

I like Joe Reed a lot! I think he is more fluid than Brown and has the same ability to do some of the things that Deebo Samuel does for the 49’ners.

In an ideal world, the Saints would like to come away with two receivers and a lot of that will depend on how the board falls and especially on whether or not they opt for a QB in round 1 as I believe they could. But I say all that to say that Reed’s skill set would be a welcomed addition.

I know that there are reports that the Saints like Jordan Love but Im not particularly sold on Love for quite a few reasons. Mostly because I think that he reminds me of Marcus Mariota in several ways.

I just think that there is much more to playing Qb than a big arm and downfield accuracy.

Besides deficiencies in pro-style projections (footwork, mechanics, inaccuracy under pressure etc) I just think that Anthony Gordon and and Jacob Eason are superior prospects. Especially Gordon.

Compare Gordon's league-leading yards per game and completion % as the only player with over 600 attempts to Gardner Minshew the year before and Joe Burrow this year.

Screenshot_2020-04-03-02-18-39.png
Screenshot_2020-04-03-02-19-41.pngScreenshot_2020-04-03-02-20-55.pngScreenshot_2020-04-03-02-21-33.png

@60minutes

Bryce Perkins (64.5%) and Jacob Eason (64.2%) also had superior completion percentages to Love (61.9%) though all had over 400 pass attempts.

To your point about taking 2 wrs, I would love that and here is a clip of Gordon hitting my favorite wr in Chase Claypool for a TD in the Senior Bowl.

I think that Claypool and Mims will likely emerge as the best wrs in this class similar to how Mike Evans and Odell Beckham Jr. emerged from the 2014 class and T.O. and Marvin Harrison emerged from the 96' Class.

Though I think that on paper Henry Ruggs compares best to Marvin Harrison while Mims compares best to Beckham Jr in speed and MT in size and agility.

Last edited:
As enamored as I am with taking a wr early I do believe now that

Isaiah Hodgins
Hasise Dubois
Joe Reed
Binjimin Victor
KJ Osborn
Kristian Wilkerson
Scotty Washington

Are great values from rounds 4-7 for the size-speed combo that the team usually have been looking for lately in big wrs.

I also think that slot guys like

Darrell Stewart
Malcolm Perry
Maurice Ffrench
Mason Kinsey

Could be starting caliber slot players who might fall out of the draft.

Last edited:
Below are More KR TDs by Joe Reed.

100 yds,
92 yds
81 yds
98 yds

in addition to the 95 yarder in the OP.

5 return TDs of 80+ yds

Last edited:
Joe Reed one handed TD

Joe Reed Deep catches

75 yd TD

56 yd TD

42 yd catch

75 yard TD

Last edited:
Joe Reed one handed TD

Joe Reed Deep catches

75 yd TD

56 yd TD

42 yd catch

75 yard TD

Lots of insight as usual

Can he cover kicks? Same question for the others, too. Because that's got to be the path onto the team for these later round and undrafted prospects. Kick return skills are less important, I think, unless Deonte Harris is about to be actively taken away from those duties. Or are you talking in the context of Joe's excellent RAC skills.

And of course, the other staple requirement for WR in an SP offense, can they block and do it well? Although I see that as more coachable.

Lots of insight as usual

Can he cover kicks? Same question for the others, too. Because that's got to be the path onto the team for these later round and undrafted prospects. Kick return skills are less important, I think, unless Deonte Harris is about to be actively taken away from those duties. Or are you talking in the context of Joe's excellent RAC skills.

And of course, the other staple requirement for WR in an SP offense, can they block and do it well? Although I see that as more coachable.
He has 10 tackles in his career but thats all that I could find.

Nada on Dubois either.

That's not to say that they can't be tried there later.

Last edited:
He has 10 tackles in his career but thats all that I could find.
Yeah, it's probably a gap in the sort of scout reports the media produce for us general consumers, whereas it matters for the teams.

However, you also may have guys who were star players at their respective programme, never asked to run down on kickoffs, but now at the next level they have to start doing it to survive. Until you see them at practice, you won't know. (Although this might be a great benefit of the senior bowl and similar games where teams are put together and practice in the preceding week).

When I helped coach ST a little, I wanted to assess as quickly as possible each player on their ability to make open field blocks, open field tackles, defeat blocks and their attitude (willingness). I knew their athleticism from general testing in preseason and from positional tape, and finding the returners had usually already happened.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's probably a gap in the sort of scout reports the media produce for us general consumers, whereas it matters for the teams.

However, you also may have guys who were star players at their respective programme, never asked to run down on kickoffs, but now at the next level they have to start doing it to survive. Until you see them at practice, you won't know. (Although this might be a great benefit of the senior bowl and similar games where teams are put together and practice in the preceding week).

When I helped coach ST a little, I wanted to assess as quickly as possible each player on their ability to make open field blocks, open field tackles, defeat blocks and their attitude (willingness). I knew their athleticism from general testing in preseason and from positional tape, and finding the returners has usually already happened.
Exactly.

They probably won't know until invited to minicamp/training camp who will be the next Taysom Hill or Harris, but judging by how physical Dubois is and how explosive Reed seems to be it would be hard for me to bet against them.

Exactly.

They probably won't know until invited to minicamp/training camp who will be the next Taysom Hill or Harris, but judging by how physical Dubois is and how explosive Reed seems to be it would be hard for me to bet against them.
I've not read or researched anywhere near as much, but interestingly Reed's scout report on NFL.com specifically points out lack of explosiveness as a weakness. Of course, scouts are often wrong ?

I also hear teams asked Reed to work out at RB, where he originally played at HS and initially at college.

I've not read or researched anywhere near as much, but interestingly Reed's scout report on NFL.com specifically points out lack of explosiveness as a weakness. Of course, scouts are often wrong ?

I also hear teams asked Reed to work out at RB, where he initially played at HS and initially at college.
My lying eyes says that he is plenty explosive and has good enough wr skill to stick at that position.

I just don't want to make the same mistake that I did with AJ Brown in writing him off prematurely because he has an unconventional body type.

He can break tackles for YAC and blow by defenders deep.

The kid looks pretty special.

He and Dubois seem to be getting unfairly lost in the crowd of great prospects this year.

I feel the same way about Bryan Edwards, Isaiah Hodgins and Darrell Stewart.

I know that there are reports that the Saints like Jordan Love but Im not particularly sold on Love for quite a few reasons. Mostly because I think that he reminds me of Marcus Mariota in several ways.

I just think that there is much more to playing Qb than a big arm and downfield accuracy.

Besides deficiencies in pro-style projections (footwork, mechanics, inaccuracy under pressure etc) I just think that Anthony Gordon and and Jacob Eason are superior prospects. Especially Gordon.

Compare Gordon's league-leading yards per game and completion % as the only player with over 600 attempts to Gardner Minshew the year before and Joe Burrow this year.

Screenshot_2020-04-03-02-18-39.png
Screenshot_2020-04-03-02-19-41.pngScreenshot_2020-04-03-02-20-55.pngScreenshot_2020-04-03-02-21-33.png

I disagree on Love.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom