Virtual Box vs VmWare (1 Viewer)

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys like best between the two. I've played with both now, and one thing I nocticed is that with VmWare you can assign 2 CPUs to a vm, and with Virtual Box only 1. Are there anymore advantages/disadvantages with one or the other?

Very popular thread here, Buikman!

VMWare, is a very mature product and not hard to use. It has been very well tested and would probably be my recommendation for VMs in a "Production Environment".
It comes in all sizes, shapes, and colors. :mwink:

Personally, I love Virtualbox. But that's for "messing around" with different Desktop OSes and such. Virtualbox does have a commercial version, but I have not used it.

If setting up something acting as a Server, need virtual SMP, or virtual clusters, etc, I use Xen.
Xen, however is a completely different beast. Xen runs extremely well, but somewhat complicated to setup and requires a custom modified guest OSes due to the paravirtualization.
BTW, I usually run the dom0 on a NetBSD-4 box.
If your interested, here is a site with a bunch of nice custom images, http://jailtime.org

That's generally what I'm doing, just messing around with betas and such. I plan on getting one going with Gentoo, which is why I wanted to be able to assign 2 CPUs to it. It helps with all that compiling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom