VIRUS WARNING: FinHeaven Message Board (1 Viewer)

TheBayouBullet

Still here.
Reaction score
Precautionary warning to my fellow Who-Dats: visit FinHeaven at your own risk. I went there tonight to see what the competition was saying, and within five minutes of browsing had an odd message from "yourtotalsecurity" appear from my screen suggesting that my computer was "at risk" or something, while simultaneously closing my browser. Clicked on the red X to close (not a false image of a red X, but the real one), and the next thing I see is Windows Explorer being scanned. Immediately rebooted, and everything seems to be fine. I did notice that upon opening FireFox, it went straight to a yourtotalsecurity page, but that might be attributed to Firefox remembering what was closed last. Annoying thing resized my Firefox browser window, too, to about a 2-inch box with barely anything visible.

Do a Google search for "FinHeaven" and "virus," and you'll see that this is a recent issue with ads that appeared on their site. I haven't clicked on any of the Google links for fear of going back to FinHeaven, but you can tell just be reading the Google descriptions that it's a real, recent issue. It might just be adware, but...well...ware is ware.

I think I'm okay - an up-to-date Norton's coming up blank on me. Nonethetless, as fun as it is to smack-talk and explore other teams' boards...you might want to pass on the Dolphins this go around.

Feel free to sticky this, Mods, if you so feel the need. I don't want anyone's computer getting infected.

FireFox + NoScript addon is the only safe way to browse the web these days...

I had something similar on another site. It's a scam- a web page that only LOOKS like it's scanning your computer, falsely shows that you're infected, then tries to sell you their crap software to fix it. Don't worry about it.

Good looking out bro montana..... i was over there looking at threads and it only made me realize how much i love SR.com.. This is the greatest web site on the interweb and it JUST HAPPENS to also be a saints forum...

I had something similar on another site. It's a scam- a web page that only LOOKS like it's scanning your computer, falsely shows that you're infected, then tries to sell you their crap software to fix it. Don't worry about it.

I figured as much, as I've seen those before, but I didn't want to take the chance. It's apparently enough of an issue at FinHeaven to have warranted its own thread.

You'll encounter this virus type on many sites using paid browser adds. It is not really Finheaven but the add company that leases the space. Some add companies do a good job fighting the injection of virus into their adds, others do not.

There is about 40 different versions of this type of malware out there and if you should encounter it the best advice is an immeadiate hard reboot - (push the power button), then restart in failsafe and empty all internet buffers and scan pc.

Finheaven was the target of a malicious attack a few years ago and were down for a few months (I'm a member there as well) and that site is just as important for phin fans as this one is for us, so I would think they would take security serious

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom