VMware/Windows install to Mac (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Friend just got a new iMac and already downloaded and paid for VMware with the idea of installing Windows on the iMac. Went to try to download 8.1 and found that you have be able to run an .exe file which obviously can't be done. Is there a way to dl Windows to Mac through the VMware? Or how can I get Windows installed on there?

I didn't realize the new iMacs didn't come with built in DVD/CD player. So I'm not sure how to install Windows. I suppose I could just buy the physical disks at a local store and use an external optical reader to install that way.

Just a pita to do stuff like this, meh.

Do you have a Windows 8.1 product key? Go here to see how you can get the ISO. Be sure to read the comments. Some folks ran into issues, figured them out, and posted fixes.

You just need to mount the iso file to your virtual CDROM and you should be good to go..

**facepalm**

Yeah, no Windows already, so it's a clean install. And no CDROM, at least not yet. I'm gonna read the article though to see what the options are.

Well, those instructions are for upgrading to 8.1. Doesn't talk about a clean install.

Guess it's off to the store to get the optical version. I don't understand why software makers are not using memory sticks to distribute their products. They're far smaller, although probably not cheaper. Not to mention many new computers are coming out sans optical readers.

Yeah, no Windows already, so it's a clean install. And no CDROM, at least not yet. I'm gonna read the article though to see what the options are.

Well, those instructions are for upgrading to 8.1. Doesn't talk about a clean install.

Guess it's off to the store to get the optical version. I don't understand why software makers are not using memory sticks to distribute their products. They're far smaller, although probably not cheaper. Not to mention many new computers are coming out sans optical readers.

the instructions are good for getting a copy of the iso (don't be mislead by the upgrade, the iso can be used for a fresh installation). honestly, i haven't seen another approach yet to find the installation .iso other than copying it directly from a physical copy (or finding a friend with a technet of msdn account).

the instructions are good for getting a copy of the iso (don't be mislead by the upgrade, the iso can be used for a fresh installation). honestly, i haven't seen another approach yet to find the installation .iso other than copying it directly from a physical copy (or finding a friend with a technet of msdn account).

Yea, the physical copy doesn't cost any different anyway. Prolly just gonna go that route.

well, to be a little clearer, prob would just take the iso, copy it to a usb, mount it under vmware as the cdrom virtual cd-rom pick that file.
Then use it as your boot medium when launch vmware.

dang, hope i didn't muddy it up more.

Reading your link, the 8.1 can only be downloaded if you're an MSDN subscriber, of which I am not. Haven't yet purchased a key because I've not yet figured out what to do.

To be sure, what is the ISO file? And how is that different than the exe (windowssetupbox.exe) file that I couldn't use to download Windows? Doing what you said sounds easy enough if I could get my hands on the ISO file.

This is the page I used to try to download the ISO (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only), but in order to download the ISO, you have to be able to run the exe file that comes up when you click the "Install Windows 8.1" link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

I wonder if the ISO can be downloaded from a torrent site? All I'd have to do is put in the product key when prompted.

An ISO is basically a snapshot of what would be on a physical disk. So it's the physical disk in digital form. You mount the ISO on a virtual drive and the computer thinks you have actually put the physical disk into the drive. If 8.1 is like other MS OS then you should be able to download from MS (full version) as a trial but after a certain amount of time it will ask you for a key (30 days for instance, I don't know what the actual "trial" window is). You can "renew" the trial for another period but eventually you will have to enter the key. I've done this tons of times for my VM lab at home.

Yeah, but it's the same thing there, you have to be able to launch the exe file to get to the ISO, which can't be done using Mac or VMware. Oh well. Heck, I even tried doing it from WinXP and that doesn't even work.

Reading your link, the 8.1 can only be downloaded if you're an MSDN subscriber, of which I am not. Haven't yet purchased a key because I've not yet figured out what to do.

To be sure, what is the ISO file? And how is that different than the exe (windowssetupbox.exe) file that I couldn't use to download Windows? Doing what you said sounds easy enough if I could get my hands on the ISO file.

This is the page I used to try to download the ISO (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only), but in order to download the ISO, you have to be able to run the exe file that comes up when you click the "Install Windows 8.1" link.

You need to first create a windows 8 VMware image, even a trial version will do.

Once you have done that you can then open the windows 8.1 exe inside of your vmware image.

If your not opposed to using a torrent client to get windows 8 here is a link to download one.

http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8678570/Windows_8_32bit_and_64bit_with_patch_[mindcrasher]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom