Vonn Bell: New Orleans Saints Rookie Film Study (1 Viewer)

mrwhodat

Saintiac
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Same guy who did the Sheldon Rankins piece last week. Good stuff here.

Vonn Bell: New Orleans Saints Rookie Film Study

One thing Bell is not is a player who is going to amaze you with his physical stature and measurables. He posted a 4.5-second 40-yard dash time at Ohio State’s pro day, and only managed 16 bench reps at the NFL Scouting combine while officially being listed at 5-foot-11, 205-lbs. While on paper those figures might not jump off the page, his ability to read and react on defense is how he made his mark at Ohio State. So far this season, he’s managed to translate that to the NFL.

Very excited to see how he develops once he gets an offseason in an NFL strength and conditioning program. He could use a few extra pounds of muscle. Plus, just more experience.

I've been really impressed with Bell in the 3rd safety spot. I'm a little less certain of his future as the pure FS but we definitely hit on him.

He's single handedly shut down a drive or two by himself this season. He makes mistakes every now and again but he makes far more plays than he gives up.

He only replaced Byrd at FS for that one game though. He's since just been the SS while Byrd plays FS and Vaccaro kicks down to NB/NS in the 3 Safety Set.

Most people like to label Byrd as the scapegoat. I think especially 2nd half of the year closer to the box he has played well. I think he should take a paycut and stay as the 3rd safety. Bell and KV are the starters. Im torn on the secondary Ive seen a lot of people thinking we need to take a CB in the draft...I dont think we need another rookie CB...heres why. We have PJ Williams and Swann two young players that have had injuries but unless you take a CB first whats the say that he will be better than PJ a year later or even Moore and Webb who have played well IMO. Even Crawley could surprise year 2 if he cleans up some mistakes. I think if we see CB as a need then they need to sign a veteran. AJ Bouye from the Texans is who I would go after, if we can't get him I think we should resign Moore and Webb and draft LB/DE. Those are top 2 needs on D imo. I hate the idea of CB in the 1st or even the 2nd with a deep edge/LB class.

Interesting note: Bell and Stephone Anthony were the only two defenders to play every defensive snap.

Most people like to label Byrd as the scapegoat. I think especially 2nd half of the year closer to the box he has played well. I think he should take a paycut and stay as the 3rd safety. Bell and KV are the starters. Im torn on the secondary Ive seen a lot of people thinking we need to take a CB in the draft...I dont think we need another rookie CB...heres why. We have PJ Williams and Swann two young players that have had injuries but unless you take a CB first whats the say that he will be better than PJ a year later or even Moore and Webb who have played well IMO. Even Crawley could surprise year 2 if he cleans up some mistakes. I think if we see CB as a need then they need to sign a veteran. AJ Bouye from the Texans is who I would go after, if we can't get him I think we should resign Moore and Webb and draft LB/DE. Those are top 2 needs on D imo. I hate the idea of CB in the 1st or even the 2nd with a deep edge/LB class.

This is the second season in a row they've both been put on IR. There's no way I would go into next season expecting either one of them to contribute. If they do, great. But we should be looking at corner in FA and the draft. We always end up with some undrafted rookie starting multiple games. I say load up in CB's.

This is the second season in a row they've both been put on IR. There's no way I would go into next season expecting either one of them to contribute. If they do, great. But we should be looking at corner in FA and the draft. We always end up with some undrafted rookie starting multiple games. I say load up in CB's.

FA I agree. CB needs a vet there. Ive noticed CB is one the hardest positions for a rookie to come in immediately and contribute at a high level. Thats why I say stay away for the draft. But Webb and Moore have played well like to keep one of those guys. I disagree with loading up on CB. We need to load up on Dline thats where it all starts. We have had 5 CBs injured at different times (Breaux, Williams, Swann, Wilson, Moore). Thats just bad luck man. I feel like PJ was showing very good potential and had a freak injury. Swann yeah he needs to be replaced I worry about his concussions. But we need a vet there not another rookie learning CB for a year. DE and LB should be draft priority over CB

FA I agree. CB needs a vet there. Ive noticed CB is one the hardest positions for a rookie to come in immediately and contribute at a high level. Thats why I say stay away for the draft. But Webb and Moore have played well like to keep one of those guys. I disagree with loading up on CB. We need to load up on Dline thats where it all starts. We have had 5 CBs injured at different times (Breaux, Williams, Swann, Wilson, Moore). Thats just bad luck man. I feel like PJ was showing very good potential and had a freak injury. Swann yeah he needs to be replaced I worry about his concussions. But we need a vet there not another rookie learning CB for a year. DE and LB should be draft priority over CB

Yeah I would much rather a CB in FA. AJ Bouye or Trumaine Johnson would be awesome. But if we can't land one of those guys I wouldn't be against drafting a CB. Especially if they feel like whoever it is has #1 CB potential.

Interesting note: Bell and Stephone Anthony were the only two defenders to play every defensive snap.

I know one thing. Bell talks on the back end at S.

He's constantly communicating and directing guys. Love that about him. This is just a thought but If I had to label the most important positions on D just via scheme it would be LDE, S, WLB, Corner. Safety position is Set, as is LDE. WLB if you can get Anthony to even just be Average at MLB will get a big boost with Ellerbe/Robertson as the guys there and then you can develop someone like Feeney behind them.

That means instead of having to go after a WLB in the draft (which the D has played well at the LB position all year) you can cure what really ails the defense and get a pass-rusher opposite Cam Jordan.

Now i know it looks like I contradicted myself by not listing WDE as an important position but thats because it's not one with the most responsibilities or thats asked to do a lot.

Cam has to fight off the TE's as a 6tech on most occasions
The WLB is asked to Cover/Blitz/ and play the Run (likely why we were so patient with Ellerbe)
The Corners we saw how down in the dumps the D got without legit DB's.
Safety- Its obvious if you are going to run 3 Safety sets why its an important position.

So as you can see the responsibilities of those positions appear to have more on their plate as far as the success of the defense is concerned. Cam is easily the lynchpin.

So thats why you can get away with signing a guy like Kruger to play the RDE position because the alignment most times gives him favorable matchups.

With that being said if you can get a top graded player there it boost the entire Defense because a passrush can separate a good defense from an average one.

Yeah I would much rather a CB in FA. AJ Bouye or Trumaine Johnson would be awesome. But if we can't land one of those guys I wouldn't be against drafting a CB. Especially if they feel like whoever it is has #1 CB potential.

I agree maybe CB in later rounds. Johnson was tagged last year and Rams have cap space I think he gets a huge deal. Bouye is under the radar guy I really like Breaux, Bouye, Moore, Williams, Webb, Crawley. I like that group a lot potentially.

I know one thing. Bell talks on the back end at S.

He's constantly communicating and directing guys. Love that about him. This is just a thought but If I had to label the most important positions on D just via scheme it would be LDE, S, WLB, Corner. Safety position is Set, as is LDE. WLB if you can get Anthony to even just be Average at MLB will get a big boost with Ellerbe/Robertson as the guys there and then you can develop someone like Feeney behind them.

That means instead of having to go after a WLB in the draft (which the D has played well at the LB position all year) you can cure what really ails the defense and get a pass-rusher opposite Cam Jordan.

Now i know it looks like I contradicted myself by not listing WDE as an important position but thats because it's not one with the most responsibilities or thats asked to do a lot.

Cam has to fight off the TE's as a 6tech on most occasions
The WLB is asked to Cover/Blitz/ and play the Run (likely why we were so patient with Ellerbe)
The Corners we saw how down in the dumps the D got without legit DB's.
Safety- Its obvious if you are going to run 3 Safety sets why its an important position.

So as you can see the responsibilities of those positions appear to have more on their plate as far as the success of the defense is concerned. Cam is easily the lynchpin.

So thats why you can get away with signing a guy like Kruger to play the RDE position because the alignment most times gives him favorable matchups.

With that being said if you can get a top graded player there it boost the entire Defense because a passrush can separate a good defense from an average one.

There are so many edge players we can take this year to fill that RDE spot better than Kruger its exciting (Barnett, Williams, Lawson all would be a boost). Also the cover LBs are better in this years draft as well hopefully we get one of those guys too.

I agree maybe CB in later rounds. Johnson was tagged last year and Rams have cap space I think he gets a huge deal. Bouye is under the radar guy I really like Breaux, Bouye, Moore, Williams, Webb, Crawley. I like that group a lot potentially.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt Bouye is under the radar as far as NFL front office people are concerned. He has been very good.

There are so many edge players we can take this year to fill that RDE spot better than Kruger its exciting (Barnett, Williams, Lawson all would be a boost). Also the cover LBs are better in this years draft as well hopefully we get one of those guys too.

To me it would appear the perfect guy to play the RDE position but could also backup the LDE position would be Derek Barnett. Everything I've seen Tennesse ask him to do and how they move him around is exactly how we've used Kruger this year.

We've played Kruger as a Standup Rusher as well as a Down Rusher. We ask him to play the run first and not get caught going up field. He just doesn't provide consistent pressure when we say hey go get him but he's also played some smart ball too.

Barnett is the clear cut upgrade to him. Capable of playing with Similar power but he can bend the edge that Kruger can't. I don't see a better fit for the defense right now.

We can allow Edebali to walk and sign a guy like Mario Addison to be a 3rd down guy (who wont command cheap dollars) but when you are maybe in a position to get an all around DE like Barnett is I think you have to take him.

I know we are out of the playoffs. I think it is time to let these rookies and second year players get their minutes. Unleash them and see what they can do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom