Vonn Bell to Bengals (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just owndering if this was an Ingram situation.

Saints offered at least $8 million and he turned it down, so they went to Plan B.
8M? 1st I've heard of this.
According to Underhill, Saints offered $7.5 million but Bell's people never responded to the offer. So, they move on to Malcolm Jenkins.
ESPN reporting 3yrs $18mil.

So if we really did offer 7.5/yr, it sounds like his agent overplayed his hand, ala Ingram...
Yep, it does seem his agent overvalued his market. Here's what Nick Underhill wrote in his article at the time (pay site):

New Orleans was interested in keeping safety Vonn Bell and offered him something around the neighborhood of $7.5 million per season, according to a source. The safety had an offer and was in the process of exchanging offers, but New Orleans decided to move on to Jenkins, who agreed to a four-year deal worth a reported $8 million per season.
Underhill has said often this year that the Saints have a value in mind for each free agent and are sticking to it. I am enjoying Underhill's new site very much.

Igordão

All-Pro
Reaction score
Okay, but the Saints signed Emmanuel Sanders at $8 mil per year, which would be on the level of a 5th. That has to cancel out one of the compensatory picks gained. Maybe someone who knows more on this can comment, but I believe the Sanders signing would cancel up to the 3rd for Teddy and not down to one of the 6ths (Klein & Bell).
Sanders cancel with Apple.

OP
OP

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Yep, it does seem his agent overvalued his market. Here's what Nick Underhill wrote in his article at the time (pay site):

Underhill has said often this year that the Saints have a value in mind for each free agent and are sticking to it. I am enjoying Underhill's new site very much.
Agree completely.

I’m not one to tell people how to spend their money. Especially at a time like this. But if youre One of the fortunate few who has some $ these days, it’s well worth the money.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
According to this report, Vonn Bell agreed to sign a 3 year contract worth $18M ($6M per season) with the Cincinnati Bengals.

He passed on the Saints contract... or dragged his feet or whatever.. and got less money to play for a perennial dumpster fire in Ohio.

Congrats Vonn

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
This seems remarkably affordable. Did Vonn Bell pull a Mark Ingram?
The difference being Mark Ingram went to a better situation (for him professionally) and to a team that is a viable contender more often than not...

Bell took less to go to the laughing stock of the NFL, with probably the worst owner in the game.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Much more than Bell. It amazes me how overrated Bell is on this board. He is mostly the reason Marcus can’t play to his strengths because he has to worry about bells lack of coverage skills
💯 disagree with that. The neat thing is one of us will be proven wrong this season with Bell gone. If as you say he was why Marcus is a poor free safety...then Marcus will be freed up to make some good plays.

Instead of his highlight reel of terribly anti clutch plays. That’s the only time I’ve ever seen him really. He did have one very nice interception last season if I recall correctly. Showed great range on that play.

It’s amazing to me how anyone here thinks Williams is a good free safety.

I hope you’re right tho and I’ll be pulling for him as always.

TruSaint

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t get the compensatory picks, like do we have them or not or when is it official? Like is it 100% we’re gonna get them?

thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom