Vonn Bell to Bengals (10 Viewers)

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
I don’t get the compensatory picks, like do we have them or not or when is it official? Like is it 100% we’re gonna get them?

thanks
I will not believe the Saints have any compensatory picks until they are announced and officially designated. The NFL will likely change the formula and the Saints will be left out, again.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m trying to back track thru this, has the money been announced? I’ll be sick if it’s less than what we offered.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
This should be a lesson to current Saints players and free agents alike (2 years running, and even occurred with a team leader in Mark Ingram last season).

If the Saints and Loomis make you an offer, it’s going to be a fair offer and likely at or above market value... You need to engage and respond to the team, or they will simply move on to another option. Ingram blew it, and ended up with basically the same money on a contending Ravens team..
Bell blew it, and ended up in the arm pit of the NFL for less money.

BigSlick

Unit 3000-21 is warming.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like even if the Loomis deals don't have the eye-popping numbers, they have a good amount of signing bonus/immediate cash money (i.e. real money instead of just giant numbers on the back end of a long contract), and are short enough to where the players can hit the market again in just a year or two.

[edit]: Congrats Bell, hope you continue to ball out with your new team!

sammymvpknight

Inner circle
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Much more than Bell. It amazes me how overrated Bell is on this board. He is mostly the reason Marcus can’t play to his strengths because he has to worry about bells lack of coverage skills
Give me a break. This the the most classic SSF post ever. A guy leaves and immediately he gets blamed and gets called overrated. Bell did his job consistently...Williams doesn’t. Are you going to now argue that Bell was responsible for Williams ducking his head and completely missing Diggs?

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Much more than Bell. It amazes me how overrated Bell is on this board. He is mostly the reason Marcus can’t play to his strengths because he has to worry about bells lack of coverage skills
I've been thinking that Bell might be a little overrated by us here on the board. What are we actually losing in Bell? A young Safety who is good in the box and helps in run support. Coverage isn't his strength but coverage is what we've been lacking. Our run defense has been really good the past few years so maybe we can afford to lose a good run support Safety.

And what are we gaining in Jenkins? An older Safety who is versatile and is good in coverage and decent in run support. Bell could end up becoming a Pro Bowler with the Bengals but for 2020 which player helps the team as currently constructed more? Bell or Jenkins? To me it's Jenkins strictly because of his coverage ability and having a coach on the field type vet.

I really liked having Bell on this team and I wish him nothing but the best. I hope he goes on to have a great career in the AFC.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
Bell should be livid!

He lost 4.5 mil, that is a lot of money to any plaeyer unless you are a top 10 QB.
Bell was a good Saint, but he is a Saint no longer. I wish him well, but I’m not going to root for him or follow his career at all.

I’m a Saints fan, and in my honest opinion, the Saints made the right move.
Malcolm Jenkins is the better player right now. When Jenkins starts to slip (or his contract expires) the Saints have the next SS already on the roster, and CJ Gardner-Johnson has All-Pro SS potential in spades.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
I've been thinking that Bell might be a little overrated by us here on the board. What are we actually losing in Bell? A young Safety who is good in the box and helps in run support. Coverage isn't his strength but coverage is what we've been lacking. Our run defense has been really good the past few years so maybe we can afford to lose a good run support Safety.

And what are we gaining in Jenkins? An older Safety who is versatile and is good in coverage and decent in run support. Bell could end up becoming a Pro Bowler with the Bengals but for 2020 which player helps the team as currently constructed more? Bell or Jenkins? To me it's Jenkins strictly because of his coverage ability and having a coach on the field type vet.
When Onyemata didn’t play vs the Texans, the defense was missing something...
When Davenport and Rankins were lost from the defense, the defense obviously felt it...
When AJ Klein was hurt, the defense took a hit... same for Kiko Alonso...
When Latt was hurt, the defense was obviously different...

But... when Vonn Bell was out and CJGJ filled-in, the defense was just as good if not a little better.

IMHO, Bell wanted to leave before CJGJ took his starting job outright, and further hurt his value.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This should be a lesson to current Saints players and free agents alike (2 years running, and even occurred with a team leader in Mark Ingram last season).

If the Saints and Loomis make you an offer, it’s going to be a fair offer and likely at or above market value... You need to engage and respond to the team, or they will simply move on to another option. Ingram blew it, and ended up with basically the same money on a contending Ravens team..
Bell blew it, and ended up in the arm pit of the NFL for less money.
Great post. Really great point. Loomis isn't low balling these guys at all. He's offering really fair contracts but players and agents think that they'll hit the big time on the open market.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 5)

Headlines

Top Bottom