Vonn Bell to Bengals (1 Viewer)

platinumvinnyv

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I think Jenk will help too.
Just don’t recall seeing too many positive game changing plays form Marcus. But it matters not what I or anyone else feels about him as a safety. We will all root for him as he’s a Saint.
The problem if hes doing his job you not going here much about him. Games the D played great he prolly had a good game. His does 2 negatives thinga to me that stand out to me. He seems to get either caught day dreaming or tries to make a big play and follows the welng receiver leaving his zone. Hes really young i would stick with him. I think jenkins going help his progress. Lattimore also.

26ISTHEMAN

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It's because these guys think they can get more and have to settle for less cause the Saints don't wait.

I like our approach. We can't sit here and wait and miss out while waiting.
I hated losing Ingram last year and Bell this year, but the Saints could not have handled the situations any better. Made them fair offers and moved on to plan B when the player decided to test his value in the open market. Only thing worse than losing both players would have been not signing competent replacements.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
10 with 2 forced fumbles. Marcus Williams is a good player that just has had a few mistakes at crucial times. There's not 5 free safeties better than him in the league.
I’ll continue to pull for him and hope he morphs into the next Ed Reed, at that point I’ll gladly eat crow.

As far as there aren’t 5 better? I disagree. I can name 5 off the top of my head that are better.
All subjective tho, so it doesn’t matter. He’s a Saint and I hope he continues to grow as a player.

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It is hard to know exactly what we offered Bell and what he signed for. But it sounds as though, like Ingram, Bell and his agent overvalued what Bell could get in free agency. Was this a new agent? Ingram hired a new agent right before free agency last year. It just sounds as though some agents are making promises that can't be kept or at least bad advice. It is certainly possible that Bell ignored his agent's advice with the Saints' offer and wanted more. But my sense is that some agents are not reading correctly the market.

Last edited:

SuperKid

Time for change
Reaction score
Eh I understood some people are a little upset over this but I'm keeping in mind Box Safety is right up there with SAM Backer as the least valuable, and most easily replaceable position on Defense.

I believe most on this board would have liked for him to come back, but definitely not at any more than $7.5 mil per year.

sainthood

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
This stings. We paid Jenkins an average of 8 and Bell only got 6. We got older and more experience and lost a player entering his prime. I just can't see this as an upgrade for the Saints. I love what Jenkins brings in the locker room and the community, but this seems like a great deal for the Bengals.

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Box safeties are almost extinct as the fullback. Sure some teams still use them but this is now a passing league... Vonn isn't the best safety to have on the back-end.

Fans get too emotionally attached to players and overlook the deficiencies. If Vonn had accepted the offer and resigned he'd be more of a blitzer than a back-end defender, and for the money that he wanted the Saints decided to move on to a player that can do both. Plus we already have his replacement on the roster (Chauncey), so Vonn was expendable.

Nobody can argue that even at MJ's age he's still a better pass defender than Vonn.

Reaction score
Eh I understood some people are a little upset over this but I'm keeping in mind Box Safety is right up there with SAM Backer as the least valuable, and most easily replaceable position on Defense.

I believe most on this board would have liked for him to come back, but definitely not at any more than $7.5 mil per year.
Exactly. A box safety is basically a linebacker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom