Vonn Bell to Bengals (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If we offered 7.5 per year to Bell, the offer was generous and was more than what most other strong safeties are signing for. I like Bell and wish he has resigned with the Saints. And I am concerned about the age of Jenkins and Sanders whom we have signed in free agency. But it sounds as though with Bell the team was more than fair with its contract offer.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I think Jenk will help too.
Just don’t recall seeing too many positive game changing plays form Marcus. But it matters not what I or anyone else feels about him as a safety. We will all root for him as he’s a Saint.
I'm up and down on Marcus. I think he's good but he's nowhere near a ballhawking safety. Most of his INTs have come from heave attempts. I can only think of one where he read it. Minnesota playoff game (rookie year) in the endzone.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
We never have continuity on Defense because we never keep our good players. This sucks.
Can't be mad at us. We offered 7.5 and he signed with the Bengals for 6 million a year. These guys think they can get more. We (the Saints) can't wait and lose out on other FA's because someone thinks they're worth more??

RKNSaint

Idle Wild
Reaction score
Can't be mad at us. We offered 7.5 and he signed with the Bengals for 6 million a year. These guys think they can get more. We (the Saints) can't wait and lose out on other FA's because someone thinks they're worth more??
But pulling the trigger on old man Jenkins seems anything but waiting.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nope, Jenkins was released. He would lol not count on the compensatory pick game.
Not sure if I am clear on this. I would think he would be considered as a cut since the Eagles did not pick up his option, but not sure how compensatory rules consider this.,

Reaction score
Not sure if I am clear on this. I would think he would be considered as a cut since the Eagles did not pick up his option, but not sure how compensatory rules consider this.,
Cut and released are the same thing. Released players do not count against the compensatory pick formula.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Cut and released are the same thing. Released players do not count against the compensatory pick formula.
Released is your word. Could it be considered that not exercising option just makes him a free agent? Is he considered under contract only after the option is exercised?

OP
OP

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Released is your word. Could it be considered that not exercising option just makes him a free agent? Is he considered under contract only after the option is exercised?
He was released.

Every year in a football contract is essentially a team option. They can cut/release you whenever they want. The only question is how much money they owe you when they do.

The point is that he hadn’t played out his entire contract, so he didn’t technically “leave” as a free agent. Thus, he doesn’t count in the comp pick formula

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm up and down on Marcus. I think he's good but he's nowhere near a ballhawking safety. Most of his INTs have come from heave attempts. I can only think of one where he read it. Minnesota playoff game (rookie year) in the endzone.
You said it better than I could. Spot on imo.

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
If we offered 7.5 per year to Bell, the offer was generous and was more than what most other strong safeties are signing for. I like Bell and wish he has resigned with the Saints. And I am concerned about the age of Jenkins and Sanders whom we have signed in free agency. But it sounds as though with Bell the team was more than fair with its contract offer.
We don’t know anything about the structure of the Saints offer. It’s possible that the Bengals offer was better over the first couple of years than the Saints’ offer.

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I really don't like them not retaining him. He seemed like a sure tackler and caused more than a few fumbles. At least he didn't go to a division rival

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
I really don't like them not retaining him. He seemed like a sure tackler and caused more than a few fumbles. At least he didn't go to a division rival
Im not one of those guys that’s going to try to put Bell down now that he’s gone. Bell is a good player, and he’s a sure tackler and had a real knack for being around the ball last season. His coverage skills have improved as well over the last season or so... So it’s entirely realistic that Bell’s best football is still in front of him.
The Saints have a bunch of really good young players, and they can’t keep them all. Malcolm Jenkins is a better all around Safety than Bell is right now. Jenkins is a darn good Safety, and even though he’s a little older now, he’s still playing at a high level... and his veteran leadership and championship experience is very important.
Then you have CJGJ... who is basically a more athletic Vonn Bell clone. Gardner-Johnson checks all the boxes for a modern day SS, and a very good one at that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom