Vonn Bell to Bengals (1 Viewer)

The writing was on the wall when we signed Jenkins... Best of luck to him... he earned a pay day, and I am sure he got it. Just wasn't gonna be here because we already had his replacement on the roster (CGJ)

And, I could be wrong, but I honestly think that CGJ is going to be an upgrade at SS. I expect our nickel defense to have Williams and CGJ at safety with Malcom Jenkins covering the slot.

And, I could be wrong, but I honestly think that CGJ is going to be an upgrade at SS. I expect our nickel defense to have Williams and CGJ at safety with Malcom Jenkins covering the slot.
In all honesty, I don’t think Bell will be missed one bit. He had one interception in 4 years due to his lack of coverage skills.
We should have resigned him and dumped Marcus Williams, the Whiffometer
Thats why they signed Malcolm Jenkins and Swearinger. Marcus will have to earn it this time. I can bet he won’t be able to miss tackles and assignments without consequences. Both Swearinger and MJ can play either safety position.

Plus, he should be excited, he might be playing with Burrow. Thats a upgrade over Brees. Flame away.

I agree with you. Burrow killed it last year, which is why he was an All-Pro, led the league in passing, and won both the league's MVP and Super Bowl MVP honors. It's hard to argue with that logic.

Oh wait, he hasn't played a single down in the NFL and we don't know yet just how good this man might be at the pro level? :loopy:

I liked Bell and thought he was solid. Not elite, but solid with the potential to get better. Saints offered him good money, and it's unfortunate he didn't accept. I don't fault either side, but at the end of the day, so long Bell.

Jenkins wasnt the player he is today when the saints let him go in FA.
He did an interview where he spoke and re dedicating himself to the game and learning a lot more under the coaches with Philly.

The same may happen for bell. He is a good player, Jenkins was considered good. But a change of scenery and different personal might elevate his game.

Plus, he should be excited, he might be playing with Burrow. Thats a upgrade over Brees. Flame away.
If we are speaking of the same interview, Jenkins said he was flourishing because the Saints staff was not playing him to his strengths and putting him in bad positions schematically. This was post Denis Allen (as DB coach) and prior to the hire of Aaron Glenn - the period when we had terrible DB coaches. He played well under Denis Allen before Allen went to Denver to be their DC and eventually Oakland as HC not long after we won SB.

Burrow is only an upgrade in youth, height, and arm strength at this point. He doesn't yet have the experience and tricks of the trade and muscle memory of a Drew Brees. I'm all for going all in to get Burrow, but make no mistake, though I think he has ethic, drive, and capacity to become, he still has to go through the learning curve. Granted, he may have more of a head start and shown he can make many reads and adjustments against the best defenses college can offer, but no college defense is as quick, smart, savvy, and experienced as the worst NFL defense.

ESPN reporting 3yrs $18mil.

So if we really did offer 7.5/yr, it sounds like his agent overplayed his hand, ala Ingram...
Sounds like they made their offer and when he did not accept it, they went for Jenkins without looking back. I wonder how this affects Kamara.

A good in the box Safety tho. And a nose for the ball.
How many ints does our ballhawking Free Safety have? And I’m not being a wise arse I just don’t think he has that many.
Much more than Bell. It amazes me how overrated Bell is on this board. He is mostly the reason Marcus can’t play to his strengths because he has to worry about bells lack of coverage skills

Had their salary been the same, we probably would have!

Question is, are we going back to the "two interchangeable safeties" model rather than the FS/ballhawk + SS/enforcer model?

Bengals have collected some good free agents this year.

They play 2 different safety positions. Saints play cover one M Williams is Deep Safety, Bell was the Box Safety. I believe Jenkins plays box safety.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom