Vonn Bell to Bengals (1 Viewer)

It is hard to know exactly what we offered Bell and what he signed for. But it sounds as though, like Ingram, Bell and his agent overvalued what Bell could get in free agency. Was this a new agent? Ingram hired a new agent right before free agency last year. It just sounds as though some agents are making promises that can't be kept or at least bad advice. It is certainly possible that Bell ignored his agent's advice with the Saints' offer and wanted more. But my sense is that some agents are not reading correctly the market.

Last edited:
Eh I understood some people are a little upset over this but I'm keeping in mind Box Safety is right up there with SAM Backer as the least valuable, and most easily replaceable position on Defense.

I believe most on this board would have liked for him to come back, but definitely not at any more than $7.5 mil per year.

This stings. We paid Jenkins an average of 8 and Bell only got 6. We got older and more experience and lost a player entering his prime. I just can't see this as an upgrade for the Saints. I love what Jenkins brings in the locker room and the community, but this seems like a great deal for the Bengals.

Box safeties are almost extinct as the fullback. Sure some teams still use them but this is now a passing league... Vonn isn't the best safety to have on the back-end.

Fans get too emotionally attached to players and overlook the deficiencies. If Vonn had accepted the offer and resigned he'd be more of a blitzer than a back-end defender, and for the money that he wanted the Saints decided to move on to a player that can do both. Plus we already have his replacement on the roster (Chauncey), so Vonn was expendable.

Nobody can argue that even at MJ's age he's still a better pass defender than Vonn.

Eh I understood some people are a little upset over this but I'm keeping in mind Box Safety is right up there with SAM Backer as the least valuable, and most easily replaceable position on Defense.

I believe most on this board would have liked for him to come back, but definitely not at any more than $7.5 mil per year.
Exactly. A box safety is basically a linebacker.

If we offered 7.5 per year to Bell, the offer was generous and was more than what most other strong safeties are signing for. I like Bell and wish he has resigned with the Saints. And I am concerned about the age of Jenkins and Sanders whom we have signed in free agency. But it sounds as though with Bell the team was more than fair with its contract offer.

Jenkins over Bell... smh..

.. someone advise me of how this makes sense..

NW.

I hear you. The only way I can make sense of this is that Allen and SP want some proven leadership with their young DBs and Jenkins can provide that

I think Jenk will help too.
Just don’t recall seeing too many positive game changing plays form Marcus. But it matters not what I or anyone else feels about him as a safety. We will all root for him as he’s a Saint.
I'm up and down on Marcus. I think he's good but he's nowhere near a ballhawking safety. Most of his INTs have come from heave attempts. I can only think of one where he read it. Minnesota playoff game (rookie year) in the endzone.

We never have continuity on Defense because we never keep our good players. This sucks.
Can't be mad at us. We offered 7.5 and he signed with the Bengals for 6 million a year. These guys think they can get more. We (the Saints) can't wait and lose out on other FA's because someone thinks they're worth more??

Can't be mad at us. We offered 7.5 and he signed with the Bengals for 6 million a year. These guys think they can get more. We (the Saints) can't wait and lose out on other FA's because someone thinks they're worth more??
But pulling the trigger on old man Jenkins seems anything but waiting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom