Vonn Bell to Bengals (1 Viewer)

Nope, Jenkins was released. He would lol not count on the compensatory pick game.
Not sure if I am clear on this. I would think he would be considered as a cut since the Eagles did not pick up his option, but not sure how compensatory rules consider this.,

Not sure if I am clear on this. I would think he would be considered as a cut since the Eagles did not pick up his option, but not sure how compensatory rules consider this.,
Cut and released are the same thing. Released players do not count against the compensatory pick formula.

Cut and released are the same thing. Released players do not count against the compensatory pick formula.
Released is your word. Could it be considered that not exercising option just makes him a free agent? Is he considered under contract only after the option is exercised?

Released is your word. Could it be considered that not exercising option just makes him a free agent? Is he considered under contract only after the option is exercised?

He was released.

Every year in a football contract is essentially a team option. They can cut/release you whenever they want. The only question is how much money they owe you when they do.

The point is that he hadn’t played out his entire contract, so he didn’t technically “leave” as a free agent. Thus, he doesn’t count in the comp pick formula

I'm up and down on Marcus. I think he's good but he's nowhere near a ballhawking safety. Most of his INTs have come from heave attempts. I can only think of one where he read it. Minnesota playoff game (rookie year) in the endzone.

You said it better than I could. Spot on imo.

If we offered 7.5 per year to Bell, the offer was generous and was more than what most other strong safeties are signing for. I like Bell and wish he has resigned with the Saints. And I am concerned about the age of Jenkins and Sanders whom we have signed in free agency. But it sounds as though with Bell the team was more than fair with its contract offer.

We don’t know anything about the structure of the Saints offer. It’s possible that the Bengals offer was better over the first couple of years than the Saints’ offer.

I really don't like them not retaining him. He seemed like a sure tackler and caused more than a few fumbles. At least he didn't go to a division rival

I really don't like them not retaining him. He seemed like a sure tackler and caused more than a few fumbles. At least he didn't go to a division rival

Im not one of those guys that’s going to try to put Bell down now that he’s gone. Bell is a good player, and he’s a sure tackler and had a real knack for being around the ball last season. His coverage skills have improved as well over the last season or so... So it’s entirely realistic that Bell’s best football is still in front of him.
The Saints have a bunch of really good young players, and they can’t keep them all. Malcolm Jenkins is a better all around Safety than Bell is right now. Jenkins is a darn good Safety, and even though he’s a little older now, he’s still playing at a high level... and his veteran leadership and championship experience is very important.
Then you have CJGJ... who is basically a more athletic Vonn Bell clone. Gardner-Johnson checks all the boxes for a modern day SS, and a very good one at that.

I heard we offered a deal averaging 7.5 at the beginning of fa and his agent didn’t accept it or turn it down. They didn’t make a decision so we jumped on a Jenkins. Very reminiscent of the Ingram situation last year.
Another dumb... agent that cost a player money and his team. Ingram at least landed with a good team.

Another dumb... agent that cost a player money and his team. Ingram at least landed with a good team.

Still trying to figure out why so many people think Ingram took less money to sign with the Ravens. They gave him more money and promised him the starting job.

Still trying to figure out why so many people think Ingram took less money to sign with the Ravens. They gave him more money and promised him the starting job.
Actually it was about the same money. Similar situation though in that Saints couldn't risk waiting. They signed somebody and it was too late.

Actually it was about the same money. Similar situation though in that Saints couldn't risk waiting. They signed somebody and it was too late.

Ingram accepted a deal from the Ravens on March 12 which had 1.5 million more guaranteed than the Saints offer. He did not give the Saints the opportunity to match. The Saints then agreed to terms with Murray the following day March 13.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom