VooDoo Complete First Week of Training Camp (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Saturday Scrimmage caps start of camp
Saturday, February 09, 2008
By Justin Macione

The New Orleans VooDoo completed their first week of training camp today with a one-hour live, scrimmage complete with officials at the New Orleans Saints Training Facility.

With eight workouts in the books and less than two weeks of camp remaining for players in competition for starting positions and roster spots to make an impression with Head Coach Mike Neu and his assistants, the next week of practice will be vital.

“It was good to see the guys in some live action today with game-type conditions,” said Neu. “It was also a great opportunity to evaluate the rookies as well as some of the players that are new to the indoor game.”

So far, Neu is pleased with the progression of his team, the level of effort and execution in the practices as well as the chemistry that they have displayed on and off the field.

“I’m excited to see some players and look at them in the face rather than just my assistant coaches,” said Neu. “I love those guys, but it’s been a long offseason staring at them and staring at the monitor in my office watching film. I’m just excited to see player interaction. I think we have a great group of guys. We worked very hard to improve in every area from size, speed and athleticism to character. I know what a lot of these guys are all about and what to expect from them at practice and in the meeting room.”

The coaching staff will spend this afternoon and an off day tomorrow evaluating the game film of the scrimmage. The VooDoo will then return to action on Monday, for two practices that will run from 8:45-11:45 a.m. Coaches and players will be available to the media following the workouts.

Roster Moves: The VooDoo have made several roster moves. The club signed DB Stephen Barrett, DL Manase Hopoi and WR Devin Lewis. The team also activated DB Keon Raymond from the Refused to Report list, activated WR James Jordan from the Left Squad list and waived DB Jasper Faulk.

Barrett (5-11, 212, McNeese State) comes to the VooDoo after a college career at McNeese State from 2003-06 where he played cornerback and safety. At McNeese, he made 250 tackles, four interceptions, 20 passes defensed and six fumble recoveries. During his senior year for the Cowboys, Barrett had 72 tackles (45 solo), five tackles for a loss, one sack, two interceptions and four passes defensed manning the strong safety position. He prepped at Carencro High School.

Hopoi (6-3, 273, Washington) joins the VooDoo after playing for the af2 Stockton Lighting in 2007. In his first year in the indoor game, he recorded 23 tackles (19 solo), three sacks, five tackles for a loss, four passes defensed and four fumble recoveries. In his first experience as a professional Hopoi went to training camp with the Minnesota Vikings in 2006. During his college career, Hopoi ranked third in Huskies all-time history with 49 tackles for a loss and fourth in program history with 25 sacks.

Lewis (6-2, 210, Southern) is a New Orleans native who was signed by the VooDoo after practicing on a two-day waiver at the start of training camp. Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Minnesota Vikings, he competed in 2002 camps with the Vikings and Houston Texans before spending the entire season on the Green Bay Packers practice squad. Lewis then went to training camp with Green Bay in 2003. He was a two-year letter winner at Southern from 2000-01 and finished his college career with 122 catches for 1,874 yards and 15 touchdowns. As a senior, Lewis led the Jaguars with 69 catches for 1,052 yards and eight touchdowns. Lewis prepped at John F. Kennedy High School in New Orleans from 1994-97.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom