Voter ID and the Democrats (1 Viewer)

Higher

Very Banned
Reaction score
Why is it we never hear about Republicans composing about voter ID. And let's not kid ourselves every state offers a free picture ID for all legal citizens so there is nothing discriminatory about this. You need an ID to cash a check or buy beer and even get into the capitals of most states but no one *****es about that. Could it be hat the democrats don't want voter ID laws because they are hoping for illegal votes to bolster their vote tallies? Please all you guys on the lef tell me it isn't so and the tooth fairy is real.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
The Constitution guarantees that every citizen is granted the right to vote. Analogies using examples like cashing checks, buying beer, etc are irrelevant as they are not constitutionally protected rights. We don't require photo ID to exercise free speech, free assembly, freedom of religion, or freedom to petition government for redress of grievances. We shouldn't require it for voting either.

It is an attempt to suppress votes of poor people who overwhelmingly vote Democrat. There is no evidence of voter fraud on a scale that would affect elections. There is plenty of evidence that this is the intent from direct quotes to lawmakers to the actions of lawmakers. For example, almost as soon as the SCOTUS repealed a portion of the Civil Rights Act, North Carolina legislators wrote bills that would have previously been not allowed by the portion of the Act that was invalidated.

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
I'll answer the OP's question with another question:

Why are GOP lawmakers working so damn hard to circumvent the 14th amendment?

I never want to hear another GOPer talk about upholding the constitution when they are constantly looking for ways to undermine it. It's disgusting, it's immoral, and it's anti-American.

OP
Higher

Higher

Very Banned
Reaction score

I never want to hear another GOPer talk about upholding the constitution when they are constantly looking for ways to undermine it. It's disgusting, it's immoral, and it's anti-American.
They aren't. They are saying that you must be a citizen to vote. That Is upholding the 14th. If you think non citizens should be allowed to vote them you have no understanding of the 14th.

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
And let's not kid ourselves
I like the way you say that and immediately go on to kid yourself.

every state offers a free picture ID for all legal citizens
Great, and as soon as they introduce free provision of copies of birth certificate/marriage license/other documentation, free transport, and compensation for time required to travel to get said ID, it'll actually be free and have less impact on the poorest. But meanwhile, here in reality, it does actually cost to get a 'free' photo ID, and that does result in discrimination against the poorest who are typically least able to meet that cost.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5474ec-20f0-11e6-8690-f14ca9de2972_story.html

saintsfan26

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
My question is, with no ID, what would stop a person from voting more than once?

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
My question is, with no ID, what would stop a person from voting more than once?
Well, there's voter registration, rosters at polling locations, and laws against voting more than once.

Which, when combined with the minimal effect voting more than once offers an individual, means the risk outweighs the reward. It doesn't make sense to do it. Heck, even without it being illegal, if everyone could do it, it would still be pointless (it'd essentially be the same result for more effort).

So, basically, I'd say 'reason' stops people from voting more than once without voter ID. You'd have to be pretty daft to try it (e.g.: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-supporter-charged-with-voting-twice-in-iowa/).

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Less than half of the adults in the US vote once. There's no significant "double voting" or all the ******** Republicans talk about. There have been many studies, many recounts, many observations, many evaluations, and there is not a single piece of evidence that suggests voter fraud ever rises to over a tenth of one percent in any district. It's possible once or twice that happened in history, but there's never been any evidence when anyone has looked for it that this has ever happened.

What has been proven is that voter ID laws disproportionately suppress turnout in minority and poor white urban communities. In fact, until those studies came out, the GOP had no interest in fighting "voter fraud", check your history if you don't believe me. The only reason the GOP champions voter fraud is they know it suppresses the votes of the poor, and thus disproportionately big city and minority voters who are make up a disproportionately large chunk of the poor.

farfromsilent

Rookie
Reaction score

I'm curious if you use this same logic when it comes to the second amendment. Since it is a constitutionally guaranteed right, by your logic, no one should have to present I.D. To buy a firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
Why is it we never hear about Republicans composing about voter ID. And let's not kid ourselves every state offers a free picture ID for all legal citizens so there is nothing discriminatory about this. You need an ID to cash a check or buy beer and even get into the capitals of most states but no one *****es about that. Could it be hat the democrats don't want voter ID laws because they are hoping for illegal votes to bolster their vote tallies? Please all you guys on the lef tell me it isn't so and the tooth fairy is real.
Louisiana Identification Card Fees. If you're under 60 years old, it will cost you: $21 for a new Louisiana ID.

Apply for a New Louisiana Identification Card | DMV.org

Whats free?

your entire argument just fell apart. Like ....literally ...fell apart.

and im kinda embarrassed for you that you couldnt even take 30 seconds to make SURE what you were about to say was remotely true here in La.

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's not true in a lot of states.

The practical outcome of voter id laws is that fewer poor people and minorities vote, which leans democratic. Republicans do better when fewer people vote, which is why you see Republican leaders supporting voter id laws.

There's an ugly history our country has when it comes to trying to keep people from voting -- poll taxes, Constitutional quizes, and so on. There's a strong connection from that legacy to voter id laws.

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
I'm curious if you use this same logic when it comes to the second amendment. Since it is a constitutionally guaranteed right, by your logic, no one should have to present I.D. To buy a firearm.

Sure, if you're in a well-regulated militia.

Seriously, there's no comparing the two, unless you've got some sort of convincing evidence to suggest that current gun control laws are oppressive to minorities.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Why is it we never hear about Republicans composing about voter ID.
I don't know what you mean by "composing" (maybe complaining?) but every time a new voter ID law is proposed it is proposed by Republicans so the reason it is an issue in the first place is because we almost exclusively hear about Republicans "composing" about it. It's kind of like when Republicans spend their time passing laws about bathrooms and are then "composing" about why everyone is so obsessed with bathrooms. :shrug:

farfromsilent

Rookie
Reaction score
Sure, if you're in a well-regulated militia.

Seriously, there's no comparing the two, unless you've got some sort of convincing evidence to suggest that current gun control laws are oppressive to minorities.

How is there no comparing the two? They are both constitutionally protected rights. The only right that people are okay with legislating against is the second amendment.

And while I don't have evidence supporting it, if you are arguing that requiring a form of I.D. In order to vote discriminates against the poor and minorities because they can't afford to get an I.D., then yes. You could easily argue the same for firearms.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score

Please provide the federal law that requires an ID to purchase a firearm. Then this becomes relevant.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom