Voting in AZ (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
My brother who lives in Phoenix waited in line for 3 hours yesterday just to vote, so I wanted to get this out there.

This is disgusting! To save money?! We are having 4 separate voting dates (for different bills) this year, but we are concerned about saving money?! Have the primaries and the general election. Have the other two bills voted on one of those two dates and save the money that way. Unless you are hiding things, perhaps.

There Were 5-Hour Lines to Vote in Arizona Because the Supreme Court Gutted the Voting Rights Act | The Nation

If you weren't in the door by 7pm you didn't vote. Good if you can take the day off to vote, bad if you have a job and get off at 5 or 6pm.

Be happy that this hasn't happened to us in Louisiana ...yet.

Mods, if you wish to move this to PDB feel free to, I just won't be participating in it there.

More states should switch to postal voting. It gives voters weeks to vote with no requirement beyond a trip to the mailbox or ballot drop box.

It sure seems like we could take advantage of technology and improve the voting process.

My brother who lives in Phoenix waited in line for 3 hours yesterday just to vote, so I wanted to get this out there.

There Were 5-Hour Lines to Vote in Arizona Because the Supreme Court Gutted the Voting Rights Act | The Nation

If you weren't in the door by 7pm you didn't vote. Good if you can take the day off to vote, bad if you have a job and get off at 5 or 6pm.

Be happy that this hasn't happened to us in Louisiana ...yet.

Mods, if you wish to move this to PDB feel free to, I just won't be participating in it there.

Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act was designed to allow federal mechanisms for monitoring minority access to voting in states with a problematic history in that area. The conservative Court found that we had come far enough in history that those unusual mechanisms (elections are considered state affairs - even elections to federal posts) were no longer needed.

From AZ yesterday:
This impacted voters across the county, but some more than others. There were predominantly Latino areas in Maricopa County with no polling places. “It is no coincidence many poor and predominantly Latino areas didn’t get a polling place,” wrote Arizona Republic columnist Elvia Diaz.

Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act was designed to allow federal mechanisms for monitoring minority access to voting in states with a problematic history in that area. The conservative Court found that we had come far enough in history that those unusual mechanisms (elections are considered state affairs - even elections to federal posts) were no longer needed.

From AZ yesterday:

GOP: "So, we can't take away the right to vote, but as with abortion, we can take away the place to do it.

Party of patriotism my ***.

GOP: "So, we can't take away the right to vote, but as with abortion, we can take away the place to do it.

Party of patriotism my ***.

Exactly. The sad thing is that unless a lawsuit is again forced through the courts or the minorities in Arizona come out in huge numbers to change the hard right conservative makeup of Arizona's election it will make no difference.

Let's see what happens next. Nothing brings people of different races and classes together than being jointly disenfranchised.

is it okay to call this "voter power"?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom