Voucher school textbook defines ‘hippies’..... (1 Viewer)

Devildog

Combobulated
Reaction score
...as followers of rock stars who may have worshipped Satan.

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Sideshow – 1 hr 34 mins ago

A school participating in Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal's controversial voucher program is apparently using a history book that teaches its eighth-grade students that "hippies" were dirty followers of Satan-worshipping rock musicians.
The textbook, “America: Land I Love," includes a section on the counterculture movement of the 1960s.
Here's a paragraph taken from that section, which was published Wednesday by AmericaBlog.com:
Many young people turned to drugs and immoral lifestyles; these youth became known as hippies. They went without bathing, wore dirty, ragged, unconventional clothing, and deliberately broke all codes of politeness or manners. Rock music played an important part in the hippie movement and had great influence over the hippies. Many of the rock musicians they followed belonged to Eastern religious cults or practiced Satan worship.
More here:
Voucher school textbook defines

Uhh, yeah.

Was that text book written by Eric Cartman?

TulsaSaint

Sem medo de ser feliz
Reaction score
The textbook is called "America: Land I Love" and is published by A Beka Books, the fundamentalist Christian textbook publisher run by the indisputably nutty (separate sidewalks for male and female student, for example) Pensacola Christian College. I was home schooled from 4th through 12th grade, and my mom used these history books. Even as a fundamentalist Christian teenager, they were over the top for me.

Land I Love presents the history of America from the 1490s to the present with special emphasis on the personalities and events that shaped the American character. A variety of illustrations, maps, and photographs invite students to explore the past as they read this fascinating narrative account of U.S. history. Through the story of America’s rise to greatness, students will learn to recognize the hand of God in history and to appreciate the influence of Christianity in government, economics, and society.

A Beka Book :: Book Information :: America: Land I Love

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
...as followers of rock stars who may have worshipped Satan.

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Sideshow – 1 hr 34 mins ago

More here:
Voucher school textbook defines

Uhh, yeah.

Was that text book written by Eric Cartman?

My mom was a hippy. She never worshipped anything except the sun. And, she never took drugs nor did she commit immoral acts. She may have dressed a little funny and listened to silly music, but that's no different than anything other kids do.

What is the world coming to?

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The textbook is called "America: Land I Love" and is published by A Beka Books, the fundamentalist Christian textbook publisher run by the indisputably nutty (separate sidewalks for male and female student, for example) Pensacola Christian College. I was home schooled from 4th through 12th grade, and my mom used these history books. Even as a fundamentalist Christian teenager, they were over the top for me.
Figures. That place is nuts. It's grown from a little school on the wrong side of the tracks to a major facility taking up hundreds of acres. Used to be the girls wore only long dresses and played no sports and the boys couldn't wear shorts.

I think they've changed some of that now, but it's still a strange deal.

Oddly enough it used to be common to pick up the drunken girls out at bars late at night.

OP
Devildog

Devildog

Combobulated
Reaction score
Seriously, how the hell does this happen in 2013? I know the education system in LA is in the gutter, but do we have to make the children dumber?

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, how the hell does this happen in 2013? I know the education system in LA is in the gutter, but do we have to make the children dumber?
Do you want to know the recipe for Republicans to win elections?

Homeschooling using books from A Beka.

Better yet, taking the tax money from the rest of us and allowing or even encouraging the fundies to spend it on hateful, lying nonsense like this.

If anything, the folks writing those books are detestable and hateful liars. The people teaching it are either willfully negligent or complicit. The folks buying it and promoting it on the tax dollar are criminals.

TulsaSaint

Sem medo de ser feliz
Reaction score

Better yet, taking the tax money from the rest of us and allowing or even encouraging the fundies to spend it on hateful, lying nonsense like this.

If anything, the folks writing those books are detestable and hateful liars. The people teaching it are either willfully negligent or complicit. The folks buying it and promoting it on the tax dollar are criminals.
It astounds me that these nuts complain about "leftist indoctrination" in public schools, yet their books are a much greater example of brainwashing than anything in public schools.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Well, thankfully, it's mostly a losing strategy these days. Terrible leadership. The sad thing is that the other side isn't much better. :covri:

FLIPPY

Angler of the Year
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My mom was a hippy. She never worshipped anything except the sun. And, she never took drugs nor did she commit immoral acts. She may have dressed a little funny and listened to silly music, but that's no different than anything other kids do.

What is the world coming to?
So your name is Dillon.... After Bob?

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It astounds me that these nuts complain about "leftist indoctrination" in public schools, yet their books are a much greater example of brainwashing than anything in public schools.
I know. It's the Rovian strategy of assigning your own faults to that of your enemy.

And, well, treat everyone who isn't in lockstep as the enemy.

FYI, for those who didn't know, the A Beka company - namesake woman just died - was one of the nation's largest tax cheats. They were pleading as if they were non-profits for years and were clearly not.

Tax cheaters teaching morality using lies.

Makes sense.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Besides, I can't imagine Lemmy was ever cogent enough to practice anything, much less something as complex as Satan worship.

Which blows their theory right there.

/science

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Seriously, the only real frustration is that any moderate/liberal/whatever is compelled to walk around denying the occasional inanities and foolishness of Al Sharpton, Sean Penn, Jane Fonda, moveon.org, etc., etc. In the meantime, you get scheiss like this textbook, plus birthers, Orly Taitz, the wacky theories of Pat Robertson, and from the right side of the table there is......

*crickets*

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My aunt was/is a hippie. Always had a job, never has had any other religion but Episcopal, great moral code, was fashionable in her youth with wearing what was in style, now more likely to find her in jeans and a Tshirt. Yeah she like a little weed on Friday night while drinking wine in her hot tub watching the sun go down but I have a hard time finding something wrong with that.

TulsaSaint

Sem medo de ser feliz
Reaction score
Here's some of the same textbook publisher's high school science books:

Biology: God's Living Creation. "Truly non-evolutionary in philosophy, spirit, and sequence of study. Begins with the familiar, tangible things of nature with special emphasis on the structure and function; and concludes with God’s amazing design at the cellular and chemical level.

Ties abstract concepts to concrete examples through clear, easy-to-read explanations. Lays a firm foundation for future studies in chemistry, physics, and other fields while teaching students the Christian perspective of science. With the academic knowledge gained in the text, students will also find a greater appreciation for God’s physical creation and an increased interest in science.

Chemistry: Precision and Design. "A Christian perspective helps students see chemistry as a beneficial science that can be used for man’s benefit and God’s glory. Environmental issues such as ozone depletion, global warming, and nuclear power are presented from a balanced, conservative perspective."

Physics: The Foundational Science: "Physics: The Foundational Science can play an important role in showing students the harmony between scientific knowledge and Christian belief. The text is firmly grounded on the view that we live in a God-created world governed by laws discoverable by reverent scientific inquiry. Issues of vital concern to Christians are handled in depth. Interspersed throughout the text are biographies of great physicists who were also Bible-believing Christians."

http://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/ProductSearch.aspx?grade=H4&subject=&title=&sbn=

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom