"WAAAAAALT!!!!" (The LOST Season 4 Thread) (1 Viewer)

What did Penelope's father do? Was he in Politics? I can't remember.

The show last night brought up an interesting point. One of the popups mentioned the dual nature of the characters and then made a point of saying that

Jack was leading his flock away from the beach.

-- Jack Shepard
-- On the island leads the folks, is confident and in control
-- Off the island is a total wreck constantly doing what he thinks he is supposed to (fix everyone) without understanding his motivation until that finally drives him over the edge.

-- John Locke
-- Off the island his father uses him as he searches for anything to justify his life. Doesn't seem to think about what is going on or what other peoples motivations are.
-- On the island helps people (Charley & Boone) to fight off addictions. Is able to walk and provide for the group. Is always a step or two ahead of everyone else except maybe Ben. He's thinking.

So if Socrates is right and the unexamined life isn't worth living and John keeps asking Jack why do you want off this island so bad, is Jack's failure to realize how good his life is on the island compared to off it the reason for his downward spiral and desire to return? And do we know John's reason for sabotaging all attempts to leave?

The show last night brought up an interesting point. One of the popups mentioned the dual nature of the characters and then made a point of saying that

Jack was leading his flock away from the beach.

-- Jack Shepard
-- On the island leads the folks, is confident and in control
-- Off the island is a total wreck constantly doing what he thinks he is supposed to (fix everyone) without understanding his motivation until that finally drives him over the edge.

-- John Locke
-- Off the island his father uses him as he searches for anything to justify his life. Doesn't seem to think about what is going on or what other peoples motivations are.
-- On the island helps people (Charley & Boone) to fight off addictions. Is able to walk and provide for the group. Is always a step or two ahead of everyone else except maybe Ben. He's thinking.

So if Socrates is right and the unexamined life isn't worth living and John keeps asking Jack why do you want off this island so bad, is Jack's failure to realize how good his life is on the island compared to off it the reason for his downward spiral and desire to return? And do we know John's reason for sabotaging all attempts to leave?

Expert analysis and the show has even begun yet :worthy:
Cant wait for the show tonight.

locke.jpg

:youpi-12: :shocked: :worthy:

I am sure John doens't want to leave because this is where he feels he belongs. He can walk there he is important there. He doesn't have to sell boxes and dream of adventure anymore he is living it.

Locke's theory of mind is often cited as the origin for modern conceptions of identity and "the self", figuring prominently in the later works of philosophers such as David Hume, Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Immanuel Kant. Locke was the first philosopher to define the self through a continuity of "consciousness." He also postulated that the mind was a "blank slate" or "tabula rasa"; that is, contrary to Cartesian or Christian philosophy, Locke maintained that people are born without innate ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Locke

I was so disappointed with last season. Watching these recap shows just points out how many things they've left unanswered and the realization is sinking in that it will be canceled before most of us are appeased. It really just seems like they're just throwing crap out now.

If I had a time machine I would go back to tell myself not to watch it...but I guess I'll have to keep watching now so that I didn't waste these past few years.

And now, an homage to my favorite character....Charlie. :loki5:

Oceanic 6? I guess only six make it off. So that's Jack, Kate, and Hurley....who are the other three that live....find out this and not much more in season 17.

I was so disappointed with last season. Watching these recap shows just points out how many things they've left unanswered and the realization is sinking in that it will be canceled before most of us are appeased. It really just seems like they're just throwing crap out now.

You're the only person I've ever heard who didn't love last season. The first 6 episodes of the season were weak, but the rest was so ridiculously strong that it made it the best season of the 3.

And the show isn't getting canceled before it ends. Its ABC's tentpole show.

This episode was awesome.

"Jack, with your permission I'd like to go with John"

Ben is my new second favorite character

A few quick thoughts:

"Are they still alive?" Who are "they"? Are there other survivors of Flight 815 besides the Oceanic 6, who are perhaps still on the island? Is he referring to The Others?

Best guess is that the phony Oceanic lawyer (a.k.a. Deputy Ops Daniels on "The Wire") really works for Dharma and/or the same people that the freighter folks work for.

Apparently, Locke's group is not the group to be in, based on Hurley's apology to Jack. It seemed like he regretted that decision.

The big question of the night, though, is Jack's dad Jacob? That's clearly who was in the rocking chair when Hurley looked through the window. The actor who plays Christian Shepard, John Terry, was listed in the opening credits, and I didn't see him anywhere else in this episode. That was definitely him in the chair. Does that make him Jacob? I don't know.

I don't know what to make of the fact that Hurley saw him, either. Did Locke? Were they talking? If so, about what?

Shouldn't Ben have shown some sort of surprise (and or fright) at the fact that Locke is up and moving after Ben shot him and left him for dead in that ditch?

I thought 'jacob' looked more like an older version of Richard tonight. The one that helped young Ben. Whomever played him, he looked different than the other night so maybe people see him differently.

Here's the thing I've noticed. Everyone suspects one of the people on the island is in the coffin. I don't see how this could be since there was NO ONE at the funeral. Jack has said several times during the flashforwards that the media was all over them and that he got asked for autographs when he goes out, I doubt one of the survivors could have died with NO ONE there from the media or a friend...etc.

I'm still disappointed. We got another five questions tonight without any answers. Throw me a bone.

And I know that in 4 episodes, at the end of the show we're going to hear, "Next January..."

And I know that in 4 episodes, at the end of the show we're going to hear, "Next January..."

There are seven episodes left after tonight, not four. There will potentially be four or five more depending upon whether the strike gets settled in the next few weeks (and it might).

Last edited:
Clearly Christian Shepard in the chair, and the eye looks to belong to Jacob.

Attachments

• mr_shephard2.jpg
    mr_shephard2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 110
  • jacob-4x01.gif
    jacob-4x01.gif
    108.9 KB · Views: 3

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom