Wade Phillips (1 Viewer)

whodat2020

Veteran
Reaction score
Given the firings, I shows me that Payten has an open mind. Would love Wade Phillips as our DC. Thoughts?

Nah, Dennis Allen will build on last year. We'll have a top 20 defense next year if not better.

Well Dennis Allen didn't get fired so I don't think that's likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the problem with bringing in a new DC all the time.

Systems aren't just about studying playbooks, but players you have that fit your system. I would rather keep DA, see what he can do with more players that are "his style" (especially given the improvements he made over last year's D) than risk it on a "what if" with Wade.

I like Wade, I just don't think we should punish DA for improving the defense.

All good points. I like DA as well. Just puttin it out there

Wade imo would make us Super Bowl contenders. He would by far be the most proven experienced coordinator Payton has ever had and yes that would include GW who up until this time has been the undisputed king without a close second or even any competition to mention.

The problem is Wade is one big fish to real in. Would he want to be here in New Orleans? Is he on our radar? DA is still here..Lot of variables involved obviously but fun to speculate for now

I wrote last year that with the hiring of Allen, finally had someone he can fully trust to lead the defense. That is the biggest asset. What happened today makes me think that Payton is giving full control to his defensive coordinator. I am expecting to go young, but also to bring people that will trusted fully by Allen.

I checked and his contract is actually up in Denver.

They'd be dumb not to bring him back, but if they don't, I still don't think we are players. Talk of Washington making a run at him and I think it's clear that Allen is staying another season with us.

What has Allen really done? Improving from 31 to 27 is not a great feat and the defense looked lost against Atlanta. We finished 31st in scoring defense. He did have a lot of injuries to deal with, but if Phillips were available, I think it is a no-brainer.

Here's the problem with bringing in a new DC all the time.

Systems aren't just about studying playbooks, but players you have that fit your system. I would rather keep DA, see what he can do with more players that are "his style" (especially given the improvements he made over last year's D) than risk it on a "what if" with Wade.

I like Wade, I just don't think we should punish DA for improving the defense.

You have a point there. It'll be a risk, but given Wade's track record, it'll be a good one. Personally, I like Wade because he's proven and his style of defense is better.

Allen has improved the defense compared to what it was in 2015. I wouldn't feel terribly bad about giving him another shot, but if you have someone like Wade out there, it automatically increases your chance of becoming a winner.

The moves made today has already restored hope for some people. If Wade was brought it, it'll immediately restore the optimism that was here when we first hired Greg Williams.

What has Allen really done? Improving from 31 to 27 is not a great feat and the defense looked lost against Atlanta. We finished 31st in scoring defense. He did have a lot of injuries to deal with, but if Phillips were available, I think it is a no-brainer.

Dennis Allen is not a slouch DC. He won a HC gig based on his performance in Denver. He's had his hands full with this defense, not only talent/injury wise, but due to the culture Rob Ryan left behind. He's made improvements in both the personnel and the culture in year 1. He doesn't deserve to be dropped after improving.

Elway is silly if he doesn't back a money truck up to Wade's house.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

We would have to have no brains to change DC again. Phillips runs a 3-4 2 gap. We do not have the personnel for his type defense. It would be trying to fit square pegs in a round hole. It would take us a few years to draft and sign the right personnel. We just cleaned out some of our defensive coaches. Let DA get his own people in place and see what he can do. I believe our defense will improve even more next season.

I would love Gus Bradley as well. I think we have the personnel for what he would like to run. We can add those last few pieces in FA and the draft to fiit what he wants to do. Obviously Wade Phillips would be a home run but I don't see anyway Elway let's him go. He's going to bring in an offensive minded coach who IMO is Kyle Shanahan and keep that D intact. He wants to win SBs and best way to do that is keep his SB DC. I'm all for keeping DA though who I believe is coming into his own. Has learned under a lot of good DCs and seems to me has what it takes to be a great DC. We need to give him the talent so there is no excuses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom