Wait, whaat? NFL teams banned from giffing their own plays (1 Viewer)

Over/under: 5.5 years until the NBA overtakes the NFL in ratings.

Who's taking the bet?

With immigration and resulting demographic shifts it could be a squeeze between Soccer, NBA and baseball that gets the NFL. Even at its peak the NFL was 2nd place in a lot of regions to college football and College once again strong in relative appeal (and in what it costs to support).

stupid.jpg

58542527.jpg

No Saints game today... :hihi:

Maybe its time to try the XFL again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, you may be on to something here. I'm not saying Vince McMahon and the XFL, but another league, like the AFL and USFL. When the USFL and XFL tried to compete, the NFL was a great product with Roselle and Tagliabue, so there wasn't much of a reason to switch. However, I think that if the players had a legitimate competitor to Goodell's NFL, that would, at a minimum, get the NFL owners to change their commissioner.

You know, you may be on to something here. I'm not saying Vince McMahon and the XFL, but another league, like the AFL and USFL. When the USFL and XFL tried to compete, the NFL was a great product with Roselle and Tagliabue, so there wasn't much of a reason to switch. However, I think that if the players had a legitimate competitor to Goodell's NFL, that would, at a minimum, get the NFL owners to change their commissioner.

If they would go back to pre-1990 NFL rules, I would follow it.

Sorry! I didn't mean to red thumb you. The red thumb was intended for the NFL, which is like most other entities in corporate America in that all that matters is the bottom line. There is no consideration for anything but money. If the NFL can't make money on it, then no one else is going to either. The NFL believes it owns the rights to all levels of marketing, and hence all levels of revenue.
<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

ya cut me deep, stmdterps! :hihi:

The NFL clearly doesn't understand the marketing power of social media. They're completely out of touch with modern trends.

Exactly. The NFL sees 'going viral' as a copyright violation versus free publicity. #cantFixStupid #armyOfLawyers #litigateDontInnovate :hihi:

...I've been drinking...:ezbill:

Over/under: 5.5 years until the NBA overtakes the NFL in ratings.

Who's taking the bet?

NBA ratings were down in some respects last year. I keep seeing people anecdotally talking about this surge in the popularity of basketball but there's not much numerical data to back it up. Cable ratings for basketball have been in pretty regular decline for the past several years with the occasional peak among the valleys. This article from last year outlines a bunch of it, especially as it relates to cable ratings:

Whats Wrong With the NBA's TV Ratings?

Finals ratings were up big time (still just averaging an 11 share, though. Compare that to a 40+ share for the Super Bowl) and network broadcasts were generally higher, but it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows.

And anyway, for a lot of people football is the only sport they watch. When they walk away, they probably won't move onto anything else. I'm in that camp. Couldn't care less about basketball, baseball, etc. My reduction in interest in the NFL (which has been increasing every year) is being replaced with other hobbies/uses of time, not sports.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom