Wait, whaat? NFL teams banned from giffing their own plays (1 Viewer)

All of media is in a huge transition right now. And for the content creators, there is a very fine line they're trying to walk. The consumer is moving away from sitting in front of a TV with a cable or satellite bundle that includes the traditional broadcast networks. Streaming, mobile, etc. are clearly the future . . . but those networks still have the lion's share of the viewers and still pay huge amounts for the content. But when that pay that kind of money, they want exclusivity. They aren't going to pay for something only to have the consumer get the same thing from somewhere else.

So if you're a content creator like the NFL, you have to try to manage delivery so that your content is available on the new platforms but in a way that doesn't kill your golden goose. Social media is a big problem in this context because video is so easily available now. The NFL is dabbling with broadcasting on Twitter but it's only doing it with Thursday Night because that's the one game that the NFL has the most direct control over and has not sold away to the networks in the same way that it has the other games.

But the bottom line is that the networks pay over $3 BILLION a year to the NFL to get those broadcast rights (and by the way, each team gets more than $200 million a year from that pool). For a huge amount of money, the NFL has sold them those rights and the NFL has to be careful to protect what it has sold. If it doesn't, those buyers aren't going to be as willing when the next contract is up.

This whole thing the OP posted is only applicable during games. The NFL just doesn't want other sources of game video popping up during the game (and it's possible that the networks were the ones to complain about it).

Well played crapolina, well played...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">AndersonToBenjamin.gif<br><br>17 yard gain! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KeepPounding?src=hash">#KeepPounding</a></p>&mdash; Carolina Panthers (@Panthers) <a href="https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/785651171172110336">October 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cause you know college football has nothing to do with money and power.

I agree.. but at least not on the field. At least not legally... high school ball is probably the purest form of football, but college is pretty close. Isnt it funny how college refs always seem to get the call right? They are way more consistent anyway..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.. but at least not on the field. At least not legally... high school ball is probably the purest form of football, but college is pretty close. Isnt it funny how college refs always seem to get the call right? They are way more consistent anyway..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about that. I can't recall the last time I witnessed Alabama get called for holding.

Wow !!! Getting just unbearable. I can see these top tier athletes coming up watching this stuff from the NFL and totally change direction to another sport. Baseball or the NBA.....I wouldn't blame them either.

And from a viewers perspective, just watch college ball and wish the players a rich and rewarding future in a watered-down product.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom