Waitress fired for posting "God Tip" (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if she should have been fired or not, but to the pastor, "Really? Have you never eaten at a restaurant before?" How often and how many years has the pastor done this? And the bill was only $35.00!
=============================================================

An Applebee's waitress who posted a receipt with a note from a pastor complaining about the automatic gratuity added to the bill on the Internet was fired on Wednesday after the pastor complained to her manager.

Chelsea Welch, the waitress, wrote in an email to Yahoo News that the pastor (who has since been identified as Alois Bell) told Welch's manager at the St. Louis-area Applebee's that the ensuing firestorm had "ruined" her reputation.

"I give God 10%," Bell wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip and scribbling in an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be. "Why do you get 18?" (There were more than eight people in Bell's party, triggering the auto-tip.)......................

Applebee

Attachments

• receipt-pastor-lg.jpg
    receipt-pastor-lg.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 452
Weird. Automatic tips are bs tho... Unless its a big party but 8 people 35 bucks... Not possible that 8 people actually ate.

I hate people like this pastor. No since of responsibility. Waitress took care of her table and due to the size worked less tables. Do to working less tables the waitress makes less money then the good pastor stiffs her. I bet she preaches alot for people to give more to the church.

If you can't afford to tip you can't affort to eat out. Don't use an imaginary man in the sky as an excuse to be cheap.

I certainly don't agree with the pastors tactics. However, I also hate forced gratuity. I always tip, but as a patron, I should reserve the right to decide how much I believe my waiter/waitress gets tipped.

I've worked in the restaurant business before. I understand there are people who under tip or don't believe in tipping. But there are way more people that tip and tip generously.

Again, I understand this pastors point, but his tactics are completely wrong.

A few things. The tip was already charged. The pastor wrote a note to the waiter. Another waiter LOL'd at the note and snapped a photo and posted it on the internet. Waiter gets fired. Pastor apologized and wished she (an African American woman, not that it matters) never wrote it in the first place.

Take aways: Don't write stupid notes on receipts, there are better ways to make your opinion known and your reputation doesn't get ruined. Employees snapping pictures of receipts (note or no note) and posting them on the internet is a bad idea. The pastor doesn't speak or represent most reasonable thinking pastors like myself. And regardless, we're human and make mistakes from time to time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom