Waitress fired for posting "God Tip" (1 Viewer)

the auto gratuity policy - isn't it posted in the menu, you know that thing one reads before committing to purchase food and beverages? Of course, ordering, eating, and then complaining about it after the fact is great, too.

Pastor apologized and wished she (an African American woman, not that it matters) never wrote it in the first place.

I am not sure if we are talking about the same apology or not... but:

My heart is really broken. I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.... [it was] blown out of proportion.
sounds more like "I'm sorry I got caught and it really isn't a big deal" instead of "I'm sorry I was such a callous, self-righteous, miserable excuse for a pastor and I will endeavor to be a better human being in the future and a better example for the people I claim I lead spiritually." So I think you got the "wishes she never wrote it" part right, but the "apologized" is less accurate.

And her actions - calling for the entire staff to be fired also seems to be awfully tough to reconcile with any sincerity in that apology.

Sorry - not buying the apology. I don't think it's really a big deal. But she chose to use a public way to preach her sanctimony in a pretty ridiculous way. She might not have imagined it would ever happen - and in her party of 20, I can only imagine how she chuckled and shared her clever religiosity with her dining friends, thinking it would go no further - but she did it.

Take responsibility. I think that's her only hope of salvaging anything from this.

To me, it doesn't sound like she is. First she lashes out at the establishment, calling for indiscriminate employee carpet bombing via dismissal and then says she's upset she got embarrassed.

sounds more like "I'm sorry I got caught and it really isn't a big deal" instead of "I'm sorry I was such a callous, self-righteous, miserable excuse for a pastor and I will endeavor to be a better human being in the future and a better example for the people I claim I lead spiritually." So I think you got the "wishes she never wrote it" part right, but the "apologized" is less accurate.

And her actions - calling for the entire staff to be fired also seems to be awfully tough to reconcile with any sincerity in that apology.

Sorry - not buying the apology. I don't think it's really a big deal. But she chose to use a public way to preach her sanctimony in a pretty ridiculous way. She might not have imagined it would ever happen - and in her party of 20, I can only imagine how she chuckled and shared her clever religiosity with her dining friends, thinking it would go no further - but she did it.

Take responsibility. I think that's her only hope of salvaging anything from this.

To me, it doesn't sound like she is. First she lashes out at the establishment, calling for indiscriminate employee carpet bombing via dismissal and then says she's upset she got embarrassed.

Is that the entire apology? Or is that just a snipped taken out of context?

I saw an interview with her and her words were among others, "I'm sorry I wrote the note. I wish had not done that." She looked really embarrassed.

I didn't see where she called for anyone to get fired, unless that was during some other time. She never mentioned that in the interview.

Regardless, I'm not defending her. She made a dumb decision and that doesn't reflect well on pastors in general.

She is exactly the type of "religious leader" Jesus himself warned about in the parable of the good Samaritan.

This was reported in Gawker:

After the receipt went viral, Pastor Alois Bell, of the St. Louis-based Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries, reportedly called up the Applebee’s and demanded that everyone involved — from servers to the managers –be fired, reports Gawker. While the entire staff wasn’t fired en masse, the waitress who posted the receipt to Reddit was canned.
that's what I was basing my comment on

I saw an interview with her and her words were among others, "I'm sorry I wrote the note. I wish had not done that."

And, for me, this is no different than what I wrote above - she's sorry that she wrote the note and got caught. It sounds like regret from the unexpected notoriety.

Personally, I'm not big on apologies - I think they are less useful as words than action. I mean, apologies are nice and they should be sincere when issued (I've apologized for plenty). But actions - doing things to show contrition or seeking reconciliation - mean more to me, personally.

She has had - and still has - opportunities to be an example of contrition and forgiveness. If she wants to be 'forgiven' then I think there are things she could do to be an example of tolerance and forgiveness herself. If she's sorry - beyond the embarrassment and getting caught - then I'm just unconvinced. What she's done - or not done - says more to me than a half-hearted apology.

First she lashes out at the establishment, calling for indiscriminate employee carpet bombing via dismissal...

Where did you see this? I'd like to see that interview. The one I saw made no mention of this.

I wonder if she would willingly accept more than 10% of a person's income in her collection basket?

Personally, I'm not big on apologies - I think they are less useful as words than action. I mean, apologies are nice and they should be sincere when issued (I've apologized for plenty). But actions - doing things to show contrition or seeking reconciliation - mean more to me, personally.

I get that and agree with you. I'm just wondering what she can say beyond "I'm sorry. The waiter shouldn't have been fired because of a mistake I made." They're still words. I'm just trying to picture what would be the action she could take that would be meaningful reconciliation.

Where did you see this? I'd like to see that interview. The one I saw made no mention of this.

I mentioned it above - it was posted in an article at Gawker.

Here's their article: Pastor Who Left Sanctimonious Tip Gets Waitress Fired from Applebee's, Claims Her Reputation Was Ruined

After a copy of her Applebee's receipt began circulating online yesterday, Pastor Alois Bell of the St. Louis-based Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries phoned up the restaurant and asked to have everyone involved fired.

I don't know who the source is, but I imagine it was someone from the restaurant management reporting what happened after the photo's release on reddit and she was identified and proceeded to call the restaurant.

its not like its a surprise when you get your bill.. its clearly written in the menu.. a lot of times on the cover..

Sent from my Samsung Infuse using Tapatalk 2
Who Dat!

I get that and agree with you. I'm just wondering what she can say beyond "I'm sorry. The waiter shouldn't have been fired because of a mistake I made." They're still words. I'm just trying to picture what would be the action she could take that would be meaningful reconciliation.

Did she say that the waitress shouldn't have been fired for a mistake she made? I hadn't read that. I think that is definitely a step in the right direction compared to the other statements I've read. Maybe you've been following this closer than I have -

I think she can explicitly say that she's sorry for what she did, rather than these sort of equivocating apologies that have only appeared after she got caught. Not only make mention about embarrassing herself or her church.

I think she can use this as a teachable moment about forgiveness and talk about how her initial anger shouldn't only have been directed at the waitress (and an entire staff who might not even have known about this or been involved at all) but should also address how her actions might be antithetical to her beliefs and her role as congregation leader.

I think she can make a donation - in the Church's name - to an Applebee's charity or other local charity to demonstrate that forgiveness. Or make a suggestion to partner with Applebees to provide food for some needy families or homeless people.

I just think there are things she can do that would benefit her, the church, the community, and the waitstaff/management.

Maybe she's doing some of that - just saying that what I've read. Like I said, maybe you've read more about this than I have.

I mentioned it above - it was posted in an article at Gawker.

Here's their article: Pastor Who Left Sanctimonious Tip Gets Waitress Fired from Applebee's, Claims Her Reputation Was Ruined

I don't know who the source is, but I imagine it was someone from the restaurant management reporting what happened after the photo's release on reddit and she was identified and proceeded to call the restaurant.

FWIW, if she actually called for the staff to be fired, then she deserves every bit of criticism she gets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom