Wal-Mart to officially discontinue HD DVD sales by June (1 Viewer)

no, i'm just completely numb to consumer ignorance and willing ness to accept dictates by Sony and movie studio exectives.

Apparently people aren't confused as to getting television programs, they can go with cable, Direct TV, DishNetwork or a antenna.

Apparently people aren't confused about video game formats as as we have had no less than 3 for over 10 years.

Apparently people aren't confused about buying hd television sets as you can get plasma, LCD, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

But apparently, all you people are so stupid, that you are just so easily confused by 2 disc formats, excuse me, 3 disc formats, that you can't decide for yourself what to get. No, you don't apparently have the intelligence level to choose the same move in either BluRay or HD DVD, your only smart enough to choose between BluRay and DVD.

i wonder how many people tonight will starve because they are too confused to choose between a cheese burger from McDonalds or Burger King.

The lack of consumer choice is greated with thunderous applause...rejoice.

I, for one, would love to have 17 different HD players in my living room....

seriously, dude, you care too much about this

coming from a guy who buys M$ products :jpshakehead:

no, i'm just completely numb to consumer ignorance and willing ness to accept dictates by Sony and movie studio executives.

Apparently people aren't confused as to getting television programs, they can go with cable, Direct TV, DishNetwork or a antenna.

Apparently people aren't confused about video game formats as as we have had no less than 3 for over 10 years.

Apparently people aren't confused about buying hd television sets as you can get plasma, LCD, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

But apparently, all you people are so stupid, that you are just so easily confused by 2 disc formats, excuse me, 3 disc formats, that you can't decide for yourself what to get. No, you don't apparently have the intelligence level to choose the same move in either BluRay or HD DVD, your only smart enough to choose between BluRay and DVD.

i wonder how many people tonight will starve because they are too confused to choose between a cheese burger from McDonalds or Burger King.

The lack of consumer choice is greated with thunderous applause...rejoice.

I give that rant an 8. You lost points for too little sarcasm. I also docked your spelling error at the end. Overall, great work.

Sony bought there way into this deal..too bad the right decision for them ($$$) wound up giving consumers less choice in the end. There is now no real incentive for Sony to drop prices on the stand-alone BR players, the will milk it for all it's worth.

:17:

and do yourself a favor, if you are going to go blu-ray, just buy a ps3, it comes with a great gaming system:9:

I'm sure that's what I'll end up doing in the future.

I still buy regular DVD's too and my PS3 upconverts them and it's looks damn good.

Sony bought there way into this deal..too bad the right decision for them ($$$) wound up giving consumers less choice in the end. There is now no real incentive for Sony to drop prices on the stand-alone BR players, the will milk it for all it's worth.

Where are you getting this from? Microsoft gave out checks to the studios to keep them with HD-DVD but still lost the battle. That has been written about.

Maybe, I missed the Sony stories. Links, man, links.

Not true.
People were predicting the format war would be over real quick because movie studios, execs, etc. know that the real competition is going to come from downloadable content. If Sony wants to remain a player with BluRay then they better get cost competitive soon.

Is there really a noticeable difference when upconverting dvd?

Yeah, there really is. The upconverter I bought was more expensive than most, it's got a DCDI Faroudja chipset in it (I won't get into it, but the chipset won a technical Emmy award). I'm upconverting to 720p on a 92" DLP projection screen, and it looks sweet. It is NOT NEARLY as good as HD though, not as crisp and clear. Upconversion just does a lot of line interpolation, dithering, and smoothing, which is pretty cool technology considering its all happening at 30 frames per second.

Last edited:
Is there really a noticeable difference when upconverting dvd?

obviously, you aren't going to get HD quality, but for most standard format movies i have watched on my ps3 look noticeably better

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom