TV WandaVision (2 Viewers)

Jac Schaeffer, showrunner of Wandavision, did a post-finale interview in which she revealed she had no idea who Mephisto was, doesn't really like comic books, the Quicksilver thing was always a gag with no other purpose than to screw with fans, and that the engineer reference was never supposed to be a major reveal.

I think the lesson here is fans need to pump the breaks on all the speculation, as it often leads to thinking about things in substantially more depth than the creators themselves.

Falcon and Winter Soldier's showrunner called it the "anti-Wandavision" as far as this kind of thing goes. Should be more straightforward.

Jac Schaeffer, showrunner of Wandavision, did a post-finale interview in which she revealed she had no idea who Mephisto was, doesn't really like comic books, the Quicksilver thing was always a gag with no other purpose than to screw with fans, and that the engineer reference was never supposed to be a major reveal.

I think the lesson here is fans need to pump the breaks on all the speculation, as it often leads to thinking about things in substantially more depth than the creators themselves.

Falcon and Winter Soldier's showrunner called it the "anti-Wandavision" as far as this kind of thing goes. Should be more straightforward.

I could've sworn that I read an article that said that we need to pay attention to every little detail in Wandavision. If that's true then they caused all of this. If that article doesn't exist and I was wrong, well then what you're saying is true. Actually what you're saying is probably true even if that article exists.

I could've sworn that I read an article that said that we need to pay attention to every little detail in Wandavision. If that's true then they caused all of this. If that article doesn't exist and I was wrong, well then what you're saying is true. Actually what you're saying is probably true even if that article exists.

I do think one of the major issues with the out of control speculation was stuff coming from those involved. Whethdr it was Bettany's trolling about an actor he'd ways wanted to work with, Elizabeth Olsen getting misquoted about a "Luke Skywalker" level cameo, or Teyonnah Paris giving an interview where she talked about wanting to see people's reactions with the engineer, there was a lot of gasoline thst got tossed on the fires of speculation that created a perfect storm of mysteries that never really existed.

I ultimately enjoyed the show and am satisfied with the ending but this one will go down as a curious example of several factors creating reveal expectations that maybe should have never existed. In retrospect, despite all the trappings of mystery, the show was pretty direct in what it was doing.

I'm not buying the "don't know who Mephisto is" line.

As for Evan Peters being nothing more than a gag to screw with fans, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in being extremely salty on that. I'm still holding to the position that it is a COLLOSALL blunder they'd better fix or realize they're in danger of losing fans.
They need to not act like the NFL , deciding they're bulletproof because of their current popularity. Trolling fans is a good way to drive them away.

As for Evan Peters being nothing more than a gag to screw with fans, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in being extremely salty on that. I'm still holding to the position that it is a COLLOSALL blunder they'd better fix or realize they're in danger of losing fans.
They need to not act like the NFL , deciding they're bulletproof because of their current popularity. Trolling fans is a good way to drive them away.
Agree overall but I do have thoughts on your last sentence
I think I’m seeing more and more shows using stuff like this ‘light trolling’ to gin up controversy- give fans something to argue back and forth about
easy way to keep people invested in the show
But sure, that probably has a limited shelf life

I think she was being honest. She made it clear she isn't a comic person. Even said Feige gave her a stack to read but she never made it through them because she "doesn't like the medium." It wasn't a "I have no idea who Mephisto is" with a wink, but more like "I was not actually aware of that character until after production wrapped."

Admittedly that still seems strange as even a skim of a wiki article on Billy and Tommy is going to mention Mephisto numerous times. But it seemed like a very face value interview.

Agree overall but I do have thoughts on your last sentence
I think I’m seeing more and more shows using stuff like this ‘light trolling’ to gin up controversy- give fans something to argue back and forth about
easy way to keep people invested in the show
But sure, that probably has a limited shelf life

This is definetly a thing, but it's only a matter of time until someone creates a major fan backlash by doing it. We haven't seen a total revolt yet but someone will push it too far.

How many fans did they lose when they trolled us with Trevor in Iron Man 3?

I think she was being honest. She made it clear she isn't a comic person. Even said Feige gave her a stack to read but she never made it through them because she "doesn't like the medium." It wasn't a "I have no idea who Mephisto is" with a wink, but more like "I was not actually aware of that character until after production wrapped."

Admittedly that still seems strange as even a skim of a wiki article on Billy and Tommy is going to mention Mephisto numerous times. But it seemed like a very face value interview.

This is definetly a thing, but it's only a matter of time until someone creates a major fan backlash by doing it. We haven't seen a total revolt yet but someone will push it too far.

1615990488110.png

I thought that I saw something that wasn't really there and now I'm angry at other people.

Here's the question, though: how much were people really just making up in their own heads?

On some of this stuff (the engineer) there was nothing there. People en masse decided Reed Richards was going to show up and it was silly. I said as much at the time. They haven't even started writing the movie and have no cast (the presumed Krasinski hiring seems to be getting creakier with new rumors about casting saying they're still casting all roles). But even then you have the Teyonnah Paris interview where she makes it sound like it will be a reveal.

And the production now admits the Evan Peters casting was intentional trolling. They were actively screwing with people. And that seems yo be the source of most of the displeasure with people. Understandably.

And Mephisto wasn't pulled out of thin air. That character plays a crucial role in the creation of Billy and Tommy in the original source material and there were numerous references to some demonic force in the show. Whether Jac Schaeffer knew the character or not, those references and previous connection still exist. People weren't making it up.

The more I think about it, and I've been guilty of saying this too, but almost none of this "wasn't there" in the sense that people just made it up out of nothing.

People went wild with the engineer stuff, and one of the actors said "I can't wait for you to find out who it is." They also went wild looking for an actor Paul Bettany hyped up. They went wild looking for a Luke Skywalker level cameo they were told Elizabeth Olsen promised. They spent time trying to connect dots between Evan Peters Quicksilver and the multiverse. They kept looking for Mephisto knowing that character was crucial to the source material and that the show was frequently dropping hints about devils and demons.

Were there any real payoffs to any of these mysteries? No. But the mysteries actually weren't created in a fit of collective madness of the audience, either.

Olsen never promised a Skywalker level cameo. It was made up by people who want there to be more than what there is. When asked about casting, she said that she was really excited for a surprise to come. That was before Evan Peters had appeared on the show.

People were claiming that a brief glance of a stained glass window that looked like it had the image of a demon in it from a different show was evidence that Mephisto would be in WandaVision.

That's the problem with comic book material and scifi. The fanboys go nuts are unhappy regardless of how good the product is. You can't make them happy. There's no point in trying.

Here's the question, though: how much were people really just making up in their own heads?

On some of this stuff (the engineer) there was nothing there. People en masse decided Reed Richards was going to show up and it was silly. I said as much at the time. They haven't even started writing the movie and have no cast (the presumed Krasinski hiring seems to be getting creakier with new rumors about casting saying they're still casting all roles). But even then you have the Teyonnah Paris interview where she makes it sound like it will be a reveal.

And the production now admits the Evan Peters casting was intentional trolling. They were actively screwing with people. And that seems yo be the source of most of the displeasure with people. Understandably.

And Mephisto wasn't pulled out of thin air. That character plays a crucial role in the creation of Billy and Tommy in the original source material and there were numerous references to some demonic force in the show. Whether Jac Schaeffer knew the character or not, those references and previous connection still exist. People weren't making it up.

The more I think about it, and I've been guilty of saying this too, but almost none of this "wasn't there" in the sense that people just made it up out of nothing.

People went wild with the engineer stuff, and one of the actors said "I can't wait for you to find out who it is." They also went wild looking for an actor Paul Bettany hyped up. They went wild looking for a Luke Skywalker level cameo they were told Elizabeth Olsen promised. They spent time trying to connect dots between Evan Peters Quicksilver and the multiverse. They kept looking for Mephisto knowing that character was crucial to the source material and that the show was frequently dropping hints about devils and demons.

Were there any real payoffs to any of these mysteries? No. But the mysteries actually weren't created in a fit of collective madness of the audience, either.
First of all, let me say I enjoyed the series very much. I don't base my enjoyment on whether or not my theories were played out.

However, there is no question they put out hints to things, either to straight up troll, or to pay off way down the line. You keep saying there was nothing to the engineer thing, but there are so many other ways to move the same plot without some vague reference to the character. Then the design of the rover and Monica's costume? Come on. None of this could possibly be a random coincidence. They tell a story where Wanda has twins named Billy and Tommy and yet act all innocent that people would connect dots to Mephisto?

A lot of this was deliberate. Whether they just wanted to mess with people, give a couple of Easter Eggs only comic fans would pick up on, or put something out there to build on later, those things were put there and fans aren't crazy for picking up on them. And, yes, cast and crew fanned all those flames and I don't blame them.

How many fans did they lose when they trolled us with Trevor in Iron Man 3?

Except Guy Pearce turned out to be The Mandarin, so we had him the whole time. I didn't mind the Trevor bit, but then I never thought the old Mandarin was much of a villain in the comics. When he became young, he got more dangerous, so the whole thing worked for me.

And while there was some griping, I don't think all that many people really upset over that. It seems to me there's been a lot more backlash over Quicksilver.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom