TV WandaVision (2 Viewers)

First of all, let me say I enjoyed the series very much. I don't base my enjoyment on whether or not my theories were played out.

However, there is no question they put out hints to things, either to straight up troll, or to pay off way down the line. You keep saying there was nothing to the engineer thing, but there are so many other ways to move the same plot without some vague reference to the character. Then the design of the rover and Monica's costume? Come on. None of this could possibly be a random coincidence. They tell a story where Wanda has twins named Billy and Tommy and yet act all innocent that people would connect dots to Mephisto?

A lot of this was deliberate. Whether they just wanted to mess with people, give a couple of Easter Eggs only comic fans would pick up on, or put something out there to build on later, those things were put there and fans aren't crazy for picking up on them. And, yes, cast and crew fanned all those flames and I don't blame them.

I think some of both can be true. Although I tend to think some of it was open ended enough that the things people are griping about will get some resolution in future shows or movies.

But really, none of it really bothers me much. I really enjoyed the show and looking forward to the next one.

Except Guy Pearce turned out to be The Mandarin, so we had him the whole time. I didn't mind the Trevor bit, but then I never thought the old Mandarin was much of a villain in the comics. When he became young, he got more dangerous, so the whole thing worked for me.

And while there was some griping, I don't think all that many people really upset over that. It seems to me there's been a lot more backlash over Quicksilver.

The problem was that they built up the Mandarin to where he was an excellent villain and they threw that away just to troll us. There's a reason why they filmed that one shot with Trevor in jail teasing him meeting the real Mandarin. I don't really care about the Quicksilver issue so it doesn't bother me.

I think she was being honest. She made it clear she isn't a comic person. Even said Feige gave her a stack to read but she never made it through them because she "doesn't like the medium." It wasn't a "I have no idea who Mephisto is" with a wink, but more like "I was not actually aware of that character until after production wrapped."

Admittedly that still seems strange as even a skim of a wiki article on Billy and Tommy is going to mention Mephisto numerous times. But it seemed like a very face value interview.

This is definetly a thing, but it's only a matter of time until someone creates a major fan backlash by doing it. We haven't seen a total revolt yet but someone will push it too far.
For someone who pulled off a very good show, and clearly has talent, or hires talented people... that whole "didn't read the comics" comes off as very lazy and odd.

No wonder Feige doesn't like the TV folks..

Here's the question, though: how much were people really just making up in their own heads?

On some of this stuff (the engineer) there was nothing there. People en masse decided Reed Richards was going to show up and it was silly. I said as much at the time. They haven't even started writing the movie and have no cast (the presumed Krasinski hiring seems to be getting creakier with new rumors about casting saying they're still casting all roles). But even then you have the Teyonnah Paris interview where she makes it sound like it will be a reveal.

And the production now admits the Evan Peters casting was intentional trolling. They were actively screwing with people. And that seems yo be the source of most of the displeasure with people. Understandably.

And Mephisto wasn't pulled out of thin air. That character plays a crucial role in the creation of Billy and Tommy in the original source material and there were numerous references to some demonic force in the show. Whether Jac Schaeffer knew the character or not, those references and previous connection still exist. People weren't making it up.

The more I think about it, and I've been guilty of saying this too, but almost none of this "wasn't there" in the sense that people just made it up out of nothing.

People went wild with the engineer stuff, and one of the actors said "I can't wait for you to find out who it is." They also went wild looking for an actor Paul Bettany hyped up. They went wild looking for a Luke Skywalker level cameo they were told Elizabeth Olsen promised. They spent time trying to connect dots between Evan Peters Quicksilver and the multiverse. They kept looking for Mephisto knowing that character was crucial to the source material and that the show was frequently dropping hints about devils and demons.

Were there any real payoffs to any of these mysteries? No. But the mysteries actually weren't created in a fit of collective madness of the audience, either.
I think we should make a distinction between plot/myth speculation and Meta/casting, cultural commentary, wider MCU or genre speculation
Most of the trolling happened at the Meta level and that’s all fun and games

but then on the plot/myth level, it’s tricky to distinguish foreshadowing from red herrings from homages ‘just cool set dressing ****’, et al
I don’t think fans can blamed for weaving a narrative if the threads were actually present
Like, there were different animals featured in every episode- what’s up with that?
Several allusions to there being three witches
Several hints about Vision’s workplace
etc etc

The Making of doc is a decent watch. They do spend the most time just talking about the first episode in far more detail than any of the others.
Where have you seen this. I don't see it on Disney+. I only see 3 2 min previews on the extras and the 9 episodes in the episodes page.

There are many rumours running around the internet now that Benedict Cumberbatch actually was supposed to make an appearance in the finale, but Covid travel restrictions made it impossible as he was in New Zealand, and nothing could be worked out to get him to the filming site.

Supposedly, the Covid travel restrictions problem also kept Kat Denning from being available, which is why she isn't in any of the last scenes of the finale. Word is they tossed in the "debriefs are lame" line as an easy explanation for her character's absence. I can certainly see that part being true because it seemed really odd not to have her conversing with Monica and Jimmy for the ending.

While the show people have denied outright that Mephisto or Nightmare were ever supposed to be part of the story, none of them have denied that Dr. Strange was supposed to be in the finale. Instead, they've thrown vague answers about "things happen" and such.

There are many rumours running around the internet now that Benedict Cumberbatch actually was supposed to make an appearance in the finale, but Covid travel restrictions made it impossible as he was in New Zealand, and nothing could be worked out to get him to the filming site.

Supposedly, the Covid travel restrictions problem also kept Kat Denning from being available, which is why she isn't in any of the last scenes of the finale. Word is they tossed in the "debriefs are lame" line as an easy explanation for her character's absence. I can certainly see that part being true because it seemed really odd not to have her conversing with Monica and Jimmy for the ending.

While the show people have denied outright that Mephisto or Nightmare were ever supposed to be part of the story, none of them have denied that Dr. Strange was supposed to be in the finale. Instead, they've thrown vague answers about "things happen" and such.
yeah, this will never get to Lost/writers strike level, but we'll be talking about the what might have been for years

Spoilers if you haven't seen the show. But, if you're in here, by now you have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom