Want change? Find out what quarterbacks face by Pat Kirwan (More Brees) (1 Viewer)

dbnola

Reaction score
1. WHO IS THROWING THE DEEP BALL
In fact, it looks like the Saints should let Brees throw more deep balls because he has completed 5 of 10 for three touchdowns.

2. WHO IS GETTING THEIR PASSES KNOCKED DOWN
Getting passes knocked down is partially the QB's responsibility, and his release is part of the equation, along with good protection, and the ability to read coverages and get the ball out of his hand quickly. Brees is tied with Peyton Manning for the league lead with only 20 passes blocked.

3. WHO GETS IT DONE ON THIRD AND FOURTH DOWN
Everyone knows its money time on third down and fourth down if a team decides to throw it. The top three quarterbacks in the area of "clutch" passing are Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers and Brees. Those three entered Week 10 as the only three in the league who have completed over 50 percent of the "clutch" pass situations.

6. WHO HAS THE BEST THIRD-DOWN SITUATIONS
but he is judged on how well the team does to move the chains. For example, the Saints (6.15 yards per third-down attempt), Bears (6.27 yards per third-down attempt) and Chargers (6.39 yards per third-down attempt) are three of the best teams in the league, and it really helps Brees, Grossman and Rivers.

More here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9805429

Those are the topics we've been debating on past weeks.
Good read on QB.

1. WHO IS THROWING THE DEEP BALL
In fact, it looks like the Saints should let Brees throw more deep balls because he has completed 5 of 10 for three touchdowns.

2. WHO IS GETTING THEIR PASSES KNOCKED DOWN
Getting passes knocked down is partially the QB's responsibility, and his release is part of the equation, along with good protection, and the ability to read coverages and get the ball out of his hand quickly. Brees is tied with Peyton Manning for the league lead with only 20 passes blocked.

3. WHO GETS IT DONE ON THIRD AND FOURTH DOWN
Everyone knows its money time on third down and fourth down if a team decides to throw it. The top three quarterbacks in the area of "clutch" passing are Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers and Brees. Those three entered Week 10 as the only three in the league who have completed over 50 percent of the "clutch" pass situations.

6. WHO HAS THE BEST THIRD-DOWN SITUATIONS
but he is judged on how well the team does to move the chains. For example, the Saints (6.15 yards per third-down attempt), Bears (6.27 yards per third-down attempt) and Chargers (6.39 yards per third-down attempt) are three of the best teams in the league, and it really helps Brees, Grossman and Rivers.

More here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9805429

Those are the topics we've been debating on past weeks.
Good read on QB.

Great Post!

The passes knocked down is really "the telling quality" of Drew's ability.
Unlike Peyton, Drew is only 6' 1". To be tied for first with only 20 passes blocked all year, says it all:

His pocket awareness, his quick reads, his quick release. That is huge, but once again, it doesn't surprise me because we're seeing him do it EVERY WEEK, consistently.

If some folks still don't realize just how special this guy is, they're simply not paying attention.

Great post - again.

Last edited:
If you've ever seen Drew in person, he is a whole lot closer to 5'11" then he is 6'1". Which makes it more amazing.

QB height in the NFL is over-rated. Granted, i'm sure Drew Brees, Seneca Wallace, and Doug Flutie would have all prefered to be 6'5, but being short isn't a deal breaker. You have to throw with anticipation and rely on your pre-snap reads to keep track of where people will be and to know where the passing lanes will be. Sounds difficult, but in todays NFL all of that is nessecary anyways, whether you're 5'11 like Wallace or 6'6 like Andrew Walter.

QB height in the NFL is over-rated. Granted, i'm sure Drew Brees, Seneca Wallace, and Doug Flutie would have all prefered to be 6'5, but being short isn't a deal breaker. You have to throw with anticipation and rely on your pre-snap reads to keep track of where people will be and to know where the passing lanes will be. Sounds difficult, but in todays NFL all of that is nessecary anyways, whether you're 5'11 like Wallace or 6'6 like Andrew Walter.

Very true, LSSpam, but as you well know, it's alot easier said than done, particularly at such a high level (only 20 blocks for the season). That's what makes it so special to see Drew performing this way.

Very true, LSSpam, but as you well know, it's alot easier said than done, particularly at such a high level (only 20 blocks for the season). That's what makes it so special to see Drew performing this way.

I know, my only point is that all of the qualities nessecary for a short QB to survive in the NFL are also the same qualities which make a QB particularly effective in the short passing game. So how short Steve Young or Drew Brees were was always overrated because how they overcame that shortcoming also made them superior passers (and vice-versa). Consquently Drew Brees has less balls batted down then 6'5 Chris Simms who lacks many of those qualities (and consquently is half the QB). Size doesn't factor in so much as skill does. If you have talent, the size is much less consquential.

Thanks for the link!

Wish we had this back a few weeks when several people were claiming that Brees has more batted balls than normal because of his height.

Great Post!

The passes knocked down is really "the telling quality" of Drew's ability.
Unlike Peyton, Drew is only 6' 1". To be tied for first with only 20 passes blocked all year, says it all:

His pocket awareness, his quick reads, his quick release. That is huge, but once again, it doesn't surprise me because we're seeing him do it EVERY WEEK, consistently.

If some folks still don't realize just how special this guy is, they're simply not paying attention.

Great post - again.

Props to the Breeser for continuing to work on improving his game. He looks like he is getting stronger, and it looks like he has evidently worked on improving the timing of his deepball. Nonetheless, there is a time and place for it, and should not be overly relied upon, since it still is typically a lower %completion.

I was taken aback when they went empty backfield on obvious passing plays against the Steelers. I was thinking "max protect, max protect". But it is indicative that the O is continuing to progress, and that this must have been what folks were seeing when Drew was tossing it 40 times a game in college.

I suspect that this system is a better fit for all of the personnel, than what Brees had with the Chargers.

Thanks for the link!

Wish we had this back a few weeks when several people were claiming that Brees has more batted balls than normal because of his height.

They really weren't paying attention...

is this blocked passes anywhere on the field? it does seem that Drew has alot of batted balls AT THE LINE but i don't see many batted after they get over the d-line

Kirwan knows his stuff, I always enjoy his take on things on NFL Radio. Anyone else as happy as me to see we're not on the list for most dropped passes ? Funny how Donte goes to Philly and the Eagles are first in drops (but obviously mostly a coincidence since he's been hurt and not played the full year) ...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom