Want to know how to build a consistent winner? Draft talented high character players like Alvin Kamara (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Last edited:
Namely the fact that he's as unselfish a player as you'll find in the NFL.

I'm just curious what do you think he'll do next season when he's eligible for an extension?

He's on a fourth round salary producing first round production and he's seen two successful hold outs this year, one in a team mate (Thomas) and another in a RB taken Elliott for Dallas - both who got paid.

He would be foolish not to hold out and demand top dollar. At this point any talented RB would. RB's probably have the shortest careers on average out of every position in every sport. The nflpa should consider that for them. I won't hold it against him if he holds out. Not at all.

He would be foolish not to hold out and demand top dollar. At this point any talented RB would. RB's probably have the shortest careers on average out of every position in every sport. The nflpa should consider that for them. I won't hold it against him if he holds out. Not at all.

Bingo.

I expect us to do the exact same thing with Kamara that we did with Thomas: understand that we have a special player in the building, begin negotiations early, hold firm to numbers until we find a common ground (maybe even in camp) and keep a cornerstone of the franchise for years to come.

Bingo.

I expect us to do the exact same thing with Kamara that we did with Thomas: understand that we have a special player in the building, begin negotiations early, hold firm to numbers until we find a common ground (maybe even in camp) and keep a cornerstone of the franchise for years to come.
Correct both he and Thomas have played at a top-10 pick in the draft level since pretty much the very beginning of their careers.

I think we'll extend him in the offseason and make him roughly the highest paid running back in football, factoring in we've had a highly talented player averaging out to a very reasonable overall contract the first 8 years if the extension is 4 years.

So if we sign him to four years and 70 million dollars, then that would average out to 8 years at roughly 72 million dollars. I think we could all agree that 9 million a year for Alvin Kamara over 8 years is quite the steal.

Last edited:
He will do what any smart person would do. Negotiate and use his leverage to get what he's worth. Doesn't make him selfish to get what he's worth.
Our leverage will be that he gets paid a year ahead of time so he can take the risk of injury out of the equation.

Our leverage will be that he gets paid a year ahead of time so he can take the risk of injury out of the equation.
I think that's true. Saints will likely negotiate just before the season like they did with CGM. If they don't, I'd be concerned with how serious they are about keeping him long term. Considering, of course, how many other high level players have to be paid and who that money has to go towards.

I'm sure the Saints want to re-sign him but his asking price might be a deterrent. I could see the Saints playing him another year on his rookie contract and then tagging him for another year.

Kamara has gone on record stating he wants to be the highest paid RB in the league (no link, sorry).

I’ll probably get boo’d for this but I don’t think Payton has ever valued a RB that high.

That being said I hope we pay him, we saw a huge drop off in offense production when we lose Sproles / Bush and Kamara plays those roles way more consistently.

He will do what any smart person would do. Negotiate and use his leverage to get what he's worth. Doesn't make him selfish to get what he's worth.
Agreed. I think the Saints front office feels about Alvin like they do Thomas. They will want to pay him. Just got to see what he wants.
As an aside, Kamara has got to be making serious endorsement money. I don't think he is hurting right now.

Have to agree, you can't hold it against a player if he holds out, business is business. Using the same standard, you can't hold it against the Saints of they decide to go in another direction.

Kamara has gone on record stating he wants to be the highest paid RB in the league (no link, sorry).

I’ll probably get boo’d for this but I don’t think Payton has ever valued a RB that high.

That being said I hope we pay him, we saw a huge drop off in offense production when we lose Sproles / Bush and Kamara plays those roles way more consistently.

Payton hasn’t has a RB like Kamara before, that’s why he hasn’t valued them like that.

Exact same with WR with Thomas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom