Want to know how to build a consistent winner? Draft talented high character players like Alvin Kamara (1 Viewer)

Kamara has gone on record stating he wants to be the highest paid RB in the league (no link, sorry).

I think someone out there will be willing to make him that.

I’ll probably get boo’d for this but I don’t think Payton has ever valued a RB that high.

Payton hasn't shown us anything to believe he does, that said Kamara is by far the most talented back he's had in the stable in his tenure.

I think that's true. Saints will likely negotiate just before the season like they did with CGM. If they don't, I'd be concerned with how serious they are about keeping him long term. Considering, of course, how many other high level players have to be paid and who that money has to go towards.

I'm sure the Saints want to re-sign him but his asking price might be a deterrent. I could see the Saints playing him another year on his rookie contract and then tagging him for another year.

This is the conclusion I've been circling for four weeks now looking at next year. We have quite a few players that are going to be up for new contracts that are starters over the next two years. Their all high quality players and near the best in the league at their positions. We can't pay every player on the roster league breaking contracts.

The last two week stint has I think harmed Kamara's leverage with the Saints. Missing two weeks because of injury did two things in my opinion. It showed that he isn't capable of staying healthy when he's used heavily and that he isn't a four down back and that the team can survive without him. LM who is under contract 3 more years was extremely serviceable in his role the last two weeks, one week with a backup QB.

I wouldn't be shocked if we can't come to an agreement and he holds out and the Saints trade him for picks or other players.

I hate this outcome but, we made a statement with signing Thomas. To realize the value of that contract going forward we're going to have to invest in the QB position after this year. I question if we can do that while retaining Kamara and the slew of other talent coming up on contract.

I would be for trading Kamara to somebody with a top 5 pick to get a QB next season.

I would be for trading Kamara to somebody with a top 5 pick to get a QB next season.

Are you out of your mind????

A. There’s ZERO guarantee that any draft pick will work out.
B. Drew still has 2-3 good years, which a drafted QB won’t help and trading Kamara REALLY wouldn’t help.
C. Which QB is this automatic savior?

(Here are some NON “top 5”’draftees.....Mahomes, Watson, LJackson, basically all of the best young QBs.

Here’s some “top 5” QBs......Darnold, Mayfield, Trubisky.

Trade AK.....a young absolute stud for a sit wait and hope we hit “top 5” QB?

Last edited:
Didn’t some teams downgrade him because of the bull ring? Smh

Here’s the story from AK himself:

“I had a team before I went into a meeting, one of the guys came up to me and was like, ‘Well, you’re about to go in with the G.M. so, you know, he doesn’t really understand the nose rings and things like that. So you might want to — can you take them out or tuck them?’ I was like, ‘No,’ Kamara said.

“Basically, if you don’t understand it or you don’t like it, then you don’t need to draft me. It wouldn’t be a good choice to draft me.”

Meanwhile, Sean Payton’s take on AKs nose ring was something like, “It had to hurt!”

Payton hasn’t has a RB like Kamara before, that’s why he hasn’t valued them like that.

Exact same with WR with Thomas.

Yep!

Here’s what Payton said after working AK out prior to the draft:

"I said then, 'I've got to have that player,'" Payton says. "And it has been a while since I felt that way about anyone."

Kamara has gone on record stating he wants to be the highest paid RB in the league (no link, sorry).

I’ll probably get boo’d for this but I don’t think Payton has ever valued a RB that high.

That being said I hope we pay him, we saw a huge drop off in offense production when we lose Sproles / Bush and Kamara plays those roles way more consistently.

its probably more about supply and demand. He values them but there has been a huge supply of RBs that he has been able to plug into his system and get excellent production out of. Kamara is certainly more valuable than anyone he has had in the position to date but is going to come down to how much money you want tied to the position compared to how much value you would get with the next guy.

I think someone out there will be willing to make him that.

Payton hasn't shown us anything to believe he does, that said Kamara is by far the most talented back he's had in the stable in his tenure.

This is the conclusion I've been circling for four weeks now looking at next year. We have quite a few players that are going to be up for new contracts that are starters over the next two years. Their all high quality players and near the best in the league at their positions. We can't pay every player on the roster league breaking contracts.

The last two week stint has I think harmed Kamara's leverage with the Saints. Missing two weeks because of injury did two things in my opinion. It showed that he isn't capable of staying healthy when he's used heavily and that he isn't a four down back and that the team can survive without him. LM who is under contract 3 more years was extremely serviceable in his role the last two weeks, one week with a backup QB.

I wouldn't be shocked if we can't come to an agreement and he holds out and the Saints trade him for picks or other players.

I hate this outcome but, we made a statement with signing Thomas. To realize the value of that contract going forward we're going to have to invest in the QB position after this year. I question if we can do that while retaining Kamara and the slew of other talent coming up on contract.
Also isn't RB the most one of the most replaceable positions in football? Not a rhetorical question. I'm still fairly new to football and this is what I've heard

Also isn't RB the most one of the most replaceable positions in football? Not a rhetorical question. I'm still fairly new to football and this is what I've heard
Most are replaceable, yes. See Latavious Murray for Mark Ingram. But there are a handful or so that are unique. Kamara is one of those.

Replaceability is not really the question. Kamara cannot be replaced one-to-one. When you have a team built on outstanding talent, sacrifices have to be made to fit salaries under the cap.

Where will those sacrifices come from? Your guess is as good as mine. Kamara is a possibility. Ideally, we draft some talent where talent already exists on our team and trade our existing, expensive talent to rid ourselves of those contracts or upcoming contracts.

I'm sure Mickey and CSP have a plan in mind. They always do and we never know what that plan is until after things occur.

I really hope we can agree to a longterm extension. We have AK41 for at least 2 years though (next season and potential tag).

What do people think we’d get for him if we did trade him?

I really don’t want to see him go but we’ve got Lattimore and Ramcyzk that will need paying too and I think we’ll pay those two ahead of Kamara solely because of their position value.

I don't want us to use Kamara too much, we need him in the playoffs, so use Murry and washington some, especially if we have a nice lead

For you Who Dats who follows NFL salaries, what do you guess McCaffrey will get? Thx!
Right now Zeke is getting $15M per year avg. with $50M guaranteed. McC will get more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom