Want to know why we really lost? (2 Viewers)

christovas

Veteran
Reaction score
You'll be able to see from my account history that I rarely post, but something bothered me a lot about our lost to the Vikings and believe me, I never get hung up loses. The fact that a luke-warm team like the Vikings not only beat us, but trashed our league-leading rush defensive that was on an insane +40 game streak of keeping opposing running back to under <100. This had me scratching my head. I decided to watch the film and go watch some plays in slow motion and what i found shocked the hell out of me. First the takeaways: 1) Vikings are a bunch of dirty, filthy, cheating bastages. Scum. Never had anything against them, now i do. 2) The refs are clearly against us. If you doubt this, you're delusional and need to look at the film of that game like i just did. Statistically we've proven it, but if you have the chance to watch just the 1st quarter, you'll have more than enough proof.

What did I see?
First, you'll notice on every successful run, there is synchronized cut-blocking, or blocking below the waist (rule). It's not only an illegal move that carries a 15-yard penalty, it's been regarded by many as a very dirty play and many have seen season ending injuries as a result. Yes, i said SYNCHRONIZED. They were not only dumb enough to do it, but these idiots even did it in sync. Of course, they also got away with it over and over.

How often did I see this?
There were at least 10 in the first quarter alone. The plays where Cook gained +10 years, there were 2-4 lineman going straight for the knees of our Defensive Linemen. Our guys weren't pursuing, which we are VERY good at. They were trying to keep from snapping their ankles and knees. It was disgusting football to see these butt crevasses stoop to this level of play. When you see 3 dive for the knees, perfectly synchronized, it's impossible to make a case against it being intentional. Also, if they couldn't hit the knee or leg, they would simple fall in front of our players. I watched our guys, they were forking SAINTS, which P'Oed me off. This is football... If your opponent gets dirty, you get dirty. Some of the blame is on our coach.

What about the refs?
Wasn't hard to see, nor were the many holds. There was one 7-8 yard 1st down run by Cook and their lineman was literally holding two of our players (including Cam) with arms outstretched out like some Thor scene from Marvel movie (in front of the ref.) I originally didn't blame the refs for this lost for many reasons, mainly because our performance on the offensive side wasn't impressive. You could not ever convince me at this point the refs didn't see all these egregious violations of the rules. Vikings are scum, the refs are worse.

In summary, no we (the saints) did not lose the game and our players played good, clean playoff football and should be commended for it. I'm proud of them, but they needed to get dirty. We were cheated out of the game, but you can't completely blame the dirty -arse Vikings because refs were there looking straight at these plays. These Vikings wouldn't have broken 150 in combined offensive yards without most of those runs that were completely illegal as hell. That said, everything else was more or less Playoff football and by my definition clean, excluding the push off at the end. Outside of the runs, Vikings played clean ball. Regarding the last TD. I've seen video of it in 3 different speeds and multiple angles. That is a 100% OPI on the push-off. That is all.

Last edited:
Dennis Allen apparently is gonna be the only DC ever to make Cousins look like a world beater in a big game.

You realize the Saints are going to be the answer to the following trivia question?

Who is the only team that Kirk Cousins won a playoff game against?

Dennis Allen apparently is gonna be the only DC ever to make Cousins look like a world beater in a big game.

You realize the Saints are going to be the answer to the following trivia question?

Who is the only team that Kirk Cousins won a playoff game against?
Cousins won a playoff game when he was with Washington. But only one.

You'll be able to see from my account history that I rarely post, but something bothered me a lot about our lost to the Vikings and believe me, I never get hung up loses. The fact that a luke-warm team like the Vikings not only beat us, but trashed our league-leading rush defensive that was on an insane +40 game streak of keeping opposing running back to under <100. This had me scratching my head. I decided to watch the film and go watch some plays in slow motion and what i found shocked the hell out of me. First the takeaways: 1) Vikings are a bunch of dirty, filthy, cheating bastages. Scum. Never had anything against them, now i do. 2) The refs are clearly against us. If you doubt this, you're delusional and need to look at the film of that game like i just did. Statistically we've proven it, but if you have the chance to watch just the 1st quarter, you'll have more than enough proof.

What did I see?
First, you'll notice on every successful run, there is synchronized cut-blocking, or blocking below the waist (rule). It's not only an illegal move that carries a 15-yard penalty, it's been regarded by many as a very dirty play and many have seen season ending injuries as a result. Yes, i said SYNCHRONIZED. They were not only dumb enough to do it, but these idiots even did it in sync. Of course, they also got away with it over and over.

There were at least 10 in the first quarter alone. The plays where Cook gained +10 years, there were 2-4 lineman going straight for the knees of our Defensive Linemen. Our guys weren't pursuing, which we are VERY good at. They were trying to keep from snapping their ankles and knees. It was disgusting football to see these fat-arse Viking "football players" stoop to this level of play. When you see 3 dive for the knees, perfectly synchronized, it's impossible to make a case against it being intentional. Also, if they couldn't hit the knee or leg, they would simple fall in front of our players. I watched our guys, they were forking SAINTS, which P'Oed me off. This is football... If your opponent gets dirty, you get dirty. Some of the blame is on our coach.

What about the refs?
Wasn't hard to see, nor were the many holds. There was one 7-8 yard 1st down run by Cook and their lineman was literally holding two of our players (including Cam) with arms outstretched out like some Thor scene from Marvel movie (in front of the ref.) I originally didn't blame the refs for this lost for many reasons, mainly because our performance on the offensive side wasn't impressive. You could not ever convince me at this point the refs didn't see all these egregious violations of the rules. Vikings are scum, the refs are worse.

In summary, no we did not lose the game and our players played good, clean playoff football and should be commended for it. I'm proud of them, but they needed to get dirty. We were cheated out of the game, but you can't completely blame the dirty -arse Vikings because refs were there looking straight at these plays. These Vikings wouldn't have broken 150 in combined offensive yards without most of those runs that were completely illegal as hell. That said, everything else was more or less Playoff football and by my definition clean, excluding the push off at the end. Outside of the runs, Vikings played clean ball. Regarding the last TD. I've seen video of it in 3 different speeds and multiple angles. That is a 100% OPI on the push-off. That is all.

Why we lost. We didn't block, we didn't tackle, we had no pass rush, and we turned the ball over. The rest is just excuses. The problem with excuses is that they keep you from seeing your deficiencies.

View attachment ezgif.com-crop.mp4
3 ladies doing their synchronized birch move an refs turning a blind out. Hard to tackle a running back enough in the league. 6'3" +300 Lbs obstacles heading towards your legs make it rather "difficult." Blind side, behind the back push, below the waist. This isn't a rogue player or two. This is a coordinated effort, this was coached.

View attachment ezgif.com-crop.mp4
3 ladies doing their synchronized birch move an refs turning a blind out. Hard to tackle a running back enough in the league. 6'3" +300 Lbs obstacles heading towards your legs make it rather "difficult." Blind side, behind the back push, below the waist. This isn't a rogue player or two. This is a coordinated effort, this was coached.

That is the zone scheme made infamous by Alex Gibbs and carried on by Kubiak and others. It's a beast of blocking scheme meant to completely take the Defender out the play.
It was widely criticized but never really banned.

That is the zone scheme made infamous by Alex Gibbs and carried on by Kubiak and others. It's a beast of blocking scheme meant to completely take the Defender out the play.
It was widely criticized but never really banned.
It is in the rule book. It is illegal. Blocking targeting below the waistline is a 15 yard penalty in all leagues including the NFL. If you watch 4-5 run plays, you'll notice that the ones we completely blow up are the result of the Vikings playing clean blocking. My $.02 are that they realized they were extremely outmatched and had to do something, so they resorted to extremely dirty play. To their surprise, the refs didn't bat an eyelid at it and they would pull it out every 3rd run play throughout the entire game. There are other things to take away from that play, Just look you'll see holding on our secondary at the end of the play (not included in the Gif). 53 was being held to the point where he's trying to run backwards, no calls.

What did I see?

There were at least 10 in the first quarter alone. The plays where Cook gained +10 years, there were 2-4 lineman going straight for the knees of our Defensive Linemen. Our guys weren't pursuing, which we are VERY good at. They were trying to keep from snapping their ankles and knees. It was disgusting football to see these fat-arse Viking "football players" stoop to this level of play. When you see 3 dive for the knees, perfectly synchronized, it's impossible to make a case against it being intentional. Also, if they couldn't hit the knee or leg, they would simple fall in front of our players. I watched our guys, they were forking SAINTS, which P'Oed me off. This is football... If your opponent gets dirty, you get dirty. Some of the blame is on our coach.

What about the refs?

In summary, no we did not lose the game and our players played good, clean playoff football and should be commended for it. I'm proud of them, but they needed to get dirty. We were cheated out of the game, but you can't completely blame the dirty -arse Vikings because refs were there looking straight at these plays. These Vikings wouldn't have broken 150 in combined offensive yards without most of those runs that were completely illegal as hell. That said, everything else was more or less Playoff football and by my definition clean, excluding the push off at the end. Outside of the runs, Vikings played clean ball. Regarding the last TD. I've seen video of it in 3 different speeds and multiple angles. That is a 100% OPI on the push-off. That is all.
I'm just surprised that you had to go back and watch it and in slo-mo, no less.

I'm just surprised that you had to go back and watch it and in slo-mo, no less.
Honestly, there are so many of these runs just like this. 2 holds, 1 blind side hit, 3-4 Vikings on the ground. This almost looks like a Key and Peele skit doing sheet just to see if the refs will blow a whistle. I've watched our Saints for over 20 years now. Never seen anything like this. I mean honestly, when its this bad, you have to look at the Sean and go, "WTF were YOU doing?" Either point this sheet out to the refs, or tell the players to man up and fight fire with fire.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom